Roasted Brussels Sprouts

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
A little over a year ago I made a post about a Trader Joe's recipe for Brussels Sprouts but it contained maple syrup and was too sweet for my taste. Any recipes would be appreciated because I love Brussels sprouts and want to do these in the oven or on the grill, sans syrup.

The brown goo is from the syrup but it's the only picture I have....

Brussels Sprout Stalk.jpg

Leni

Try adding freshly grated nutmeg to your sprouts. I also like to add freshly grated parmesan. I love them too and will take a look through my cookbooks.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The roasted sprouts on the stalk make for a very impressive presentation, but yeah, I agree with you, Buzz, not with maple syrup!

I am really interested in hearing ideas for this, too!

Lee

Leni

Brussels Sprouts and Chestnuts

12 Chestnuts
3 cups chicken stock
4 small celery stalks without the leaves
1 strip lemon zest
2 cups small Brussels sprouts
juice of 1/2 lemon
3 tbs unsalted butter
salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Using a small sharp knife make a gash on the flat side of each chestnut. Pour the stock into a saucepan and bring it to a boil over high heat. Add the chestnuts, celery, and lemon zest. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the chestnuts are tender, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, carefully trim the sprouts, discarding any old or wilted leaves. Place in a large frying pan in a single layer and add water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat and add the lemon juice. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer uncovered until barely tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well and set to one side.

Drain the chestnuts, discard the celery and lemon zest. Peel the chestnuts while warm.

Melt the butter in the same large frying pan over medium heat. Add the chestnuts, salt to taste and the cayenne. Saute to brown and glaze, about 5 minutes. Add the Brussels sprouts and sauté over low heat until heated through and tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish and serve hot.

I've never made this recipe so if you make it let me know how you like it.