Parkerhouse Rolls?

Shermie

Site Supporter
Does anyone have a good recipes for these?

I had one many years ago in a Family Circle cookbook, but lost the book and along with it, the gorgeous recipe for the rolls, which was a very good one!!

Now I'm going bonkers trying to find a good replacement recipe for it, to which I have not found yet!! Can someone try to help me out, please?

Thank you if you do. :bonk:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I have not tried this recipe but, I have been saving it for quite some time and it is on my "to do" list. I love Sister Shubert rolls and this is supposed to be the recipe from their cookbook.

The parkerhouse rolls I make came from Sister's Schubert's Secret Bread Recipes Book. It was first published in a lady's magazine, years back....I make this recipe x4 almost everyday..sometimes 2x a day!!!!

I use a 3" biscuit cutter...Sister uses a 2"....I get about 45 rolls..she gets 64. I like mine better cause even using a larger cutter, they are still small, as they should be!! These are great hot as dinner rolls or room temp with a slice of fried, baked ham or chicken salad.....as a finger sandwich.

SISTER SCHUBERT'S PARKERHOUSE ROLLS
Yield 64 rolls

1 pkg yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (105-115 degrees)
5 cups sifted flour, divided
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening, melted
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/4 cups flour

Combine yeast and warm water in a 2 cup liquid measuring cup, let stand 5 minutes. Combine 4 cups flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Stir in yeast mix and shortening. Add eggs and remaining 1 cup flour. Stir vigorously till well blended. (dough will be soft and sticky). Brush or lightly rub with some of melted butter. Cover loosely, let rise in warm place for 1-1/2 hours or till doubled. Grease 4 (8") round cake pans and set aside. Sift 3/4 cups flour in a thick layer and turn dough onto surface. Sift the 1/2 cup flour over dough, roll dough to 1/2" thickness, brush off excess flour. Cut dough with floured 2-inch cutter. Pull each round into an oval, approximately 2-1/2-inches long. Dip one side of oval in melted butter, fold oval in half with butter side facing out. (I use a brush for this cause dipping makes them greasy..too much butter)

For each pan, place the folds of 10 rolls against side of pan, pressing center fronts of rolls together gently to seal. Place 5 rolls in inner circle and one in the center for total of 16 rolls/per pan. Cover loosely and let rise in warm place for 1 hour or till doubled.

Preheat oven to 400, bake uncovered for 12-15 minutes or till lightly browned.

Sister Schubert's Secret Bread Recipes

Chiqui Note: I do these on a half sheet pan that is lined with parchment paper. I under bake them about 6-8 min or so just until they start to brown. Cool completely and wrap in plastic real well; then freeze. To heat: Place on a cookie sheet in a single layer either frozen or thawed. Bake at 350* for about 15-20 min. til browned and piping hot. Make plenty!!!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
That's sounds like a good one, Mama!!

When I get back from Philadelphia, I'll copy and paste this recipe using Microsoft Word Pad, send it to the printer and then heat laminate it to keep it from getting messed up.

Thanx!

Of course, there are others as well, that someone might want to share. I think I'll Google the recipe as well. :eating2:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yay!!!

I looked on Amazon.com and found the two old cookbooks that I had and foolishly lost.

One was the 1972 Betty Crocker Cookbook, and the other one is the olod Family Circle Cookbook, which should still have the Parkerhouse Roll recipe in it. I'll oder them in a few weeks. :cooking: :wow:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Sister Schubert's rolls Rock!

Sherman, I have a 70's Betty Crocker Cookbook, but I don't know if it's '72. I'll look.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the frozen re-bake Sister Schubert products I've bought / used / eaten failed to impress.

like failed ultra-big-time.

have I missed something?

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sister Schubert's rolls Rock!

Sherman, I have a 70's Betty Crocker Cookbook, but I don't know if it's '72. I'll look.

Now I remember!

I gave away the '72 version of the Betty Crocker Cookbook, and I should have kept it because it was my very first cookbook ever!!!

When I get it again from Amazon.com, I will NEVER part with it again!!! :yuk:

Last edited:

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
I have the Better Homes and Garden one as well as Betty Crocker ones. Not sure of year, will look when I get home. We were married in 1966 and they were gifts.

Shermie

Site Supporter
The '72 edditon of the Betty Crocker Cookbook is still availible as being new, according to Amazon, so when I'm ready to order it, I'll get it new!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm about to order the Family Circle cookbook, since it is only $1 at Amazon.com.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I've ordered the Family Circle Cookbook and it is on it's way here. It should be here before or by April 4.

It is used, so I just hope that the recipe for the parker house rolls is still in there and is not missing!

Shermie

Site Supporter
The Family Circle cookbook came today with the recipe still intact, though the book is pretty beat up.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm going to get the NEW one if it is available next week. This one is pretty beat up!!! Should have known better!! It was only for $1. you get what you pay for!!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
I got a much better Family Circle cookbook!

It's still used, but it is in much better condition than the one previously ordered!! It even has the slip cover on it and still completely intact. I tossed the raggedy beat up one in the trash.

I'm seriously thinking about doing the recipe in it for the Parker House Rolls on Sunday.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'd have to first type it on Microsoft Word Pad, then scan it and then post it.

Which I hope to do this weekend sometime.