Site Supporter
Basic Homemade Rye Bread
Makes one loaf
By: Joe Valencic

1-1/4 t Instant Yeast
1 T sugar (I use brown sugar)
3 T melted butter
1 Egg
1 C warm milk (about 110 degrees F) (8 oz.)
1 1/2 t salt
1 C rye flour (4.6 oz.)
2 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose or bread flour (12-1/2 oz.)
1 T caraway seeds (or more if you like more seeds)
1 t vegetable oil (to coat bowl and loaf pan)
1 large egg, beaten for egg wash

Combine the yeast, sugar, melted butter, egg, and milk in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a mixing whisk. Beat on low speed for 1 minute, then change to dough hook. Combine the salt, rye flour, all-purpose flour, and caraway seeds in a separate bowl and blend well, then add to liquid 1 cup at a time. Beat at low speed until all of the flour is incorporated, about 1 minute. Then, beat at medium speed until the mixture forms a ball, leaves the sides of the bowl and climbs up the dough hook. Remove the dough from the bowl. Using your hands, form the dough into a smooth ball. Lightly oil a bowl. Place the dough in the bowl and turn it to oil all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draft-free place until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
(This can also be done the old fashioned way by hand, using the traditional methods of blending and kneading for 5-8 minutes until smooth and elastic)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 5 1/2 by 9-inch bread pan.

Remove the dough from the bowl and invert onto a lightly floured surface. Deflate dough by pressing your knuckles into the dough. Then gently knead the dough while shaping into a roll as long as your bread pan so that any seams disappear into the dough. Place the shaped roll in the baking pan with the seam side down. You can also make this bread as a free-form loaf like Italian bread. Simply roll up the dough, pinch the seams tightly and place seam side down on a cornmeal dusted cookie sheet or parchment paper. Can be cooked on any cooking stone as well. Cover with plastic wrap or a plastic bag with the handles tucked under the pan, and set aside in a warm, draft-free place until it doubles in size, about 1 hour. Use a pastry brush to brush the egg lightly over the top of the dough, then put three slashes in the dough at a 45 degree angle about ¼” deep. Bake until lightly brown, about 45 minutes. Immediately remove bread from pan and place on a cooling rack. The loaf should have a hollow sound when tapped on the bottom. If not hollow sounding, put it back in the pan and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches at least 200 degrees F. Allow to cool for a couple hours before slicing.

P1010038.jpg

RyeBread-2.jpg

The loaf above is a free-form loaf.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I got more. I just need to get another drink before posting another one.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
So, Joe rye flour comes several ways.
Looks like you used dark rye flour. There is also medium rye flour and a white rye flour. Further pumpernickel flour is to rye flour what wheat flour is to white flour. It contains all the bran and germ. I mention this to help the newbies who haven't made rye bread before. You may have some questions from those who want to give this a go. I also know that kimmel aka caraway seeds can be found at Penzeys.

Once again, I am in awe though---what I would give for a slice of rye bread. lol You will have to enjoy it for me!!!

Unfortunately, after learning all about this because rye bread with kimmel is one of my families' favorites, I was tested and found to be allergic to rye flour. How wierd is that?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Joe, you and Warren need think about moving to the Lexington area. Love these breads fresh breads.

Carolina Cooking

Basic Homemade Rye Bread

Makes one loaf
By: Joe Valencic​

1-1/4 t Instant Yeast
1 T sugar (I use brown sugar)
3 T melted butter
1 Egg
1 C warm milk (about 110 degrees F) (8 oz.)
1 1/2 t salt
1 C rye flour (4.6 oz.)
2 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose or bread flour (12-1/2 oz.)
1 T caraway seeds (or more if you like more seeds)
1 t vegetable oil (to coat bowl and loaf pan)
1 large egg, beaten for egg wash

Combine the yeast, sugar, melted butter, egg, and milk in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a mixing whisk. Beat on low speed for 1 minute, then change to dough hook. Combine the salt, rye flour, all-purpose flour, and caraway seeds in a separate bowl and blend well, then add to liquid 1 cup at a time. Beat at low speed until all of the flour is incorporated, about 1 minute. Then, beat at medium speed until the mixture forms a ball, leaves the sides of the bowl and climbs up the dough hook. Remove the dough from the bowl. Using your hands, form the dough into a smooth ball. Lightly oil a bowl. Place the dough in the bowl and turn it to oil all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draft-free place until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
(This can also be done the old fashioned way by hand, using the traditional methods of blending and kneading for 5-8 minutes until smooth and elastic)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 5 1/2 by 9-inch bread pan.

Remove the dough from the bowl and invert onto a lightly floured surface. Deflate dough by pressing your knuckles into the dough. Then gently knead the dough while shaping into a roll as long as your bread pan so that any seams disappear into the dough. Place the shaped roll in the baking pan with the seam side down. You can also make this bread as a free-form loaf like Italian bread. Simply roll up the dough, pinch the seams tightly and place seam side down on a cornmeal dusted cookie sheet or parchment paper. Can be cooked on any cooking stone as well. Cover with plastic wrap or a plastic bag with the handles tucked under the pan, and set aside in a warm, draft-free place until it doubles in size, about 1 hour. Use a pastry brush to brush the egg lightly over the top of the dough, then put three slashes in the dough at a 45 degree angle about ¼” deep. Bake until lightly brown, about 45 minutes. Immediately remove bread from pan and place on a cooling rack. The loaf should have a hollow sound when tapped on the bottom. If not hollow sounding, put it back in the pan and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches at least 200 degrees F. Allow to cool for a couple hours before slicing.

P1010038.jpg

RyeBread-2.jpg

The loaf above is a free-form loaf.

I picked up some RYE flour yesterday. Publix had it . I have several recipes & they call for Wheat Bran or wheat germ or wheat gluten.??? I only found untoasted wheat germ in the cereal's. Is this the right thing ? do I even need it since it s not in your recipe?
I am going to use your recipe in my breadmachine. Hope it works lol

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I picked up some RYE flour yesterday. Publix had it . I have several recipes & they call for Wheat Bran or wheat germ or wheat gluten.??? I only found untoasted wheat germ in the cereal's. Is this the right thing ? do I even need it since it s not in your recipe?
I am going to use your recipe in my breadmachine. Hope it works lol
You do not need anything not listed in the recipe, unless you choose to use another recipe, in which case you would need all the ingredients for that recipe. Vital wheat gluten is for flour with weak protein. Rye flour will make your loaf bloom like a flower, so the other stuff is just fluff. All you really need for bread is flour, water, salt and yeast. Anything else is an enhancement.

This recipe is untested in a bread machine, but as long as you follow the directions for placement of ingredients, you should be fine.