What happened to the "What's Cooking NCT" ???

Domestic Goddess

There hasn't been one posted since: Sun. 6/26 to Sat. 7/2 2016

I hope no one minds if I post what we're having for dinner!

For dinner we're having... Baked Potatoes with Bush's Baked Beans

(I posted the recipe in the "Vegetables "forum.)

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
There hasn't been one posted since: Sun. 6/26 to Sat. 7/2 2016

I hope no one minds if I post what we're having for dinner!

For dinner we're having... Baked Potatoes with Bush's Baked Beans

(I posted the recipe in the "Vegetables "forum.)
Thanks for jump starting the what's for dinner. Anyone can start the thread but with vacations and busy summer time it appears we missed a few. I sure appreciate you getting us back on track. :tiphat: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
We are in the midst of back-to-back heat waves here, so this is pretty much all we are eating, and take-out stuff.

Had KFC Saturday night for the first time in over a decade...... YUP ! Just as bad as I remember it. Mashed Taters were reasonable, tho'.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It must be me - I love KFC extra crispy - the potatoes are ok, but adore the slaw.

Not just you, John - I haven't had KFC in decades, but I remember loving it.

I don't think I ever even tried the potatoes or slaw.

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
It's all about location, folks !

Thirty years ago,we had four outlets within a reasonable distance..........
We had KFC almost every Friday night. It was always consistently great !

Now we have one location, about 6 miles away, so we haven't considered it for Fast Food because of the distance. The Warden was gonna be out that way, so we decided to try it on a hot Saturday.
And although it says KFC, and most of the sides are still identifiable, the actual chicken was like it was cooked two or three days ago. We got a bucket - half regular and half extra crispy. The extra crispy pieces were two wings (meatless - all breading) two of what I think were supposed to be thighs (again, very little meat, and hard !) The one breast in the bucket was a good-sized piece of meat, but so dry and over-cooked, I had to utilize some of the gravy to loosen it up a little.
As for the traditional pieces, they were all very dry, and only the skin had any of the flavor you'd expect from a Sanders Pressure fried piece of chicken.

Same problem with the local Taco Bell ! (Now closed down)
When traveling, Taco Bell is always a good stop for us. But the stuff that came out of the Bristol outlet was hardly recognizable next to the other outlets we would stop at when out of town.
Location, Location.

Okay ! Rant over !

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I made a concoction last night which actually turned out pretty good. I was thinking along the lines of beef stroganoff, but I didn't have beef so I used pork. I did it the same basic way as beef stroganoff, but when I went to the fridge for sour cream, which I had, I spied some onion dip. I thought, why not? It's just an onion flavored sour cream.

I'd do it again. Sometimes you just have to experiment.

Johnny West

Your lobster tails look wonderful.

Tonight it's BLT's with fresh tomatoes from our garden. Walla Walla Sweets are on too.

Domestic Goddess

I made a concoction last night which actually turned out pretty good. I was thinking along the lines of beef stroganoff, but I didn't have beef so I used pork. I did it the same basic way as beef stroganoff, but when I went to the fridge for sour cream, which I had, I spied some onion dip. I thought, why not? It's just an onion flavored sour cream.

Cooksie, I liked your ideas for the substitutions you made! And thanks for sharing your great tips! I'll be sure to keep this in mind.

Carolina Cooking

That is how great food is made lol.I do that too..

I overbuy fruit and veggies to much..Then have to come with a way to use it..

Johnny West

Tonight is spaghetti and meat sauce with a green salad on the side. The sauce is going and used basil, carrots, and roma tomatoes from the CSA.

:eating2:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
The garden is giving up a great harvest this year. I made a veggie frittata with zucchini, peppers, and onions. Topped with mozzarella and fresh tomato.

image_10.jpeg

image_11.jpeg

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
They have been having water line breaks in the neighborhood. So we haven't had water but for a couple hours a day while they work on the breaks. It's been four days!! I made a big pot of split pea soup on the first day. Easy to microwave. We have been using paper bowls a plastic to eat. Nothing to wash. Today we have had water most of the day but it is low pressure so who knows what tomorrow will bring. Made a big batch of pasta salad today. Should last for a few days.