Howdy!!

The Tourist

Banned
Hey, thanks, guys. I think this is going to be fun.

The connection between chefs and tinkers has always been spirited and something to which I've always looked forward.

And I'd like to be part of something that's growing.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Hello from Kentucky

My name is Joe and have been a member on both knife forums and Foodie forum for a couple of years now. I'm a home cook and a bit of a knife collector and a Chinese cleaver user mostly. I came over and signed up this morning after seeing a post at knife forums by Chico (The Tourist). Hope to learn much here as I have in the other forums. :wave:

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Hey Joe, welcome to NCT... glad you joined us!!! I'm a home cook as well... don't do chef stuff, but love to cook.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I am also older than some rocks with 4 grown kids, 17 grand kids and a great grand son. My weekends are usually busy feeding those that actually live here so I often feel like a short order cook. I am part owner in a self storage facility in Lexington where my wife of 43 years live and manage as a team. I have one 15 year old grand daughter that lives with my wife and I.

My grand mother (worlds best cook) taught me to cook as a kid, mostly Hungarian and Italian foods but a bit of everything really. I've branched out over years due to traveling to 94 countries in 3 years and eating a lot of different foods in my travels.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Chico. Welcome to Net Cooking Talk!!!
Thanks to Sattie for referring you! :D
We needed this growth spurt. :D
Enjoy and post often!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Joe! Great to meet you. Welcome to Net Cooking Talk! I'm glad you came over and signed up. I'm just north of you in South Eastern Ohio. Right on the Ohio River in Meigs county.
I hope you guys will share pics of your knives. Sounds cool.
Enjoy and post often. :thumb:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've down size my knife collection a bit lately and added a few so I will take some more pictures and post my current collection perhaps by the weekend. I will make up an album or would it be better to post them here?

Thanks all and some of the recipes posted here looked great. I have a few that I like also.

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Howdy!!! Good to meet ya! :wave: I think if you posteed the photos in some thread it would be great! Either though is fine. Just easier to see the photos while putting them in a thread. :biggrin:

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Hey... I love my dogs!!! I was just trying to show how un-important I am!!!

Here is Binks... my turd of a dog that does not know better, but keeps a smile on my face!!! As you can see, Binks has his little paws in a prayer stance. Probably praying I feed him more food. LOL!

RestinBinks.jpg

And here is Boots... the old man. He is about 15 or so. Deaf, going blind... pees alot, but still hanging in there!!

hammy008.jpg

They are sooooooo freakin CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awwwwwwww:wub:
I bet you spoil the little guys! :chef:

The Tourist

Banned
Thanks, GM. In fact, I just finished "a few fingers" of Don Julio. It's been a long day, and I'm just sitting in front of the computer, killing time.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
No problem then will do it in a tread. Glad to be here and thanks all for the warm welcome. :)

Nica

Hi Joe.....Glad you joined up.
icon7.gif

I'm in south cen KS, the rolling red hills of Barber county. I'm a grandpa too, but no great grand kids. My oldest grandchild will be 13 in Nov.

I'm new at growing gardens and preserving food, but having a ball learning.
icon10.gif

Most of us aren't shy when it comes to posting pictures. I'd like to see some of your knives and look forward to your postings.

Again, glad your here! :thumb:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We do a bit of gardening ourselves though we don't have a lot of room for it. We live in a small 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment at the storage facility. We do have a nice garden window so we can grow some herbs and peppers year around. I had a bumper crop of sweet basil this year and will let 2 plants go to seed for next year. I will take the rest up and dry it with a dehydrator then grind it up for the winter months. We also got some flat leaf parsley, egg plant, cucumbers, but no luck with the tomatoes this year at all. Good looking plants but now fruit so far that can be picked. We have had snow here by Halloween the last 3 years and I doubt the few tomatoes will be rip enough to pick by then. We also grow thyme, tarragon, sage, and chives but those grow in the garden window year around.

I have a custom made cleaver out for some modifications at the moment and I've sold off a lot of what I had originally. As soon as the cleaver comes back I will post some current pictures of what I have now. Including the cleaver and 4 custom cutting boards made by the Boardsmith.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I posted a few pictures over in the kitchen tools section under Doc's thread of favoite knives and brands.

waybomb

Thanks, GM. In fact, I just finished "a few fingers" of Don Julio. It's been a long day, and I'm just sitting in front of the computer, killing time.

If you can find some Frida Kahlo Anejo, try it. I think you'll like it. Casta Pasion is noce as well.

smoke king

Banned
Hi from Sunny Nebraska!!

Hi-I'm Smoke King, 49 y.o, and I hail from sunny Elkhorn, Nebraska.

All of my culinary "expertise" is self-taught (thank you internet) and I got interested in cooking about 6 years ago (thank you food network!!)

I'm no expert, and no doubt will likely take more than I am able to give, but I will always try to pay it forward.

I look forward to making some new friends here (as well as getting re-aqquainted with some old ones;))

Thanks for having me!!!!

Nica

Hi there and welcome. :tiphat: We're glade you're here and hope you post often. Let us know what you've been up to in the kitchen, garden, grilling, or whatever. :thumb:

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
YEA!!!!! SK!!!! I'm so happy you joined! Good to see ya again buddy!!! Ok, now I am waiting on the tatt pics!!!!

Pull up a chair and make yourself at home!!!!

Deelady

Hello!!

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself! Cooking has been my #1 passion since I can remember. I use to read cookbooks as a kid for fun! And still am known to just sit with a good recipe book and just read!:biggrin: And now I see my 1 yr old do the same! lol

Well I look forward to joining in and getting to know you all! :wave:

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Hi TOOTS!!! Glad you joined... come on in and have a look, make yourself at home!!!

Ok.. I have to say I did not know that about you... that you read cookbooks for fun? Actually I think that is a great way of getting ideas and inspirations for new recipes. I may have to try that!!!

Great to have you!!

Deelady

Thank you, you two!
Glad to be here girly, yeah I was teased quite a bit about it, but they shut their mounths fast when I started actually making the dishes that came out of those cookbooks....then they started making requests!:shifty:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Deelady and smoke king.
Welcome to Net Cooking Talk (aka NCT)!!! I'm glad you found us.
Please .... enjoy and post often. :thumb: :D

Deelady

LOL wow what a coincidence smoke king!! What are the chances???:whistling:

And thank you for the welcome! You will see me often! :biggrin:

Deelady

Glad to meet you! And glad to be here!

Right now I'd have to say Balsamic sesame wings, the plate is left bare in under 5 mins each time! I have to save one for myself in the kitchen before I send them out if I hope to have any.:mrgreen:

The Tourist

Banned
I know how guarded chefs can be with a favorite dish, so I'll understand if you speak in generalities.

Can you tell us a little about the prep on those wings?