Member Spotlight - MEXICOKAREN!!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

Tell us a little about yourself - your family or household, kids, pets, occupation, etc.
I was born in Portland, Oregon and raised in Ashland, Oregon, a beautiful small town in the southern part of the state. My dad coached basketball at the college there, and since he had no sons, he tried his best to raise my sister and me as boys. Although I turned out to be a girl, anyway, I really did benefit from this: I remember when I entered high school and had the option to take typing, my dad said, “Don't learn to type. If you can type, then no matter how much education you have, your boss will turn you into a secretary.” Artifact of the times! But he was a true feminist who believed that women could do anything they wanted to do, and that made me a strong, independent and confident woman as I grew up. I moved back to Portland in 1971, after living in England for three years, and I stayed there until 2006.

I was raised to be a political activist – I can remember seeing Harry Truman campaigning from the back of a railroad car in 1948, and chanting “phooey, phooey, phooey, don't vote for Dewey” all the way home. So it was only natural that I became a political advocate, aka “lobbyist” in my professional life. I know that “lobbyist” has become a dirty word, but what I did primarily was advocate for health care for those who were disadvantaged, either because they were poor or because they lived in remote rural areas. I loved it, and retired in 2006.

Along the way, I had two “practice” husbands. The first one gave me two wonderful children, Justine and Jeffrey, who are now 41 and 39. The second one gave me a hard time and ruined my credit, but that is another story...

I had been single for 25 years when I met Jerry in 2003. If we hadn't met, I probably would have worked until I dropped. We both loved traveling to Mexico and started talking about retiring here. By 2004, we had a two-year plan. We got married in 2005 and moved to Mexico in 2006. We bought a modest home in a Mexican neighborhood and did a lot of rehab, e.g., there was NO kitchen in the house except a sink and a slab of cement for a counter. The house had wonderful shade trees (a huge mimosa and a large lichee), but was surrounded by dirt and mud; it is now surrounded by patios. The house was about 800 square feet, which we have doubled by adding a second story, as well as a lovely terraza on the second story roof, which feels like a treehouse.

Daughter Justine decided to join us here in 2008, and son Jeff works for an international school in China. He and his wife have given me three grandchildren – two girls and a boy.

Jerry and I are both soft touches – we have had LOTS of pets since we moved here, all of them rescues. At one point, we had five dogs, 14 cats and two goats (smelly!) We have found new homes for most of the cats and dogs and goats that have cycled through our lives, but we currently have two dogs and seven cats.

What part of the world do you live in?
We live in the warmth and beauty of Mexico's Pacific Coast, in Bucerias, Nayarit – about 12 miles north of Puerto Vallarta. No, it is not dangerous here. The crime rate in Mexico overall is actually much lower than the US - According to the most recent UN survey on crime, you are three times as likely to be a victim of a crime in the US (4118 per 100,000) than in Mexico (1503 per 100,000). You are twice as likely to be assaulted in the US, and 21 times as likely to be a victim of theft in the US. Sorry to go on about this – I warned you that I am a former lobbyist. It is a sore spot for me - my sister refuses to visit us here because of the perceived danger. I feel safer here than I ever felt in Portland, Oregon.

Living in Mexico full time isn't for everyone. Our street is paved with dirt, and there are chickens, as well as occasional roaming cows, goats and horses that populate the street. The rhythm of life here is completely different from the US. You soon lose your time urgency, because the clock doesn't matter much here. Manana does not necessarily mean “tomorrow”, it means “not now.” This takes some getting used to, but it is eventually liberating. Except in the resort areas, it is a little messy. There is garbage in the streets and plastic bags floating on the breeze. The streets have lots of potholes and the sidewalks are a little treacherous. If there is a beautiful tree where someone wants to build a road, they build around the tree, which complicates driving down the road. But, it is a fully sensual experience. There is something to grab and delight my eye everywhere I look. The air is rich with cooking smells, floral smells and other smells not so pleasant, but part of the whole. Sounds of music, roosters crowing, birds singing and dogs barking are everywhere. While I cannot find some of the ingredients to cook my favorite state-side foods, it is a cook's dream here because of the abundance of fresh ingredients and the opportunity to learn how to cook new and wonderful foods.

How did you find the NCT community?
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Followed the yellow brick road from another site, like many of you.[/FONT]

Do you have any hobbies besides cooking?
I don't know if you would call it a hobby, because I do occasionally make some money from it, but I am also a painter. I wanted to be an “artist” from the time I was a little girl – just never had the opportunity as an adult to indulge that side of myself. Too busy working, being a single parent, running a household...there was never energy left for it. I also read a lot, both books on paper and audiobooks on my iPod.

If you could choose any profession or occupation, what would it be and why?

Being happily retired and having paid "my dues", I would not be interested in a career change!

How and why did you choose your Username? What does it mean?
Probably can leave this one out...

What is a typical day like for you?

No two days are ever the same for us, so it is difficult to describe one that is "typical." We start our days on the patio with coffee, and go from there. I paint, I cook, I visit with friends, I spend time on the internet, I read, I shop, I sometimes take an afternoon siesta. We have coffee again around 4 in the afternoon, usual iced lattes this time of year. We often have friends drop by to join us. Dinner is around 8-9 and we are frequently joined by friends. Neither of us is much of a TV watcher, although I do watch Iron Chef (in English!) on Saturday nights. Jerry usually spends the evening on his computer (he always watches "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" from the MSNBC webpage,) and I read, paint or putter.
What accomplishment are you most proud of?

Probably finding a whole new “career” as a painter here in Mexico. After spending my professional life using my left brain (analytical and strategic) , I made the switch to my right brain in order to express myself creatively. It is a dream that I never thought I would realize and I still pinch myself occasionally.

Give us 5 words that describe you.

determined, intuitive, smart, kind, loyal

Name 5 things that would be on your "bucket list".

There really are very few things that I regret not doing at this stage in my life. I had always longed to see a Broadway play in New York, and just last month, I had that opportunity. Traveled with my granddaughters to NYC and saw “Wicked.” Wow. Such a memorable evening!

Name 5 things you can't live without.
At my age, you learn that there are very few things you can't live without. But I'd certainly be unhappy without my husband, my pets, coffee, fresh fruit and butter.

Who is your role model and why?

As I was growing up, my dad was my role model. He was a such a generous and kind man, and had a special gift for tolerance and forgiveness. He always told me that every single person has something about them to admire, and that I should look for that quality in the most unlikeable people. But at my age, you sort of run out of role models. They are either dead, or have proven to have feet of clay. Among those who are living, I greatly admire Bill Moyers, who seems to always tell the truth and also make wise and accurate observations about it. Of course, he is now retired, so I have to make do with archives from PBS.

Tell us one thing about yourself that people would be surprised to know.

I may have already revealed this in a rash moment, but my husband and I met on an internet “adult” dating site. I was 59 and he was 57. Yep, we “seniors” do not ever forget how to have fun.

What would the child you once were think of the adult you have become?

She was a dreamy, solitary child with a great imagination and lots of imaginary friends. She'd probably be happy for me that I grew up to have a lot of real live friends. She would certainly have never imagined that I would end up living in Mexico.

What is the best moment of your life so far?
Can't even begin to answer this – I have been so fortunate to have lots of “best” moments and there is no way I can single one out. I suppose most people would point out the days their children were born, their wedding day, etc. All of those days were wonderful, of course. More recently, we put so much time, love and energy into saving the life of a tiny puppy (only 2 weeks old) that Jerry found abandoned in a mud puddle on the street, covered in maggots. We fed him with a bottle for weeks, and when our veterinario said he was going to make it, that was a great moment. He's now just over a year old and very healthy and happy.

How and at what age did you start cooking?

At age 10, I started taking over cooking one night of the week – Tuesday nights were my night (both my parents worked). My first meal was meatloaf, right out of that BHG red & white checked cookbook.

Do you have a signature dish or one that you make especially well?

I am probably best known for my baking, especially cookies and cinnamon rolls. People seem to love my potato salad, and Jerry and I together make very good tamales.

What is your favorite spice?

Cinnamon

What 2 cooking tools/gadgets/appliances would you swap from your kitchen and what would you swap them for?

