Anyone make English Muffins???

homecook

If you've never made bread before, try the No-Knead bread for your first loaf. It's so easy and so delicious that you will want to do it again and again and again and again....:dizzy:

I'm no baker, but I'm gonna try this. You make it sound so easy......we'll see and wish me luck! :lol:

Joe is not kidding!! I've never baked bread before in my life and now I make it at least once a week. He convinced me how easy it was......he was right! The No-Knead bread is the easiest and it's delish! Try it, you'll like it!!!!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
We call them crumpets). Just wait for comments from Biskit, Texas gal et al.

I made some years ago and the recipe made a batter. You did not need to flip them over. Put them on the griddle lowish and wait for the batter to set and the bubbles to come through leaving all those little holes.

Yes, but true English muffins (crumpets) are slightly tastier and have a bit of glisten on the surface, not to mention they are smaller than the large dried up things we have here in stores, Ray.
Some of the ones here also have a dusting of corn flour on the bottom.
They are nothing remotely like a crumpet.

Joe, yours sure do look divine!! :D

Crumpet- English Muffin:

Attachments

• Buttered_crumpet2.jpg
    Buttered_crumpet2.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 106
  • ist2_5662494-toasted-english-muffin.jpg
    ist2_5662494-toasted-english-muffin.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Yes, but true English muffins (crumpets) are slightly tastier and have a bit of glisten on the surface, not to mention they are smaller than the large dried up things we have here in stores, Ray.
Some of the ones here also have a dusting of corn flour on the bottom.
They are nothing remotely like a crumpet.

Joe, yours sure do look divine!! :D

ahem i believe i make the same exact comments..lol

we get "real" english muffins(crumpets) here:lol: and you are right they are nothing like the ones USA gets

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Ooooooo so sorry Sir.
:blush::yum:

no your not..:yum:

i think tomorrow i need to go buy a bag of crumpets. i have a bag of english muffins already and show the difference.. all this talk of crumpets i am craving them..hey wait the grocery store down the street is open 24hrs..:yum:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
no your not..:yum:

i think tomorrow i need to go buy a bag of crumpets. i have a bag of english muffins already and show the difference.. all this talk of crumpets i am craving them..hey wait the grocery store down the street is open 24hrs..:yum:
Btw, a muffin is a cupcake.
A biscuit is a cookie.
A cracker is a savoury biscuit.
:yum:

Pick some of those up while you're out. lol

GoNativegal

My mother's English and years ago in the 80's she was so excited to find actual crumpets and lemon curd at store that sold almost all pottery and dishware - it was an odd store - think Bed Bath and Beyond type of place with an international canned food section. We also used to get Scottish Shortbread - although we made this sometimes ourselves at home. But for me, growing up in America, this was the first time I was able to actually try them. I'm still waiting to try Devonshire cream.

SM & Bam are right - they look similar to an American style English Muffin but are more the chewy consistency of a bialy or a bagel.

The other baked English dessert I love is Scones - another treat we made at home alot. The Americans like to tinker with them a bit too much by adding chocolate and nuts, cranberries and other things - at least they do at Starbucks - lol. We used to just eat them plain or with raisins or currants in them.

Re: the English Muffin you'd think it would be more popular to make, bread baking is now so popular and all. It's nice to see someone taking a stab at it. It looks good!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
or how about some bread and butter pudding,some summer pudding or maybe some spotted dick?..maybe some scones? or maybe some steak and kidney pie? or my dear grandmas favorite mincemeat pie?:clap:

GoNativegal

Here's more Englishese:

Oatmeal = Porridge

(said this for years until college when DH corrected me - the Iowans at school didn't know what the heck I was talking about - he said it was too Oliver Twisty).

Kitchen Cabinet = Cupboard
Drapes = Curtains
Dresser = Bureau
Sofa = Chesterfield (although I think this is more a Canadian term)
Yard = Garden
Pantry = Larder (if you are lucky enough to have one in the first place)
Vacation = Holiday (I still say this sometimes)
Merry Christmas = Happy Christmas

Mind you, I was raised here but some of these are hard habits to break. It makes you wonder sometimes how the British lost the Empire - lol.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Here's more Englishese:

Oatmeal = Porridge

(said this for years until college when DH corrected me - the Iowans at school didn't know what the heck I was talking about - he said it was too Oliver Twisty).

Drapes = Curtains
Dresser = Bureau
Yard = Garden

Mind you, I was raised here but some of these are hard habits to break. It makes you wonder sometimes how the British lost the Empire - lol.

yup chestefield is canadian

GoNativegal

I suppose it's popular now to eat Kidney Pie & Mincemeat - we used to eat these all the time years ago.

And don't forgot Cornish Pasties we ate lots of these - although I think this is more of a regional dish. My mother was from SW England pushing toward Cornwall. I make these sometimes for DH - depending on his mood sometimes he likes them and other times he doesn't.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I suppose it's popular now to eat Kidney Pie & Mincemeat - we used to eat these all the time years ago.

And don't forgot Cornish Pasties we ate lots of these - although I think this is more of a regional dish. My mother was from SW England pushing toward Cornwall. I make these sometimes for DH - depending on his mood sometimes he likes them and other times he doesn't.

I loved my visits to Cornwall and Clovelly, GNG!
First time I ever had pasties was at a little shop off that horrid walk DOWN Clovelly to the sea side.:yum:
Cobbled steps which seemed to go miles.
Going back UP was the pain in the ass. :D

buckytom

Grill Master
Here's more Englishese:

Oatmeal = Porridge

Drapes = Curtains
Dresser = Bureau
Yard = Garden

you forgot pudding, or puddin's. they can be anything from a small, savoury loaf of bread to a custard like dessert, to a sausage.

and:
a car's trunk is called a boot in england. a car boot in america is an immobilizing device clamped onto a tire rim.

i saw mini mention a solicitor. in england, a solicitor is a lawyer. a solicitor is a sort of door to door salesman.

in england, they have a queen. in america, a queen is an effeminate guy who dresses like a woman... you know, sort of like ronjohn on a good weekend... (good thing he's on vacation, lol)