Sunday, 4/10/2011, Whats cooking?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Well it will probably be chicken in some fashion, sides undecided yet.

I baked 2 Cranberry Tangerine Nut bread loaves late night/early morning.

041011_cranberry_tangerine_bread_loaves.jpg

041011_cranberry_tangerine_bread_slice.jpg

Any plans?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
The only thing I know for sure is that I am making Mama's potatoes. Probably chicken cutlets of some kind to go with them. And a salad/veggie something.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Ok I cut up a whole chicken (boned the breasts but left the skin) into 8 pieces and have them soaking in salt water. I have the back, neck, inards, wing tips, excess skin, bones and fat in a pot with onion, carrot, leek tops and parsley stems simmering with salt, water and a bit of stock from the last chicken. Now ALL I need to do is figure out how I want to cook the chicken and use the stock!! LOL

I put the little chicken hawk (puddy tat) out before I started so I didn't have to fight him for the chicken parts!! TeeHee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Whole chicken cut into parts (tossed with EVOO, poultry seasoning, rubbed sage, Garlic powder, Onion powder, Goya Adobo Seasoning, Accent, ground Sea Salt, Ground peppercorns, Cayenne, Hungarian Hot Paprika , ground red pepper flakes, ground thyme and ground rosemary) pan seared then roasted with sliced mushroom caps and onion.

041011_roasted_chicken_mushrooms_onions.jpg

Sides are rice pilaf (sliced mushroom caps & onion sautéed in garlic butter till soft then add rice medley (Trader Joe’s rice blends - long grain brown rice, basmati rice, wild rice, black barley, Daikon radish seeds, garden herbs & vegetables), ground Sea Salt, Ground peppercorns, saffron and homemade chicken stock), string bean salad (steamed fresh string beans, EVOO, lemon juice, ground Sea Salt, Ground peppercorns, ground red pepper flakes and dry minced garlic) and pan gravy.

041011_roasted_chicken_rice.jpg

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
You have outdone yourself, Peeps! What a beautiful Sunday dinner! I would love a bite right now. (I've got Mama's au gratin potatoes in the oven and they aren't quite done yet.)

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
You have outdone yourself, Peeps! What a beautiful Sunday dinner! I would love a bite right now. (I've got Mama's au gratin potatoes in the oven and they aren't quite done yet.)

Thank you Karen. I loved the roasted mushrooms and onion because they got nice and crispy like chips.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I made a quick dinner tonight. B/S breasts, spinach with roasted garlic and mushrooms and a blend of vegetables (zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, cauliflower and broccoli).

Attachments

• dinner04102011.jpg
    dinner04102011.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 230

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I made a quick dinner tonight. B/S breasts, spinach with roasted garlic and mushrooms and a blend of vegetables (zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, cauliflower and broccoli).
OH MAMA!! YUMMY

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I made almond-crusted chicken cutlets, served on a bed of spinach sauteed in garlic butter, accompanied by (drum roll, please) Mama's au gratin potatoes. No crema de pollo to be found, but I did use crema de queso (which had chicken in it, according to the label, as well as red peppers). It worked out great, and Jerry LOVED them! I cooked them in the oven and they took a good hour...I think I'll pre-cook the potatoes a bit next time. And there will be a next time - we think they are great, Mama - thanks.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 227

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I made almond-crusted chicken cutlets, served on a bed of spinach sauteed in garlic butter, accompanied by (drum roll, please) Mama's au gratin potatoes. No crema de pollo to be found, but I did use crema de queso (which had chicken in it, according to the label, as well as red peppers). It worked out great, and Jerry LOVED them! I cooked them in the oven and they took a good hour...I think I'll pre-cook the potatoes a bit next time. And there will be a next time - we think they are great, Mama - thanks.
WOW Karen!! That looks great! How did you do the chicken?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm glad you liked them Karen. I've never made them in the oven so I really didn't know how long it would take. Even on the grill, I think the cooking times will vary because everyone's grill is different. I just mash the foil packet to check if they are done...kinda like you do when you check a baked potato.

Your dinner looks wonderful Karen!

Thanks Peeps!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Peeps and Mama! Peeps, I ground up some slivered almonds in the little FP and mixed them with bread crumbs (about a 1/2 cup of each), along with some salt and pepper and rosemary. Dipped the cutlets in flour, egg and then the coating and fried them very quickly in butter and oil. I think I should have ground the almonds a little finer, but they were very good, especially with the spinach.

Mama, our potatoes here are more like new potatoes, and always take longer to cook. With russets or Yukon Golds, it probably would not have taken as long. But they were perfectly seasoned and really scrumptious.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh Mama, I missed seeing your dinner. Your chicken looks perfectly cooked - moist and delicious. It was spinach night for both of us. Mushrooms would have been a nice addition...

vyapti

I made a cashew cream sauce with thyme & sun dried tomatoes and served it with cantaloupe, baguette and grilled asparagus.

5608701832_0090eaa156.jpg

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
That looks delicious, V. I'm so glad that you are here to show us that creative and inspired vegetarian cooking is obviously delicious. That looks yummy.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That looks really good V. How do you make the cashew cream sauce with thyme & sun dried tomatoes?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I made a cashew cream sauce with thyme & sun dried tomatoes and served it with cantaloupe, baguette and grilled asparagus.

:clap: Nice Vy!

Everyone made delicious din dins.

Got invited next door for a BBQ.
Burgers, brats, potato salad and lemon buttermilk cake for dessert.
Brenda chilled it in the fridge after she baked it.
It got up to 80 degrees here today.
Very nice of them to invite me.
I am waiting for some severe weather to blow in tonight.:neutral:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

That looks fantastic V!! I also love the layout of your blog!!

Sass it sounds like you had a wonderful visit and dinner.
How did you make out with the weather?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Vyapti, your careful combination of ingredients yields some amazing results. That sauce looks creamy, and adheres to the pasta as if it were creamy...I really enjoyed exploring your website. You are so lucky to have such a wide range of ingredients available to you; that certainly is not the case here in Mexico. We have some Mexican vegetarian neighbors, however, who make and sell flour tortillas and chorizo made with TVP. Maria Elena's incredibly thin and flaky tortillas are the absolute best I've ever eaten (without lard, obviously) and we buy the chorizo whenever she makes it, to add to soups and stews. We are also starting to see soy and rice milk in the stores here. Poco a poco.