Advice please!!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
here are pics of tomatoes and cukes i was given. what do i do with these fat white cukes (i have never seen these before) and the long skinny green cukes? also i was told these are heirloom tomatoes and a variety of cherry tomatoes, i know they are supposed to be different colors but are they ripe? i don't buy cukes because they don't agree with me and i usually buy regular cherry or grape tomatoes and vine ripe regular tomatoes so these are new to me. any advice?

tomatoes_080909_1_P1030635.JPG

tomatoes_080909_2_P1030636.JPG

tomatoes_080909_3_P1030634.JPG

cukes_080909_P1030639.JPG

Last edited:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
here are pics of tomatoes and cukes i was given. what do i do with these fat white cukes (i have never seen these before) and the long skinny green cukes? also i was told these are heirloom tomatoes and a variety of cherry tomatoes, i know they are supposed to be different colors but are they ripe? i don't buy cukes because they don't agree with me and i usually buy regular cherry or grape tomatoes and vine ripe regular tomatoes so these are new to me. any advice?

Toss them in the garbage, or, send them to me and I'll make a bunch of salad - you know - cukes, onions, vinegar, sugar.....

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Toss them in the garbage, or, send them to me and I'll make a bunch of salad - you know - cukes, onions, vinegar, sugar.....
what kind of cukes are the white ones? my family eat cukes so i won't be throwing them away!! can i put all those colored, small and large tomatoes in a salsa? i have made a lot of tomato salad already!! LOL

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm not familiar with the white ones either so I suggest you clean one and take a small taste. If it tastes close to a regular green type cucumber you can do the same with them as the rest. I personally love cucumbers myself and we have had a very good crop this year.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
thank you joe!! he also gave us 24 ears of bicolored sweet corn!! we had 2 ears each for breakfast and they were sweet and tender!! but 24 ears!! yikes!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I love sweet corn myself but only buy it now. When we lived in South Florida we used to go out to the pick and buy fields, getting a whole bushel for $1. I sure do miss the fields that did this.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Did more research - yours are apparently White Wonders. There is a better, smaller white cucumber supposedly really good for pickling - here.

Also, I don't think you have to peel the white cukes before eating.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
If you plan to keep for a long time, leave it in the husk and freeze it by putting it in ziplock freezer bags or just a plain brown paper bag and tape it shut. Then, thaw whatever amount you want right before you are ready to cook it. It should keep nicely up to about a year.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
If you plan to keep for a long time, leave it in the husk and freeze it by putting it in ziplock freezer bags or just a plain brown paper bag and tape it shut. Then, thaw whatever amount you want right before you are ready to cook it. It should keep nicely up to about a year.
Wow! I didn't know that, Mama. Thanks!!! I love corn on the cob and because I make it in the microwave, I always look for it in the shucks.

Peep, if you have never tried making it in the microwave, you'll love this. It's especially nice for very sweet corn. Just place the corn - in the shucks - in the microwave and set it for 4 minutes an ear at full power. (If you put 4 ears in, set it for 16 minutes, etc.) Take it out wearing an oven mitt and pull off the shucks with a dishtowel. The silks will slide right off and the corn will be perfectly cooked.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
thank you everyone!! i ummmmmmmmmmmm don't have much room in the freezer. i have several kinds flours, nuts and crisco in there. along with about 8 pkgs of meats and 2 corned beefs. LOL i will have to rearrange before that is an option. can they stay out for a day? i put the tomatoes outside on the picnic table to ripen.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I won't eat corn off the cob unless it has been frozen first. I found years ago that if frozen first the kernels are much more tender, easier to digest as well as sweeter. Probably due to the water in the corn freezing as well though just a guess.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I won't eat corn off the cob unless it has been frozen first. I found years ago that if frozen first the kernels are much more tender, easier to digest as well as sweeter. Probably due to the water in the corn freezing as well though just a guess.
this corn is so tender it practically jumps off the cob into your mouth before you bite!! tiny little kerrnels and skinny cobs. i never had corn that tasted this good! and they all have "handles".

GotGarlic

here are pics of tomatoes and cukes i was given. what do i do with these fat white cukes (i have never seen these before) and the long skinny green cukes? also i was told these are heirloom tomatoes and a variety of cherry tomatoes, i know they are supposed to be different colors but are they ripe? i don't buy cukes because they don't agree with me and i usually buy regular cherry or grape tomatoes and vine ripe regular tomatoes so these are new to me. any advice?[/IMG]

This recipe - Heirloom Tomato and Basil Tart - was made for those tomatoes :smile:

You can use heirloom tomatoes in any tomato recipe, although you might want to have a tasting first, as some are sweeter than others. I have had yellow, orange and green heirlooms that were ripe, so I'd go by feel. Are they hard or giving? If they give a little, I'd say they're ripe.

Someone posted a recipe for a creamy cucumber salad - sliced cukes, sliced onions, sour cream, salt & pepper. I like to marinate them in white vinegar with a splash of cider vinegar and a bit of sugar, salt and cayenne. HTH.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
This recipe - Heirloom Tomato and Basil Tart - was made for those tomatoes :smile:

You can use heirloom tomatoes in any tomato recipe, although you might want to have a tasting first, as some are sweeter than others. I have had yellow, orange and green heirlooms that were ripe, so I'd go by feel. Are they hard or giving? If they give a little, I'd say they're ripe.

Someone posted a recipe for a creamy cucumber salad - sliced cukes, sliced onions, sour cream, salt & pepper. I like to marinate them in white vinegar with a splash of cider vinegar and a bit of sugar, salt and cayenne. HTH.
thank you!!