Ten Can Soup

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Out of fresh veggies, or just want to clean out your pantry? Try this Ten Can soup!

Ten Can Soup

Ingredients

2 cans (28 oz each) petite diced tomatoes
2 cans potatoes
1 cans Kidney beans
1 cans Lima Bean
1 can Cut Green Beans
1 can Corn
1 can Carrots
1 can Peas
1 medium Onion (coarsely chopped)
6-8 Beef Short Ribs (trimmed of excess fat)
Pork Scraps (optional)

Procedure

Before going to bed, in a crock pot add the short ribs, both cans of tomatoes (including the liquid), and 1 cup of water. If using pork scraps, add them as well. Set to low and go to bed.

The next morning, don’t stir the pot, but instead get a ladle and spoon off as much fat as you can. I spoon it into a bowl and stick the bowl in the fridge. Once the fat congeals, I discard it and return the underlying (fat-free) liquid to the crock pot. Alternatively, use a Gravy Separator to get done with this part immediately.

After spooning off the fat, stir the mixture thoroughly and remove the bones from the ribs while also shredding the meat. Add the potatoes and onion to the crock pot. Wash and drain the kidney beans and add to the mixture. Drain the lima beans, corn, and green beans and add to the pot. Stir well and then cover and let simmer on high for 3 hours.

After 3 hours, drain and add the carrots and peas. Stir well, cover and simmer another hour. (Notice that you save the canned carrots and peas for last because they aren’t very firm and don’t hold up to long cooking times).

After the final hour or so, cut off the heat and let sit for 30 minutes, stir well, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve in a bowl with or without rice (or egg noodles).

Notes

Notice the play on words in the recipe title. It sounds like “Tin Can” but it is actually Ten (10) Can Soup.....because there are 10 cans of veggies in this.

I like to start this on Friday night before going to bed so that we can have it for lunch on Saturday. DW doesn’t like chunks of tomatoes (too squishy for her) but loves tomato sauce (go figure). By cooking the petite diced tomatoes with the short ribs overnight, the tomatoes break down into a nice sauce with very few chunks (and no need to puree the mixture).

This recipe freezes well.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Yep! What can i say, my middle name is Easy!

Uh........that's not.....uh.....nevermind. :lol: