Creme Brulee

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Last night was the third time I have made this and I think I've got it down. I looked at a lot of recipes and discovered that they are all basically the same, with small variations.

4 cups heavy cream
2 whole vanilla beans or 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
10 egg yolks
1 cup granulated sugar
More granulated sugar or brown sugar for topping

1) Split vanilla beans in half lengthwise if using whole beans.

2) Heat cream and vanilla over medium low heat to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes and then remove from heat and let sit covered for 15 minutes.

3) Whisk egg yolks together with sugar.

4) Pour vanilla/cream mixture through a strainer into the sugar/egg yolk mixture a small amount at a time, gently stirring to incorporate. You want to do this very slowly to keep the yolks from beginning to "set". Be careful not to stir too vigorously or you will get too much air and it won't result in a smooth custard.

5) Take the vanilla bean out of the strainer (if using whole vanilla beans) and gently scrape the beans from the middle of the pods and add them back to the custard mixture, stirring gently. Set aside the bean pods.

6) Ladle equal amounts of custard into individual ramekins or into one large shallow casserole dish. Place ramekins into a large pan with sides that come up to at least the top of the ramekins.

7) Place this large pan into a preheated 350 degree oven. Using a teakettle, pour very warm water into the large pan so that the water comes up at least halfway to the top of the ramekins. Cover the whole thing tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 40-50 minutes.

8) Custards are done when they no longer "tremble" when the pan is shaken lightly. Remove from oven and place ramekins into refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or until chilled.

9) Sprinkle cooled custards with a thin, even layer of granulated sugar or brown sugar. Using a torch held about 3" from the surface, caramelize the sugar topping until evenly browned. (I prefer the taste of the brown sugar, but you can't get as even a layer with it.)

Attachments

• cremebrulee1.jpg
    cremebrulee1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 957
  • cremebrulee2.jpg
    cremebrulee2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 952
  • cremebrulee3.jpg
    cremebrulee3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 919
Last edited:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Thank you, y'all! You know I'm not known for my cooking (LOL), so I'm especially excited to have something turn out well.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I always knew that there was a great cook hiding beneath that nun's habit :D. Those look great.