Why are hoisin sauces so different?

High Cheese

Saucier
I can only guess they are like BBQ sauces and everyone has their own opinion on what it should taste like. I have two different main stream brands and they are apples and oranges. One is red and has a sweet flavor to it, the other is brown and tastes exactly lile BQ sauce and A1 mixed together.

What gives?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes Hoisin sauce, Soy sauce, chili paste etc are all different. It is pretty much like other products around the world really. Soy sauce is very different with some costing quite a bit compared to the common Kikkoman that we all know. I use several different bean pastes, soys, chili paste/sauces, rice wine, rice vinegars and hoisin just to name a few ingredients I keep on hand. They also very from Japan to China in taste and texture.

buckytom

Grill Master
high cheekinz, you need to come up to the civilized world soon.

most asian and even spanish markets near me sell lots of different soy and other standard sauces, from hoisin, to teri or suki-yaki, to lemongrass, and more.

i'm confused as hell as to what soy sauce to use. i've been going with a sushi/sashimi style one.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
They are purposefully doing it to confuse you...

...you are not paranoid, they are watching.

High Cheese

Saucier
high cheekinz, you need to come up to the civilized world soon.

most asian and even spanish markets near me sell lots of different soy and other standard sauces, from hoisin, to teri or suki-yaki, to lemongrass, and more.

i'm confused as hell as to what soy sauce to use. i've been going with a sushi/sashimi style one.

What gets me is the major difference between various hoisin sauces. I could have 40 BBQ sauces and they all taste like BBQ sauce...pretty much. But the hoisin is like apples and oranges.

I don't get to the Asian market as I should. I probobly need to add another fridge just for the condiments since mine is just about full.