Steak on a Stone

homecook

This is a restaurant we went to tonight for my birthday. It was good and had the "different" factor. You can choose the stone cooking or choose something else off the menu for them to make. Most of their menu was Greek influenced. We (DH, DS and I) chose to do stone cooking just for the experience.
We got two appetizers to share, calamari and scallops. Both were outstanding!
DH got the filet and DS and I got the ribeye, 16 oz. Kilimanjaro. LOL The stones start off at 750F and by the time they're brought to the table they're about 450F.They had the steaks on the stone when brought to the table and you were to slice a piece off and cook it. It only took but seconds for med. rare. I also had a salad and baked potato. You also got two dipping sauces so we chose mushrooms/cabernet, jack daniels, bernaisse, blue cheese, peppercorn merlot and something else, don't remember. I ate mine plain. DH got Greek potatoes and DS got oven baked green beans and sweet potato fries. It was definitely a different and fun experience.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 68
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 68

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I think I.....

I'm about ready to......

CARP!

I can't think of anything to say except that was FREAKING AWESOME! I want to do that!! Cheers to you and DS! :beer:

Deelady

Awww what a fun Birthday dinner! Let alone YUMMY!!!

Glad you had a great night! You deserve it sweetie!! :D

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
That looks like so much fun, Barb! I've never heard of cooking on a stone, but that steak looks divine. Andrew is the best son ever!!!

homecook

Thanks everyone! The funniest part was half way through the meal and we hear this noise like a loud crack. DH looks down and the plate the stone was sitting in had cracked straight through. LOL They said it happens about 5% of the time and they haven't figured out why.
Andrew was so proud of himself for picking up the tab. Of course he kept eyeing our waitress too. LMAO

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
One of the perks of having good looking kids - you get awesome service!! I'll bet the waitress was eyeing Andrew, too.

homecook

Come to think of it, she did keep coming back to the table on the pretense of filling his pop glass. Hahaha

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
That looks good. That is a fantastic looking steak.
Well done to your son.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
fantastic!! what a great birthday dinner your son treated you to barb. that steak and baker looked wondeful.

not quite the same but it reminds me an oriental BBQ place we went to in VA where you picked raw food (meat, veggies, fruit and such) and placed it in a bowl along with your choice of sauces and then the chef poured it all on a large hot, flat, round stone and cooked it in about 2 minutes.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I figured I'd add a link to this in case anyone wanted to see their full menu......it's pretty cool. We went to the one in Willoughby, they've only been open about a month.

www.steakonastone.us
as soon as you told us where you were going i googled but only in ohio :sad: so i couldn't wait to see your pics.

shades of rod serling - Willoughby next stop Willoughby LOL

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I had a meal a few years ago cooked the same way. It was at old town in Paris. DW & I were celebrating our anniversary and it was an outdoor restaurant - very romantic. goo goo gaa gaa

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Way Cool! I've never seen that. The calamari and scallops are calling my name.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That looks SO wonderful, Barb!

I absolutely would love to try that!

Props to your nice son, too!

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
very neat, barb!:clap:

i've had stone cooked food in korean and japanese restaurants before. it's actually a very old practice, from what i've heard.