My New Gig

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
My New Gig - or, my hobby gone wild....

I'm into electronics, always have been. Over the last decade the introduction of high definition TV has brought about big changes to Cable TV, Satellite, the new Blu-Ray discs, and the TV sets themselves. There is a defined set of standards for HD TV and Blu-Rays known as Rec. 709. The bottom line is that the directors of movies and TV master the content to meet the standards and it is the duty of the TV display to show the viewer exactly what the director intended. When a new flat panel TV or projector is purchased you would think that it would do that but nothing could be further from the truth. The lax parts specifications for TV circuit boards makes every single TV different and as a general rule need to be calibrated to show the correct picture.

What is calibration? Have fun....

THX was originally started by George Lucas during the Star Wars days as audio only but since has expanded to video.

I got interested in calibrating my own displays a couple of years ago and like Japanese cooking cutlery I became totally immersed in the topic. True to my ways I just completed a very intensive THX Video Calibrator seminar and have attained Level II Calibrator staus as of today. There are only about 300 of us world wide although only half are actually active calibrators. The rest were sent through the school by movie studios, etc.

This was a three day seminar, very intense, and the first two days started at 7AM and ended at 11PM. I'm too old for this...... lol

Here's a picture of my small, five person, seminar class. From left to right, Nova Scotia, Singapore, Australia, England, Buzzard, and THX head instructor Gregg Loewen.

THX Class.jpg

As of today I am officially a THX Certified Professional Level II Video Calibrator. I must be crazy...... :whistling:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congratulations, Buzz!

I don't know what it is that you are certified in, but I know you are brilliant and you like to have expertise in the things that interest you, so I know this is quite the achievement!

Way to go!!!!

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I always thought you were certifiable. :poke: :hide: :yum:

Congrats Buzz. :beer:

So, what do you plan to use this for? Calibrating your personal TV's or hiring your services out ....or impressing your buddies?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Doc took the words right out of my head, Buzz. Next time you are in Lexington I'll buy dinner and you can calibrate. :huh:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Staying busy is the way to longevity. Congrats! I could never understand people who are content to sit and do nothing when they retire.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Doc took the words right out of my head, Buzz. Next time you are in Lexington I'll buy dinner and you can calibrate. :huh:

Won't we be busy playing with our knives?

Next time through I'll do your telly, Joe. :)