Crawfish etoufee

Peggy

This is one of the recipes I use for making crawfish etoufee. There are many different ones, but this is pretty much my favorite. I have had it in restaurants where it is made with tomato sauce added, but I don't care for the red etoufee at all.

1 pound peeled crawfish tails (or you can use shrimp)
Salt
Black pepper
Onion powder
Garlic powder
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour (more or less, it's according to how thiick you like it)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup finely chopped bell peppers
1/2 cup water
1 bunch green onions, chopped, (use the green part only)

Season the peeled crawfish tails lightly in a bowl with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. (Or, I just use Tony Chacere's seasoning instead.)
Melt the butter and add the onions, garlic, and bell pepper, over low heat stirring constantly, and cook until wilted. Add flour and stir, stir, stir, until light brown, making sure not to burn it, if it burns, you have to start all over! Add the water slowly, and stir until blened. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Add the crawfish and onion tops, simmer for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, you don't want to overcook the crawfish.
Serve over cooked white rice, or some people like it over pasta.
Enjoy!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Wonderful. Thanks. DW & I used to fly New Orleans layovers together just for the food and this is one of my long time favs.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I miss crawfish and boudin from Louisiana though my wife makes a good pot of etoufee and gumbo. We did get 60 lbs of live crawfish when my grand daughter went down for a couple of days. I love mud bugs and good boudin though I do make my own not that I've found a source for pork liver here in Kentucky. I might add that is the only thing I miss about Louisiana as I will never go back there. I lived in Jennings for about a year and a half and in Vidor Texas for about 10 years.

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_3347.JPG
    Copy of IMG_3347.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 177
  • crawfishboil1.jpg
    crawfishboil1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 173

Cooksie

Site Supporter
That sounds like a wonderful recipe. I love all things Cajun, especially crawfish. When we go out, I'm always looking for a fish topped with a little etoufee, excellent combo. Of course, I like it straight-up too! Thanks for the recipe.

Peggy

Buzzard, yeah, that's a good reason to come, for the food! Joe, you cetainally would not want to be here now! The heat is just unbearable. Hi 90's to 100's and heat indexes have reached around 110. Add in humidity and no rain, UGGGHHHH! Great pics of the crawfish boil!
Cooksie, I love fish topped with a little etoufee also! It's one of my favorites when I go out to eat. As long as you get the right kind of etoufee. I have had it with the red sauce and I don't care for that at all.

Constance

I will never, ever, forget when Noami made crawfish bisque for us all. The sauce was very rich, thick and pink, from the tomatoes and cream, and delicately seasoned with garlic and tiny little bits of herbs and seasonings that Naomi never mentioned or shared.

My mom and dad did not know what to think, but they sure loved it.

I've had etouffe, as well, from the dear people who tried to make me feel at home down there. I sure wish I could go back and thank them all. I was so dumb when I was 19. Kim says I was raised under a tub.

Last edited:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Buzzard, yeah, that's a good reason to come, for the food! Joe, you cetainally would not want to be here now! The heat is just unbearable. Hi 90's to 100's and heat indexes have reached around 110. Add in humidity and no rain, UGGGHHHH!

Yeah, southern summer weather is no bargain. I have a friend who just left NO for the summer. She really loves it there in the winter though.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I kind of made that on the fly Dee. Used a pound of ziti noodles, sun dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, celery, red onion with a bit of Miracle Wipe and a touch of mustard. Of course salt and pepper to taste.