Smoke Point of various Oils

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I thought you all might find this useful.

Smoke Point of Oils and Such.
Fat Smoke Point °F Smoke Point °C
Unrefined canola oil 225°F 107°C
Unrefined flaxseed oil 225°F 107°C
Unrefined safflower oil 225°F 107°C
Unrefined sunflower oil 225°F 107°C
Unrefined corn oil 320°F 160°C
Unrefined high-oleic sunflower oil 320°F 160°C
Extra virgin olive oil 320°F 160°C
Unrefined peanut oil 320°F 160°C
Semirefined safflower oil 320°F 160°C
Unrefined soy oil 320°F 160°C
Unrefined walnut oil 320°F 160°C
Hemp seed oil 330°F 165°C
Butter 350°F 177°C
Semirefined canola oil 350°F 177°C
Coconut oil 350°F 177°C
Unrefined sesame oil 350°F 177°C
Semirefined soy oil 350°F 177°C
Vegetable shortening 360°F 182°C
Lard 370°F 182°C
Macadamia nut oil 390°F 199°C
Refined canola oil 400°F 204°C
Semirefined walnut oil 400°F 204°C
High quality (low acidity) extra virgin olive oil 405°F 207°C
Sesame oil 410°F 210°C
Cottonseed oil 420°F 216°C
Grapeseed oil 420°F 216°C
Virgin olive oil 420°F 216°C
Almond oil 420°F 216°C
Hazelnut oil 430°F 221°C
Peanut oil 440°F 227°C
Sunflower oil 440°F 227°C
Refined corn oil 450°F 232°C
Refined high-oleic sunflower oil 450°F 232°C
Refined peanut oil 450°F 232°C
Refined Safflower oil 450°F 232°C
Semirefined sesame oil 450°F 232°C
Refined soy oil 450°F 232°C
Semirefined sunflower oil 450°F 232°C
Olive pomace oil 460°F 238°C
Extra light olive oit 468°F 242°C
Soybean oil 495°F 257°C
Safflower oil 510°F 266°C
Avocado oil 520°F 271°C

The Tourist

Banned
This is info I need!

JoeC, man am I glad you printed this! For a guy like me, this is the difference between trying a new meal and the screaming of a smoke alarm!

I'm thinking about getting one of those "laser temp guns" I saw Alton Brown use. I have enough "municiple employees" at my home as it is!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I also make Ghee (clarified butter) that I cook a lot with especially when grilling a steak, always put a bit on before done. Its smoke point is also well higher than normal butter since the fats and water are removed.

Locutus

I also make Ghee (clarified butter) that I cook a lot with especially when grilling a steak, always put a bit on before done. Its smoke point is also well higher than normal butter since the fats and water are removed.

Joe,

I've never made Ghee. How about a tutorial??:chef:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Sure here is the method I use and it smells like you feel into a butter popcorn machine while you make it. Any good quality low salt butter will work even Land O Lakes.

use 4 sticks (or 1 lb.) of regular, unsalted butter. (I actaully do 2 lbs at a time as it fills a 1 qt jar)

Melt the Butter
Let's begin. Put all the butter into a pot, and cook it on a low heat. In a few minutes, the butter will melt, the foam will rise to the top, and bubbles will be bursting.
Scoop the Foam From the Butter

Once the foam appears, lower the heat to an even lower degree and scoop off the foam with a spoon.

Continue to cook the butter on a low heat for about 5-15 minutes, or until the butter becomes very clear and the milk solids on the bottom become a light brown.

Pour the Butter Through a Filter
Now turn the heat off and let the pot stand for 2 minutes, allowing everything to settle before straining everything into a jar through a coffee filter or a cheese cloth.
Once everything is in the jar, let it cool and solidify.
Store the Ghee
Your clarified butter is now ready and can be stored at room temperature for up to a year. You can now use it a as a dip for lobster sauce, an Indian food, or as a substitute for any recipe at all that calls for butter.

AllenOK

*Bump

Joe, I couldn't do any better.

If you really want a treat, make some plain popcorn, and put the foamy solids over the popcorn. Toss. Enjoy.

I've also been known to spread a little over freshly baked bread. Even if you use unsalted butter, the solids are incredibly salty.

Hmmmm....maybe one of the more experienced bakers here could make a loaf of bread and incorporate some foamy solids into the dough?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Allen glad you liked it. Like I said I love the stuff and really prefer it to whole butter for cooking. Like the whole butter though on my vegetables but ghee on my steaks and other meats.

Last edited:

AllenOK

Whole butter has it's uses. I use it to finish or "mount" a sauce at the very end, or I will use whole butter to add flavor to veggies.

Whole butter usually burns when you cook with it, so I tend to use clarified to cook with.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Whole butter smoke point is about 350°F 177°C while Ghee (Indian Clarified Butter), 485°F, 252°C which is even higher than some well refined cooking oils.