• Bleached

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Unbleached

Votes: 14 93.3%

• Total voters

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
It's funny - I don't know why I buy the unbleached. I guess in my mind, I'm thinking bleach shouldn't be in my bread. But I have no idea how flour is "bleached" - there may be no bleach involved!

homecook

It wasn't until Joe got me started baking bread that I knew there was an unbleached. lol I'm not sure if some of his recipes called for unbleached and that's why I started buying it. CRS, you know!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the theory behind "bleached flour" is TADAAA! a not yellow color.

'bleaching' will actually occur naturally if the flour is allow to "age"

early methods for bleaching involved bromate compounds which have become 'outlawed' in some countries.

see: http://www.prosphora.org/page8.html
provides a basic background to the question . . .

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Use pretty much exclusively King Arthur flours... all are unbleached. I use some Caputo which I believe is also unbleached, surely not bromated.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, guys, for the info about bleaching flour. (Am I the only one who is confused now about flour?)

David C

I actually prefere to use a wholemeal flour for bread as it is the healthy option containing all the goodness of the whole grain!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, guys, for the info about bleaching flour. (Am I the only one who is confused now about flour?)

I was too but JoeV set me straight, LOL. I now buy King Arthur unbleached bread flour and Hodgkins Mill whole wheat flour for my breads. I still use plain bleached all purpose flour for everything else.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Edit to my earlier post.... I'm now milling my own wheat and rye flours. I can't sift it well enough to get a white flour, but by putting it into a soaker overnight, and baking with it the next morning, there's no better way to preserve the vitamins :)

Guts

I wanted to add this to my post but no edit:unsure:
KASL
------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• KASL flour.jpg
    KASL flour.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 108