I would love to swap our current espresso machine, which we bought at Starbucks five years ago for $300 for a new Gaggio or Saeco, which cost 4-5 times that. I can't justify the expense, so someone would have to just give me one. My wonderful KitchenAid mixer is 20+ years old, so I will eventually have to trade up for a new one, which probably won't be as good or reliable. Our warm, humid, coastal air is hard on electronics and appliances, so I'm hoping they last a while longer.

If you could host a dinner party with 6 well-known guests, living or dead, who would they be and what would you serve?
From the political world, Eleanor Roosevelt and John Kennedy. To make astute observations, Walter Cronkite and Keith Olbermann. And to add some levity to the event, George Carlin and Steven Colbert.

Who would you most like to have prepare a meal for you?

Maybe Bobby Flay, who has such a flair for the flavors and ingredients I most enjoy.

100 years from now, how would you like to be remembered?
I do not imagine that anyone will remember me 100 years from now. All I ask is that in some small way, I can leave the world a better place than when I entered it.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Karen, I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed reading your spotlight!! You are living such a charming life; a life that many dream about yet never have the opportunity to enjoy.

Thank you so much for sharing. It's truly wonderful!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Karen, that was such a beautiful spotlight, so lyrically written! You are indeed a creative, artistic person, in the written word as well as on a painted canvas.

I would love to see some photos of your home, family, pets, and more paintings!

I am touched and impressed by the fact that you and your husband rescue and find homes for so many animals!

And my very first cookbook was the same as yours! Although many cookbooks have come and gone from my house, I still have that one - it's great! LOL!

Excellent job!

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks so much Karen for participating in our spotlight feature. :tiphat: :applause: :applause:

What a story / life you have lived. I love it. I'm also a little envious of your place there in Mexico on the Pacific coast. Someday maybe I'll find myself there but at this point due to other ties I do not see that happening.

It was so nice to get to know more about you and your experiences. :thumb:
Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mhend

Karen, what a wonderful story! I loved reading it. To live such a peaceful existence is what alot of long for... Congratulations on finding yours! Thank you for sharing.

lilylove

LOL...well I didn't enjoy reading it at all... it made me miss Mexico way toooo much.

You describe it perfectly! Such a wonderful place and I too feel very very safe and happy there.

Sure wish Paul would hurry up and retire so we could join you in the afternoon for a cup of coffee.. or you could join us for a nice walk on the beach! :) :)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Great Karen and can relate to the artistic side. I'm also someone who also wanted to be an artist but it didn't work out do to real life getting in the way. I've managed to do a bit but nothing close to what might have been. It was really been a pleasure reading you spotlight.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Wow - thanks so much for all of your kind comments! I'm overwhelmed. Here are a few pictures that may help to make it more real. The top pictures are me at the right; me & beautiful daughter Justine & Jerry on the left; Jerry & me at the plaza in our little town; my kitchen (or at least part of it); and our sweet little dog "Maggot" (yes, that is his name - we call him "Maggie"). Thanks again, amigos.

Attachments

• 34566_144535772229670_100000197451701_437637_1088718_n.jpg
    34566_144535772229670_100000197451701_437637_1088718_n.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,050
  • Karen at River Cafe.jpg
    Karen at River Cafe.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,036
  • me and jerry.jpg
    me and jerry.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,065
  • puppies 016.jpg
    puppies 016.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,073
  • 004 (2).jpg
    004 (2).jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,075

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
And it started with NO kitchen to speak of. Thanks, Karen, the pictures absolutely make it, worth more than a thousand words any day.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Karen, your life in Mexico is a dream come true. As I read every word, I kept smiling nodding my head and saying Yeah! That is great.

Thank you very much. Would that I could see all this in person some time.

By the way, you have done a beautiful job with your home.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Yes, it is a dream come true. I am totally aware of that everyday. This is what the kitchen looked like the day we moved IN! A little rustica...

Attachments

• 2006-julykaren 005.jpg
    2006-julykaren 005.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 970

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Oh man, what paint, tile, and electrics can do. I'm impressed. Great work, Karen. With each new post I see more and more why you like it so much down there.

Buzz

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Whoooooooooaaaaaaaaa!!! Such joyous photos, Karen!

You, your family (I am including Maggie), and your home are lovely!

And you all look so incredibly HAPPY!!!

Thank you for sharing you with us!

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
What a wonderful story! You have a beautiful family and Maggie is a doll!

That's truly amazing what you've done with your kitchen.

Thank you so much for sharing!

PanchoHambre

Great story Karen. Had picked up much of it in your posts over time but you filled in some great details about your path to Mexico. Love the pics of your family... and your brindle boy has the same coat as mine.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
PanchHambre said:
.. and your brindle boy has the same coat as mine.

Thanks for the compliments, Panch - and yes, I've seen pics of your beautiful dog. Their coats are pretty much identical. Of course, Maggie is not a fancy dog. When people ask, we tell them he is "perro de calle Mexicano" (Mexican street dog). But he sure is a sweetheart.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
OK guys - I'm sorry, but I had to share one more photo. This is my wonderful son Jeff, with his beautiful family: Isaac, Jeff, Josie, Kim and Amelia.

Attachments

• 8128_101375186549269_100000303649892_34865_7126216_n.jpg
    8128_101375186549269_100000303649892_34865_7126216_n.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 200

PanchoHambre

Thanks for the compliments, Panch - and yes, I've seen pics of your beautiful dog. Their coats are pretty much identical. Of course, Maggie is not a fancy dog. When people ask, we tell them he is "perro de calle Mexicano" (Mexican street dog). But he sure is a sweetheart.

Tiggy is a mutt too... people always ask me what he is and I am stumped... pit-boxer-mastiff-lab-rotty? He is a shelter rescue so I have no idea. Thanks for calling him beautiful, I think so, but my parents have declared him ugly.. they try to backtrack but once said.....:oops: Perro De Calle sounds pretty fancy around here... maybe I will tell people he's that LOL.. .of course my Chi has been credited with being Puerto Rican cause he's too big LOL. He is a street dog as that's where I found him roaming the hood and he has lots of tude to go with it. Tig for his fearsome looks is a total baby.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
PanchHambre said:
Tiggy is a mutt too... people always ask me what he is and I am stumped... pit-boxer-mastiff-lab-rotty? He is a shelter rescue so I have no idea.

Oh gosh, I thought he was some fancy breed that I'd never seen before! Both of your dogs are handsome boys. Bless you for rescuing them.

PanchoHambre

I thought he was some fancy breed that I'd never seen before!

LOL! in his dreams.

I am a sucker for doggies but i have too look the other way when I see loose ones anymore because I just cannot handle integrating anymore into my home 2 pups and a cat are enough and that they all cohabitate happily is a feat . I have returned several dogs that have followed me home but where I live I see way too many wandering.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
PanchHambre said:
where I live I see way too many wandering

I can certainly identify with that. One of the few things that really confounds me about Mexican culture is the number of homeless animals that wander around. A nonprofit organization in our area has frequent free spay and neuter clinics, which seems to be the best way to combat the problem. We've encouraged all of our neighbors to get their animals spayed and neutered, but there are still so many street dogs and cats - it breaks my heart sometimes. You just can't take them all home with you - or that's what we keep telling each other.

PanchoHambre

I can certainly identify with that. One of the few things that really confounds me about Mexican culture is the number of homeless animals that wander around. A nonprofit organization in our area has frequent free spay and neuter clinics, which seems to be the best way to combat the problem.

not just Mexico, I live in inner city Philadelphia. Some of my neighbors just let their dogs wander some escape some are abandoned. We were recently confronted by a large loose pit fortunately I was able to get to my gate before he engaged Tig and with a kick to the head he scrammed. Tig had a small scar on his cheek from the confrontation but they never locked thank God. I don't think the dog really was on full attack as it was not his territory but he was very big and it was scary. Feral cats are everywhere. I have friends who work with the spay and release programs endlessly. My own cat just came home with my brother when she was a kitten. She is so cool and well adjusted she follows me and the dogs on walks jumping over their leashes and teasing them. It's funny. She is my only sane pet.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Oh Karen, what a wonderful life you have! I'd love to join your dinner party, and the next day share stories over coffee.

Thank you for letting us into you life. I want to be your next door neighbor!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks to all of you who have made such supportive and gracious comments about our lives here...we are aware of our incredible good fortune every single day. If ANY of you are inclined to seek a Mexico vacation - come on down! I mean it. It would be so much fun to sit down over a Margarita, or a cup of coffee, or an enchilada, or some tacos...