Brining pot?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Yet another garage sale catch for $1. This is a 5 gal cheapo anodized (inside and out) aluminum stock pot, and I was wondering if it could be used for brining. Any thoughts?

5galstockpot.jpg

joec

Gold Site Supporter
First let me say I don't have any solid aluminum pots. Now I'm nor sure how aluminum will hold up to salty (brine) mixtures. You could give it a try and if not you are only out $1 so no big loss.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
First let me say I don't have any solid aluminum pots. Now I'm nor sure how aluminum will hold up to salty (brine) mixtures. You could give it a try and if not you are only out $1 so no big loss.
I know some recipes call for a non-reactive pot, but as you say, at worst I'm out a buck, and I can resell it when DW has her next garage sale. It's too thin to make a good stock pot, that's why I was thinking of using it to brine large batches of poultry or a turkey.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
It should be fine. But if you're worried about it, line the inside with a clean trash bag first, then brine that way.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
"Non-reactive" means: no untreated aluminum and no cast iron (I wouldn't even use hard-anodized aluminum; I've noticed that brine tends to leave a hazy white residue that's very difficult to remove).

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I like the trash bag idea. And, yes, there are some scratches on the inner finish, so the bag will be it. Thanks guys, one and all.

Time for bed. Gotta finish a big painting job in the morning so I can start a drywall job on Monday. No rest for the wicked, especially with DD's wedding coming up on 7/25. Cash flow city here.

gadzooks

If your aluminum pot has steel rivets holding the handles on, keep the brine level below them, or you will have electrolysis taking place, which will cause oxidation of the aluminum...it will attack the inner surface of the pot, and cause aluminum to leach into your otherwise wonderful meat.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
If your aluminum pot has steel rivets holding the handles on, keep the brine level below them, or you will have electrolysis taking place, which will cause oxidation of the aluminum...it will attack the inner surface of the pot, and cause aluminum to leach into your otherwise wonderful meat.
I checked with the magnet, and while the handle is steel, the rivets are non ferrous. Thanks for the tip.