NCT's Iron Chef 22: Battle Shellfish

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
For Iron Chef 21, the secret ingredient is……..

Shellfish (Crab, Shrimp, Lobster, Crayfish, any Crustacean)!

As with the other ICs, this is a challenge to ourselves. There is no judging, and no winner. We are ALL winners in this since we will all benefit from the creativity and new recipes that this challenge will bring us.

The rules are simple, make any kind of dish you want, however you want. Drink, Appetizer, Main Course, Dessert, etc. The only stipulation is that you must use Shellfish in some way.

Once your dish is ready, it’s a good idea to make a new post with your recipe. Then, post a link and a picture of your recipe to this thread. Alternatively, if you like, post your recipe and pictures here. In the end, we will compile all the results into one thread for easy searching.

Now, let Battle Shellfish begin!

k2z7e0.jpg

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Now that is a yummy one I can't do - I love shellfish but, the rest won't touch it.

Deelady

My fiance nor I can touch it as well....me cause I'm prego, and DF cause he's allergic! I love clams though, so I'll sit and dream about some nice clam cakes!!!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
My fiance nor I can touch it as well....me cause I'm prego, and DF cause he's allergic! I love clams though, so I'll sit and dream about some nice clam cakes!!!
clam cakes? hmmmmmmmmmmmm got a recipe you can PM me?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
We had Lobster Tail!

I really don't have a recipe, I just painted it with melted butter and broiled it.

Attachments

• lobster asparagus (3).jpg
    lobster asparagus (3).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 515

chowhound

Very nice, SS.
How do you keep it so white under the broiler? That's how I always did mine when I had a broiler, but it always had a "broiled" look, which I liked anyway. Just tinged with brown. I miss having lobster... I've got to start grilling it or something.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Very nice, SS.
How do you keep it so white under the broiler? That's how I always did mine when I had a broiler, but it always had a "broiled" look, which I liked anyway. Just tinged with brown. I miss having lobster... I've got to start grilling it or something.

Actually, if you look closely, it does have a little tinge of brown on the edges.

I just load it up with butter and watch it very carefully, so not to overcook it.

Most people (including most restaurants) overcook lobster. According to the USDA, seafood is safe to eat at 145*. (anyone know how to make a degree symbol on here?) Just stick an instant thermometer in to test for doneness and you'll see that you don't have to cook them until they're browned.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
OMG! That is one of the most beautiful Lobster Tails I've ever seen! How did you get the meat to swell so nicely out of the shell?

That is simply incredle! Wonderful job!! :clap:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, you have to remove the meat when it's still raw. You can try removing it on solid piece when it's cooked, but it's easire to do it when it raw.

chowhound

Actually, if you look closely, it does have a little tinge of brown on the edges.

I just load it up with butter and watch it very carefully, so not to overcook it.

Most people (including most restaurants) overcook lobster. According to the USDA, seafood is safe to eat at 145*. (anyone know how to make a degree symbol on here?) Just stick an instant thermometer in to test for doneness and you'll see that you don't have to cook them until they're browned.

I didn't say mine was overcooked, just tinged with brown :lol:
Thanks, maybe I had it too close to the flame.

Oh, I just use a F... as in 145F, for our Celsius friends, but I see the * used a lot, too.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
OMG! How did you get the meat to swell so nicely out of the shell?

I wish I had thought to take pics of the process. It's easier to show than to explain.

With scissors, cut the shell on the hard side (not the side with the 'ribs') almost to the end. Then, using both hands, squeeze the tail from the sides to crack the ribs on the underside, kind of like this:

( left hand
) right hand
/\ lobster shell, with the sharp points facing down
0 lobster meat
_ ribs

(/0\) hands flat on both sides and squeeze until the ribs crack.

Now, slide your fingers inside the shell to release the meat from the sides of the shell. You may have to work it a bit, depending on the lobster. Sometimes I use a dull knife to release a difficult spot.

Lift the meat up through the cut side, being careful NOT to release it at the very tip, where it attaches itself near the tail 'fan'. Set the tail on the pan, rib side down, and sort of close the cut back together to form a platform for the meat. Lay the meat over the top (remember it's still attached at the tip), and brush with lots of melted butter.

I forgot to this time, but you should spread out the tail fan for both stability and presentation. (I always forget until after I've cook them).

Throw them in the fridge until ready to cook.

When you pull the meat out, sometimes you'll find an unattractive 'vein', like you do with shrimp, only not as dark. I remove it for appearance purposes, but it's not really necessary.

lesley

Hmmm....... I don't know what 'ponsy' means, but I think it looks beautiful!
sorry, I spelt it wrong, it's not in every dictionary, but it's a word the English use...i found this, hope it explains. (what i meant was a "bit over the top"..you know

poncy 91 up, 5 down
Someone, something or somewhere which is overpriced, over styled, over rated, or thinks more highly of itself than it deserves.
1. Darling, do you fancy going to that new little Italian place tonight? Nah, it's a bit too poncy for me. I prefer the chip shop.

2. What about the lovely diamond ring there? What? You must be joking, that's far too poncy.

3. Why don't you dress like Mike? Sorry, love, that's just too poncy for my liking.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Did you end up doing them like I posted?
It looks like you did.

yessiree, Chow, just like you said !!

I made four for each of us; I managed three and my share of the beef............the Warden had two of hers and the rest of her beef for lunch (at work) today...........I'm interested to know how the scallops handled re-heating............