Hobart N-50

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I've seen those shows with the sticking bowls on the Viking models. Always funny to watch but sure hasn't made me want to buy one. Since I don't do a lot of any cake or bread making my old Kitchen Aid Classic model does the job just fine. I use it mostly as a meat grinder, sausage maker though my wife does do a few cakes and pies each year. Oh and I do up my favorite thanksgiving brandy sweet potatoes in orange cups in it as well. ;)

gadzooks

Hi, all. Just thought I'd chime in, as I do have an N-50. But only because I found one in a thrift store for $7.00. Plus sales tax, it was $7.56. I paid eight, and let 'em have the change. To be honest, it did cost another $200 to fully dress the machine. The bowl capacity was an improvement over my K45. I also have the meat grinder attachment, and use it. And the copper liner bowl for meringues and buttercreams. Not likely I'd buy one new, but I couldn't pass this one up.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Dag, that's a steal! I don't think that I'd pass it up either, at THAT price.

Joec, funny that you shoul;d mention brandy sweet potatoes. One of my specialties is bourbon sweet potato pie. Made several of them at one time, and the Electrolux Assistant handled the filling nicely with room to spare!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's my long-standing 23-year-old K'Aid K-45SS Stand Mixer.

It has helped me make a lot of things, and it still works today as good as new. :applause:

Attachments

• 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 233
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 236

Shermie

Site Supporter
I had one of THESE in the early '80s before getting the K'Aid Mixer shown above.

But the motor kept on overheating and shutting off while using it. It was a pain in the butt because I had to wait almost 30 minutes for the motor to cool down before pressing the reset button under the motor! :biggrin:

Attachments

• Vintage Kenwood Chef Stand Mixer..jpg
    Vintage Kenwood Chef Stand Mixer..jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

leolady

In the 80's I had one of those Oster Kitchen Center mixers with all those attachments and stuff. It was fun, but definitely a mixer bantam weight. I gave mine to my mom.

Shermie

Site Supporter
We seem to have or have had the same things!

I also had an Oster Kitchen Center, and loved it to death. But unfortunately, it gave up the ghost, or otherwise I'd still have it today. Bought in the late '70s.

And yes, it DID have a lot of accessories. I even had the doughmaker arm for mine.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
After hearing so many bad stories about KA mixers, I've decided to get a Cuisinart Precision Master Stand Mixer.:weber:

Attachments

• Cuisinart Precision Master.jpg
    Cuisinart Precision Master.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 177

Shermie

Site Supporter
this machine is a commercial one, having true metal gear machinery & a 575-watt motor. The 5-quart bowl is of a solid thick-gage heavy stainless steel and it can be used in commercial kitchens. The body is made from a thick heavy duty cast aluminum.

Seriously thinking about getting one!! :cooking::wow:

Attachments

• kws 5-qt stand mixer..jpg
    kws 5-qt stand mixer..jpg
    29 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Of course, I still have THIS one! :cooking::wow:

Attachments

• Electrolux Stand Mixer..jpg
    Electrolux Stand Mixer..jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 172

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a commercial KitchenAid, one where the head does not tilt back - you raise and lower the bowl.

Love it! Very powerful and never fails.

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here are 2 more. 7-qt & a giant 12-qt machine!:applause:

Attachments

• kws 7-qt mixer..jpg
    kws 7-qt mixer..jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 160
  • kws 123-qt mixer..jpg
    kws 123-qt mixer..jpg
    43 KB · Views: 171

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's a Hobart HL5 stand mixer, but it only is available at Ebay, & it costs over $1,000!! :piesmiley1::eating2:

Attachments

• Hobart HL- 6 stand mixer..jpg
    Hobart HL- 6 stand mixer..jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 213

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's another one that is said to be good for home use, & excels very much for the gourmet or home cook!! :WitchBrewsSmiley::wow:

Attachments

• Bosh Universal Mixer..jpg
    Bosh Universal Mixer..jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 153

Shermie

Site Supporter
Gonna try THIS machine just to see how it compares with the Cuisinart mixer. :weber:

Attachments

• kws 5-qt Commercial Mixer..jpg
    kws 5-qt Commercial Mixer..jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 300

Shermie

Site Supporter
I just won an ebay auction and bought the hobart n-50 of my dreams:

• Hobart N-50 Commercial Stand Mixer
  • 1/6 HP
  • 115 Volt
  • 2.85 Amp
  • 1725 RPM
This sale includes:

• Hobart N-50 Stand Mixer
  • 4 Bowls
  • 2 Wires
  • 1 Dough hook
  • 2 Mixers
It is in very good condition and I already have the copper bowl for it. The best part is I spent about 1/3 of what the other ones that I had bid on in the past went for.:clap::clap::clap:.

I, also, just received the mixers of my dreams! The Nutrimill Artiste & the Globe SP05!! The SP05 also came from Ebay at a nice price. Not list price either. And it came dressed with all the standard accessories as well!! :WitchBrewsSmiley:

Attachments

• My Globe mixer next to the Nurmill Artiste mixer..jpg
    My Globe mixer next to the Nurmill Artiste mixer..jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
And the King of Kitchen Toys scores again!

Have fun, Shermie!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks!

I STILLwant the Hobart N50, even if I have to get it used!! I'd shine it up & make look brand new!! Been looking for a good one on Ebay that's used, but still in good working order!! A new one would bust up my income way too much!!:WitchBrewsSmiley:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I ended up getting this used mixer, the KA Model G from Ebay. It was this model that had inspired Hobart to make the N50 mixer. Couldn't get a used n50 mixer.

This looks almost like it!! And it still works on all 3 speeds, believe it or not!! :weber: :WitchBrewsSmiley:

Attachments

• Model G with fuse at the back of the machine..jpg
    Model G with fuse at the back of the machine..jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 216
Last edited: