I want barley instead of potatoes

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm going to make a lamb stew, but instead of using potatoes, I would prefer to use barley.

Can anyone tell me how to use the barley? How much? Do I add it in raw with the rest of the ingredients? Do I cook it first?

Here's the recipe I am going to use. How should I adapt it for the barley?

TIA!

Lee

Irish Lamb Stew (crockpot)

2 1/2 cups chicken broth
5 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 leeks, white part sliced (or one large onion)
4 cloves chopped garlic
1 lb potatoes, scrubbed and cubed (about 5 medium, or 6 small)
3 lbs lamb neck pieces or shoulder chops
1 pkg frozen peas
salt
pepper
pinch of fresh rosemary (optional)

Heat the chicken broth in a saucepan to boiling. Put all the fresh vegetables in the crockpot and place the lamb on top of the vegetables.

Pour the chicken stock over all. Add salt and pepper. Sprinkle just a pinch of fresh minced rosemary on top.

Cook on HIGH for about 4 hours or LOW for about 8 hours. Add frozen peas for last 30 minutes.

Serve with crusty bread.

PanchoHambre

hmm Q I see two thoughts

if you dont cook the barley first it will absorb more of the flavor from the stew and taste more integrated, since it is a slow cooking recipe it should def be done, maybe over done though but that would not be so bad. Also I think the barley will absorb more liquid than potatoes so maybe adjust or keep an eye on it to make sure it does not go dry

If you cook it first and add at the end you have more control over texture but the flavors will be less integrated.

trial and error would tell you exactly when to add the barley and how much to adjust for liquid

I throw barley in soup, it adds a nice texture and holds together well - I just usually throw a handfull in at the beginning but not sure if you made it a bigger part of the dish you need to pay more attention.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i'll generally cook barley seperately in litely salted h2o/stock, then pour the cooked soup/stew over the barley. then it keeps its texture, & the amount per person can be adjusted, & won't cloud the soup.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
barley is one of my favs - I've found pre-cooking is as an "all around" approach better. just like rice, you can use stock / etc.

for two - 100 g barley, 300 g water
bring to a boil, in a 350'F oven 20 minutes, let stand covered for 10-15 mins past that.

Shermie

Site Supporter
In making soups, such as veggie beef & barley, I always add the barley during the last 45 minutes of so of cooking.

To me, I don't add the barley or rice at the beginning for the same reason that I wouldn't add the potatoes at the beginning of the cooking time!

If either is added at the beginning or middle, they tends to 'drink up' most of the liquid and make the soup look more like oatmeal, mashed potatoes of excessively soft rice instead!!

Also, I use quick barley now instead of the regular one. It is flatter and looks like oatmeal flakes. Check out my recipe for Veggie Beef & Barley Soup. You'll see in one of the pics where I've added the barley with the potatoes.