Rants and Raves thread

cookingirl

Mama, thank you so much! took a nice long hot shower, had a few glasses of wine--oh no! you guys must think I am a lush!! but I do not have any other vices---only my hair, wine--on week end nites---and i am a cheap drunk....my dad is a sweetie...thanks Mama for understanding....

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Rant--whine!
please set me strait!!

Since you asked……

There is not ONE piece in your kitchen or your house that can’t be replaced with a comparable item by shopping online or going to a local store.

Home Depot for new floors and appliances, Amazon for Kitchen Gadgets like toaster ovens. Wal-Mart for paint wall paper, tile, etc, etc, etc.

Yeah…..it can be expensive.

But answer me this, what store, anywhere, online or brick-&-mortar, offers your loved one back? If they die and are gone, where can you go to buy that back and fix it?

A floor can be fixed. A new toaster oven can be bought. A cabinet can be repaired.

But the dead can not be brought back to life.

He may be getting old and causing some complications….but HE LIVES. Be thankful for that. Wal-Mart sells new tile, toaster ovens, mixers, etc. But no store in the world can bring a loved one back.

As your Dad, I’m sure he was involved in changing your poopy diapers and cleaning up your vomit as you grew into the adult you are today.

Point is, yeah, it’s a b1tch. We enter this world as babes and exit it the same. Father Time’s cruel trick for us all.

It can get expensive taking care of someone, as I’m sure your Dad knows because he took care of you as you grew up. It is expensive. But it is only money and stores can replace all that crap…….but a life is special and can not be bought or replaced or fixed with a warranty. There is no warranty on life. Life is shorter than we think.

Personal note: When Lisa was alive, we had lots of ups and downs and lived pay check to pay check, barely scraping by at times. Now, it’s just me and the animals. Other than required bills, there isn’t much money going out, and my bank account is swelling quickly. It’s amazing really as I never thought about it before……how much it costs to support two people. Now, I’m on my own supporting only me and the animals.

I’ve got money to burn……and none of it can buy her back. No store, no online site, no retailer offers a bring back card for any price. What good is this money; it can’t buy what I really want.

At this point, I’d suffer any catastrophe, any financial blow just to be able to hear her voice one more time and hold her again and tell her I love her. I’d suffer anything to have that now. And yet, there is nothing that can give that to me.

Just a thought.

Carolina Cooking

CYN
sorry for you really. I can so relate. I had to take care of my Mother. It was about 7yrs of mishaps. Every day & night.

I still had a salon that I owned & just couldn't walk away. Then it became so bad that I had too. I had to be there full time.

Freezer door left open. ice cream in the fridge all melted. Fire in the fireplace that darn near burned the house down 3 times.
I came in just in time one time & she had decided to fry bacon & put dish towels on the stove so the grease wouldn't make a mess. almost a fire there. Oh & the time she decided to put the oven on self clean.OMG..

Yes & left the water running in the kitchen sink as well as the bathroom. She put stuff in the toilet that didn't belong there.

It became a 24/7 job, much harder then any job I ever had. I know there is a place in heaven for me. ;)

You are lucky you can get out of the house for awhile. I couldn't turn my back for one minute.

She took care of me when I was child so it was my turn to take of her while she was a child. I don't regret it but Boy oh boy what a job..

so I know what you are going through.:flowers:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cookingirl, I have the deepest awe and admiration for people who live with mentally failing family members.

My heart goes out to you and your dad.

Keltin, thanks for sharing your perspective - good to remember!

Lee

Carolina Cooking

CYN
BTW I was a member of a Caregivers forum. It sure was a lifeline for me.

I have been trying for ages to find a diabetes one but no such luck so far.. I did join one & my first post I was spoke to very rudely so I logged out. Never to return. So much for that..

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
We open for brunch at 9am on Saturdays....Today was the Red Dress Run, so we expected it to be busy with lots of guests wearing red dresses (even the guys).

Our first ticket was at 9:10, a young couple with a baby...about a year old.
The couple ordered french toast and praline pancakes; nothing for the kid. I sent over a high chair, but they were happier to let the kid run around, pulling on the decorative beads and playing with my lamps. When their food was ready, the dad picked up the kid, who proceeded to puke all over the balcony. As the dad carried the kid to the restroom, he puked again, right in front of the area the completed plates are set for the guests. The kid puked again in the bathroom.

Sure, you cannot control where your kid pukes and there really is no one to be angry at. I just cannot say how gross it is to have to clean up someone else's puke....

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh gross!!! :w00t2:

That’s awful. I’m a sympathetic puker and would have lost it if I tried to clean that up! Ugh! Sorry you had to go through that.

To paraphrase James Woods, "I'd rather you tied my tongue to your tailpipe and drove me naked across a field of broken glass."

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Uck, what a way to start the day, Vera!

It's a full moon tonight. We always know, just by the way customers act in the store.

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Uck, what a way to start the day, Vera!

It's a full moon tonight. We always know, just by the way customers act in the store.

Lee

You know, back in college, I did a paper on the effects of the full moon and criminal activity for a psychology class I took.

I went down and interviewed the cops at the local precinct and talked to detectives and reviewed cases.

It was odd. At first, there seemed to be no correlation to the full moon as there were spikes all throughout the month.

Then, I finally noticed (with the help of my professor) that there is actually TWO full moons per month.

The first is the one we all know, big, bright, and full. Shines bright for all to see.

The second is the perfect “New moon” or when it is totally dark and not a sliver of it shows.

Both are “full moons”. One is Full and Bright, the other is Full and Dark. Two full moons per month, and they coincided with the spikes in criminal activity from the reports they allowed me to review. Interesting!

Carolina Cooking

well I have RANT..

Printer INK .:bonk:

Its a rip off. Well to me it is.

I bought new ink a few months ago. I have not printed 1 thing. I have nothing worth while to print.

SO, I need to print out my bank statement .. NO INK. :cry::pat:

Now I have to buy more stinking INK $$$$. To print out one lousy page.

I tell ya I am going to print out every darn thing I can find to use up every drop Of that new ink. Called gold!

Ya I am pissed. Heck I could buy a nice pair of shoes for that same money .. INK! Makes me mad..

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Is it possible you didn't install the first ink cartridge correctly? Check that before you buy another!

Leni

If you don't use the printer for a long time the ink will dry out and clog up. To be safe just print something, anything once every couple of days.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
We open for brunch at 9am on Saturdays....Today was the Red Dress Run, so we expected it to be busy with lots of guests wearing red dresses (even the guys).

Our first ticket was at 9:10, a young couple with a baby...about a year old.
The couple ordered french toast and praline pancakes; nothing for the kid. I sent over a high chair, but they were happier to let the kid run around, pulling on the decorative beads and playing with my lamps. When their food was ready, the dad picked up the kid, who proceeded to puke all over the balcony. As the dad carried the kid to the restroom, he puked again, right in front of the area the completed plates are set for the guests. The kid puked again in the bathroom.

Sure, you cannot control where your kid pukes and there really is no one to be angry at. I just cannot say how gross it is to have to clean up someone else's puke....

Sounds like you need to hire someone to help out when things like this happen.
Cleaning up that kind of stuff has never bothered me, however, I feel bad that you had to experience that.
Those types of parents need slapped upside the head with a loaf of bread, and sent on their way...:whistling:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Can't hire anyone this time of year, Sass...it's just too slow. That, and the entire hiring pool is tragic to begin with. Not to be real gross, but they must have just given the kid a big glass of water, because that's pretty much all the puke was. Still..not my kid, and I wanted to say not my problem..

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Cookinggirl, I am in no way demeaning what happened. Anyone would be upset. I will just say what I tell a woman that sits next to me at work that has a dad with Alzheimer and gets angry at him often. Before you say or do anything, close your eyes and take a deep breath and ask yourself, is what comes out of my mouth next, going to help the situation? I lost my dad when I was 7, my mom when I was 23. I will never get the chance to take care of them the way they took care of me when I needed them and show them how much I appreciate the sacrifices that they made for me. Please, just take a minute before you lash out. God Bless sweetie and I wish you well.

cookingirl

hi everyone---I appreciate your comments..My dad really does know I love him..He does not have delirium nor Alzheimer's--my mom did...
It was just a very hard week at work and I am sooo stressed our over his 2 hospitalizations over 5 weeks....I took time off to be with him at least 10 hours each day while he was there...I am 'on record' as being his advocate, in addition to health care proxy..I also work in a hospital--and deal with extremely stressed out patients in high risk situations; it has been a horrible couple of weeks...I love my dad--I am usually very patient and understanding...anyone who knows either one of us, always comments on the relationship we have-they always wish they had the same...it is really unique..my dad is my dad, but he is also a friend...we always tell each other we love them..and we say what we think and feel--blunt sometimes, but.......... as my therapist said to me once---just because someone is sick doesn't mean we can;t get mad at them... it is the situation more than anything else...I do cherish the time I have with him...we took care of my mom and then I took over taking care of my dad....
maybe I shouldn't have post here about this situation...I apologize for that...many people here do not know me...It does make me feel bad when I lose my temper..esp at my dad...which doesn't happen very often..
FYI--it was an accident, I know that..but being alone here, and then having to clean it up was mind boggling ....I rent-- my dad lives with me..I worry about him while I work--I am gone 10-11 hrs per day..he does have a home health aide, and a nurse coming in...
Keltin--about appliances....I don't really care about replacing the counter ones--it was trying to keep damage at a minimum without flooding the apartment beneath me, or damaging major appliances which I would have a hard time getting management to replace....on a friday night when no one was around....I had lots of food for my dad and didn;t know where to begin to clean a flood...if it was his old place, which had a cellar--no problem..this is an apt complex....
CC--I do belong to a caregivers support group in addition to my therapist..thx
so I have really learned my lesson--in more ways than one...
cyn

Leni

I could use that caregivers site cooking girl. My daughter drove mom and dad crazy today. I got so angry a couple of times because of the things she was doing. She wore me out. Just got up from an hour and a half nap. She can't help it but every now and then.... Know what you're talking about. Don't feel bad.

My doctor has suggested that I might want to see a therapist. Maybe I should.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
hi everyone---I appreciate your comments..My dad really does know I love him..He does not have delirium nor Alzheimer's--my mom did...
It was just a very hard week at work and I am sooo stressed our over his 2 hospitalizations over 5 weeks....I took time off to be with him at least 10 hours each day while he was there...I am 'on record' as being his advocate, in addition to health care proxy..I also work in a hospital--and deal with extremely stressed out patients in high risk situations; it has been a horrible couple of weeks...I love my dad--I am usually very patient and understanding...anyone who knows either one of us, always comments on the relationship we have-they always wish they had the same...it is really unique..my dad is my dad, but he is also a friend...we always tell each other we love them..and we say what we think and feel--blunt sometimes, but.......... as my therapist said to me once---just because someone is sick doesn't mean we can;t get mad at them... it is the situation more than anything else...I do cherish the time I have with him...we took care of my mom and then I took over taking care of my dad....
maybe I shouldn't have post here about this situation...I apologize for that...many people here do not know me...It does make me feel bad when I lose my temper..esp at my dad...which doesn't happen very often..
FYI--it was an accident, I know that..but being alone here, and then having to clean it up was mind boggling ....I rent-- my dad lives with me..I worry about him while I work--I am gone 10-11 hrs per day..he does have a home health aide, and a nurse coming in...
Keltin--about appliances....I don't really care about replacing the counter ones--it was trying to keep damage at a minimum without flooding the apartment beneath me, or damaging major appliances which I would have a hard time getting management to replace....on a friday night when no one was around....I had lots of food for my dad and didn;t know where to begin to clean a flood...if it was his old place, which had a cellar--no problem..this is an apt complex....
CC--I do belong to a caregivers support group in addition to my therapist..thx
so I have really learned my lesson--in more ways than one...
cyn

You’re in an apartment complex? Oh crap, that HAD to be scary as heck. I know what you mean about the flood carrying over into another apartment, that could have been disastrous and grief that you certainly don't need! I’m so sorry you had to go through that, and I hope all is better now. Ever heard of Valerian Root. They sell it at Wal-Mart, and it really does help with stress! I wish you and your Dad all the best in the world! Hang in there!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Elderly.. forgotten people whom I come across in my daily life break my heart to pieces.
End of rant. :/
I'd post the details here, but I already did on another forum.

Carolina Cooking

Elderly.. forgotten people whom I come across in my daily life break my heart to pieces.
End of rant. :/
I'd post the details here, but I already did on another forum.

well some of us only come to this forum . :thumb: But I don't need to read it. I know first hand about all that.
I finaly had to place my Mother in a nursing Home.For year & half I went there at 7am to feed her & dress her . Sometimes staying most of the day till after dinner. 7day s a week. It was the hardest thing to see those loney old folks with no one. I became their family. I took the dog there too she was a happy sight to most of them. I would read to them, polish their nails, fix their hair. Take them little gifts & flowers. I tell ya it was a tough time. It was 7years ago & its still fresh in my mind like it was yesterday.

I go to the nursing home here . I take my 'girls' too. :smile:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
well some of us only come to this forum . :thumb: But I don't need to read it. I know first hand about all that.
I finaly had to place my Mother in a nursing Home.For year & half I went there at 7am to feed her & dress her . Sometimes staying most of the day till after dinner. 7day s a week. It was the hardest thing to see those loney old folks with no one. I became their family. I took the dog there too she was a happy sight to most of them. I would read to them, polish their nails, fix their hair. Take them little gifts & flowers. I tell ya it was a tough time. It was 7years ago & its still fresh in my mind like it was yesterday.

I go to the nursing home here . I take my 'girls' too. :smile:
CC- this had nothing to do with a patient, or one of my residents.
Just a man I've observed in my town-

Posting here as I did on forumsforums--
---
This Old Man At The Store And Church

I've noticed this man around town.
He's old.
Probably in his early 80's.. not sure really.
Anyhow, I've noticed that he-
1. Drives a little '91 Geo Metro.. red with a convertible top.
2. He walks using two canes in one hand.
3. He looks and smells unwashed.
4.I talked to him briefly at the grocery store yesterday.
He told me he used to be an engineer at Wright Patterson.. very intelligent.. he was telling me a story about how we one day will all be able to live to be 5,000 years old.
I just stood there and listened to him, shaking my head and saying that's interesting.. stuff like that.
Told him I was a nurse.
He asked where I worked.
I told him and then he said he should have his knees done.
I encouraged him to do so.. but at his age it might be risky.. however.. he seems pretty healthy for his age.

One thing that I noticed is that when he was taking his bags out to the car ( two in one hand.. canes in the other) as I was also leaving the store.. he was cussing a blue streak as he was getting inside his car.
He was screaming and saying things like 'sonofabitch! you're trying to kill me' 'God ___! it'
I think his knees were killing him.

Anyhow.. I saw him .. the same guy at church this morning.
Same behaviour.
I sit in the back pews and he came in and did the same thing!
Cussing like that in church.
Nobody seemed to take much notice.
Talk about a coincidence.

Never have I seen him in church before, but a lady I talked to after said he is a member there and does that all the time.
It was just one of those weird things.
Maybe I should go to church more.
Maybe I should try to reach out more to this old fella and find out where he lives?
----
We see people in our everyday lives often who spark something within our hearts and minds and we cannot forget about them.
This lovely, lost old man was one of those people.
If ever I happen to see him again, I will reach out to him in some way.. because I can't get him out of my head.

Carolina Cooking

my mother never cussed in her life .Till she went to the nursing home. Said the 'N' word all the time too. Cussed like a sailor.

Doc said some folks do that with Dementia. i was pretty mortified to say the least. :ohmy:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Maybe he's got Turrets?
sometimes it causes folks to curse. Sometimes a stroke will do that, too.
Could be Phid, but after talking to him as I did for quite a time, he never exhibited any behaviours that would suggest Tourette's.
No tics or anything of the sort.
Just the swearing once he struggled to get in the car,then again at church.

Yes CC, a lot of folks with dementia do that.
My Grandmother said the oddest things that were something that would have never come out of her mouth.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Stupid &*^%&^%* dung licking carrion crawling offal eating TV in the living room just crapped out. Dead. Won’t power on. And it’s a Samsung of all things. Only 3 or so years old. I’ve got a 27” Sony CRT in the gameroom that is 14 years old and still works great! WTF?

I haven’t been using it much lately, guess it got mad at me (anthropomorphism anyone).

Crap!

Well, now I’m in the market for a new 32” HDTV. Thinking LED, but the 32” LCD (which is what I HAD) is so cheap these days as to be disposable (comparatively speaking). Then again, the cheap ones have a low contrast ratio meaning less than picture.

Man, this blows goats.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Pet peeves

- Wearing a hoodie up, inside a building and/or when it's warm outside.

- Baseball caps worn with bills askew (men and women equally peeve me)

- Baseball caps that are SO not head fitted, and the bill wide and flat across

- Underwear showing because pants are enormous and hanging off hips

Yes, I know it's the style for many young people who want to be hip. Horrible, nonetheless and pisses me off.

Thank you.

Lee

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I go along with that Qsis, my son drives me mad with his hood up over his head when sitting at home.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Pet peeves

- Wearing a hoodie up, inside a building and/or when it's warm outside.

- Baseball caps worn with bills askew (men and women equally peeve me)

- Baseball caps that are SO not head fitted, and the bill wide and flat across

- Underwear showing because pants are enormous and hanging off hips

Yes, I know it's the style for many young people who want to be hip. Horrible, nonetheless and pisses me off.

Thank you.

Lee

Yo sistah.. same here..