Vegetable Beef & Barley Soup.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Vegetable Beef & Barley Soup.
Here's a soup recipe that I'm in the process of dpoing right now! It is good, delicious, so satisfying and is one of those comfort foods that you'll LOVE to enjoy for the coming winter!!

Ingredients;

1 medium to large beef shank,
2 Tblsp olive oil.
2 small or medium carrots, peeled and sliced.
1 medium onion, chopped.
1 half bell pepper, chopped.
3 small stalks celery, chopped.
2 cloves garlic, chopped.

Seasonings;

1 or more dashes each;

Seasoned Salt.
Salt.
Ground black pepper
Garlic Powder.
Allspice.
Sylvia's Seasoning .
Cajun Seasoning.
Dash of sugar.
1 or 2 bay leaves.
1 can consume'.
1 can whole tomatoes.
About 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley.
2 to 5 medium size potatoes, peeled and cut into medium-size chunks.
1 cup mixed vegetables.

Directions;

Heat oil in 5-qt Dutch Oven.

Season beef shank lightly on both sides and add to hot oil. Brown on both sides until well-brown and carmelized, as you would with a pot roast.

Add chopped veggies and garlic on top of meat. Add beff consume' and 3 eaqual cans of water. Chop whole tomeatoes from can and add to pot. Add 1 equal can of water.

Add dashes of spices above and bay leaves. Let liquid come to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook for 90 minuytes to 2 hours, at least until meat is tender around shank bone.

Remove meat from liquid, let it cool slightly, the remove from bone and chop coarsely. Return meat to veggie liquid. Add quick-cooking barley, mixed veggies and potatoes.

Cook for at least 10 to 15 minutes more. Adjust seasonings if need or desired. Skim off any fat that has come to the top of the liquid.

This is a good way to used up salvagable veggies, or any leftovers that you might have in the fridge!

Pics coming.

Enjoy!
smile.gif

Attachments

• 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 200
  • 064.jpg
    064.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 065.jpg
    065.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 195

Shermie

Site Supporter
One more pic; The finished product! Great for the coming winter! :biggrin:

Attachments

• 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh man! Wish I had some of that for lunch today! For me, I'd omit the potatoes and add more BARLEY!!! Yum!

Now, this is the third or fourth time in 2 weeks that I've heard talk of "beef shanks", where I'd never heard of before!

I am going to look for one.

Thanks, Sherm!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
You welcome, and thanx YOU!!

I like making soups, and I think that THIS one is a real winner!!! That's what I'm going to do this winter! Make tons of soup to eat and enjoy, right into the spring!!!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
What a great one at an absolutely great time of year. Beef Shank is a mega comfort food and with the weather turning colder, I can really taste this one.

Thank You

Andy

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I am a big fan of soups also. We will cook down the rest of the rotisserie chicken tomorrow and make some chicken corn soup.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thax, Lifesaver91958!! It IS good!! Next time I do this, I think I'll use the pressure cooker to speed things up.

Last edited: