My Lasagna

LADawg

I made some Lasagna for lunch and it was very good....:wow:
I wonder how it would be if you used about half lean ground beef and half Italian sausage? I think I will give that a try.

WENDELL’S LASAGNA

1 Pound Ground Beef, extra lean
2 Cloves Garlic, finely minced
1 Can Tomato Sauce, 8 ounce size
1 Can Tomato Paste, 6 ounce size
Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
2 Tablespoons Italian Herbs
8 Ounces Lasagna Noodles
8 Ounces Swiss Cheese, sliced, or more as needed
1 Pint Cottage Cheese, small curd
1/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese, finely grated or more if needed

Add Ground Beef to a large skillet that can be covered. Start to brown over medium high heat. Add the Garlic and break up Beef while stirring until it turns gray. Add the Tomato Sauce, the Tomato Paste and the Water. Be sure to get all of the Tomato Paste out of the can. Stir several times to mix well.
After the mixture is well mixed stir in the Salt, Black Pepper, and Italian Seasonings. Stir again to mix.
Reduce heat under sauce to medium low and bring to a simmer. Cover and let sauce simmer for an hour while stirring every 15 minutes.
About 20 minutes before the sauce is finished cooking heat a large pot of water over high heat until it comes to a rapid boil. Add the Lasagna Noodles, stirring so as not to stick together and cook according to package directions. One the Noodles are cooked, drain and cover with water to prevent them from sticking together.
Assumable the Lasagna in a 9” X 13” casserole dish as follows: A layer of cooked Noodles, a layer of Swiss Cheese slices, a layer of Cottage Cheese, and a layer of Meat Sauce.
Repeat the process and finish it off with a generous layer of the Meat Sauce and the finely grated Parmesan Cheese.
You may now cook the dish in a preheated 350° oven for 45 minutes or you can cove with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.

NOTES:1. Ricotta Cheese may be used in place of the Cottage Cheese.
2. If the Lasagna casserole has been refrigerated overnight allow it to set at room
temperature for an hour before baking.
3. I find it better to cook the Noodles for 3 to 5 minutes longer that the package
directions call for.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LA, you've made a couple of neat substitutions there: the cottage cheese for ricotta and the Swiss for the mozzarella.

I bet it DID taste great!

Half sausage - even better!

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I brown ground beef and sweet Italian sausage (bulk or removed from casing) to use in my lasagna layers.

Leni

I agree. Use 1/2 Italian sausage for more flavor. I think that I might even use some mushrooms to enhance the flavor. They are full of natural MS. I use fresh herbs since I have an herb garden right outside my kitchen.

Johnny West

It must be me but I find canned mushrooms don't add any flavour I can detect but using fresh can make a difference. The herbs I add overpower everything, it seems.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I use half Italian sausage and half ground beef along with provolone, ricotta, mozzarella, and Romano or Parm for topping.

Secret ingredient is olives. The bits and pieces low cost variety. Olives give Lasagna a zip like nothing else. Never had a complaint.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use half Italian sausage and half ground beef along with provolone, ricotta, mozzarella, and Romano or Parm for topping.

Secret ingredient is olives. The bits and pieces low cost variety. Olives give Lasagna a zip like nothing else. Never had a complaint.

I'm coming over to YOUR house for lasagna, BigJim! :bounce:

Lee