Race For The Cure - Northern Wisconsin

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Today was a big day - the First Annual Race For The Cure right here in little old Wausau, Wisconsin. My wife Fran, a survivor, had been looking forward to this Saturday for a long time. I was amazed at the amount of participation and the organizational skills involved. DW was in the best mood I'd seen her in since surgery more than two and half years ago. Kudos to everyone involved in this wonderful group.

We were part of a group of around twenty. This picture was taken when we met at my place prior to the race. From left to right, my real baby, my Babe baby, and my real baby's baby.

My Girls.jpg

Former Olympian Suzy Favor Hamilton firing up the crowd.

Suzy.jpg

View from above - the central meeting place on the city square.

View From Above.jpg

Hamilton & DW near the finish line.

Suzy&Fran.jpg

End of the race.

Finish Line.jpg

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Hey, Buzz - kudos to you and your beautiful wife for taking part in such an important event. I have one of those pink survivor hats, as well. Might encourage your wife to tell her that, for me, it has been 25 years!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, Buzz - kudos to you and your beautiful wife for taking part in such an important event. I have one of those pink survivor hats, as well. Might encourage your wife to tell her that, for me, it has been 25 years!

Thanks, Karen. I told her and she responded with a big smile.

We crewmembers are very susceptible to various cancers. I've had three malignant skin cancers removed so far.

DW, 35 year flight attendant - risk

Me, 36 years flying jets - risk

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Buzz,
I hate cancer. I contribute when I can.
My best friend was diagnosed with small cell cancer in both lungs.
He is in the Hospice, at Fort Miley Veterans Hospital.
DW & or I, drive to The City (70 Mi Round trip)at least 3 times a week, to either bring him something, take him to the beach or Giants Game, or just visit.
I love Survivor Stories, and I am not ashemed to wear Pink. Fran is Beautiful. I wish you both Happiness and Health always.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Bless Fran and you too Buzz.
I too know about breast cancer and survival and that's all I'm gonna say about that ;)

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, two years have passed. I forgot to post last year's event...

Today was the 2012 rendition of the Race For The Cure and a good time was had by all.

Granddaughter Sam is growing up fast.

Attachments

• Sam4NCT.jpg
    Sam4NCT.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 105

Leni

So far my generation has been lucky. Breast cancer runs in the family so we have a mamogram every year. I've had several precancerous lesions removed from my skin. That is because I practically lived at the beach until I married.

Leni

Very interesting articles Buzz.

There were four pilots in my family and two flight attendents. My Uncle died of Parkinsons. My Aunt had colon cancer. Their son died in a plane crash. My grandfather had bladder cancer. Mom had breast cancer but survived it. Dad had to have skin cancers removed but then he was also an avid surfer. My other cousin was a flight attendent for only a short time. She became a French teacher.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great photos, Buzz!

You have lovely girls in your family!

Lee