Net Cooking Talk

Go Back   Net Cooking Talk > Cooking Talk Forums > Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes Forum

Old 05-27-2010, 09:38 PM
Master Chef

Keltin is on a distinguished road
Default Meatloaf in a Crock Pot!

I’ve mentioned this before, but never grabbed pics. We did this again tonight and I have pics now. The key here is to make your loaf the day before and let it sit in the fridge. Then 4 hours before dinner, start the CP on high. This makes a great meatloaf, and does not heat up your house since the CP doesn’t put out that much heat.

Use your favorite meatloaf recipe for this. For the sake of completeness, I’ve included the recipe for meatloaf that I use.

Meatloaf in a Crock Pot

Ingredients

---Loaf---
3 lbs Ground Beef
1 pack Onion Soup Mix
2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
3 Tbsp Ketchup
1 tsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp Ground White Pepper
1/2 cup Diced Onion (optional)

---Sauce---
1/4 cup BBQ Sauce
1/4 cup Ketchups
1 Tbsp Honey
1 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp Teriyaki sauce

Procedure

Mix everything together and form into a large round “loaf” (or patty if you will). It should be around 10” in diameter and 2” - 3” tall. The most important part is that the diameter of the loaf must be LESS than the capacity of your Crock Pot (CP). You don’t want the meat lying against the walls.

Place a trivet in the CP. Now place the loaf on top of the trivet. The trivet keeps the loaf off the floor and out of the fat.

It is best to make your loaf ahead of time, then place it on the trivet in a removable crock the night before. Store the loaded crock in the fridge. This not only allows the flavors to blend into the meat, but it makes the next day’s dinner SO easy.

When you are ready to begin cooking, put the crock back in the base and set it for high. Let it cook covered and undisturbed for 4 hours. Now sauce the loaf with your favorite sauce and then cover and allow to cook another 20 - 30 minutes.

I’ve also included my recipe for meatloaf sauce. Simply mix all the ingredients in a bowl, and then paint your loaf with it using a basting brush.

Slice the loaf into slices long ways (makes for easier sandwiches) or slice it into “cake” wedges which is always fun at dinner time! Kids love that!

Form your loaf!

Place the loaf on a trivet in your removable crock. Store the crock in the fridge, overnight until ready to cook the next day.

Four hours in and time to sauce.

Sauced and ready to rest for 5 -10 minutes before cutting and serving.

And why use the trivet? To keep your loaf out of all this fat! Much more healthy this way.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Joyfully Retired

MexicoKaren is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Meatloaf in a Crock Pot!

That looks really good. With the very lean ground beef sold here in Mexico, it is hard to get a meatloaf to come out juicy and moist in the oven. It is usually dry as sawdust. I'll try the crockpot. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
That looks really good. With the very lean ground beef sold here in Mexico, it is hard to get a meatloaf to come out juicy and moist in the oven. It is usually dry as sawdust. I'll try the crockpot. Thanks!
This technique would work wonderfully with very lean beef.

Also, consider adding some fatty breakfast sausage or pork sausage to your loaf for a little extra fat.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Joyfully Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltin
Also, consider adding some fatty breakfast sausage or pork sausage to your loaf for a little extra fat.
I do use about 1/3 ground pork when I make meatloaf (it has a bit more fat than the ground beef), but there really isn't any ground breakfast sausage available here, unless you count chorizo. Now, that might be a tasty addition to my meatloaf - I'll have to ponder on that.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Master Chef

Quote:
I do use about 1/3 ground pork when I make meatloaf (it has a bit more fat than the ground beef), but there really isn't any ground breakfast sausage available here, unless you count chorizo. Now, that might be a tasty addition to my meatloaf - I'll have to ponder on that.

Chorizo in meatloaf???? That sounds incredible!! If you do it, you MUST tell us how it went!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Joyfully Retired

Might be good...maybe add some salsa, some queso fresca on the top. If I try it, I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:54 PM
Master Chef

Quote:
Might be good...maybe add some salsa, some queso fresca on the top. If I try it, I'll keep you posted.
Posted????

Invite me to dinner!!
Old 05-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Joyfully Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltin
Invite me to dinner!
What a nice surprise that would be! If any of you make it down our way, you KNOW that you would be invited to dinner!
Old 05-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Restaurant Chef

Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,314 Posts
lilbopeep will become famous soon enoughlilbopeep will become famous soon enough
Style: Gonzo

that looks wonderful but you left out an important step. How the heck did you left it out of the crock still in tact and ON THE RACK? 2 tongs?

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Never explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it anyway.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbopeep View Post
that looks wonderful but you left out an important step. How the heck did you left it out of the crock still in tact and ON THE RACK? 2 tongs?
Exactly. I used two sets of tongs to grab each side of the trivet and lift it up. Works well.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Master Chef

Here are the plate pics. We made a “country” meal of the meatloaf. We had cornbread, lima beans, cabbage, and mac-n-cheese.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Joyfully Retired

Oh, I want that! Lima beans!!! (I guess I have covered this elsewhere on the site, but I cannot get them here in Mexico.) That whole plate looks absolutely delicious!
Old 05-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Grill Master

mhend is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltin View Post
Here are the plate pics. We made a “country” meal of the meatloaf. We had cornbread, lima beans, cabbage, and mac-n-cheese.

Cornbread looks good!!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Restaurant Chef

Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,314 Posts
lilbopeep will become famous soon enoughlilbopeep will become famous soon enough
Style: Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltin View Post

poetry it meatloaf!!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Never explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it anyway.