Italian Cookies

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Anyone like Italian cookies? I find they arent that sweet and I love that! ANy good recipes that you folks have?

PanchoHambre

I love Italian cookies as well.... I rely on bakeries though.:rolleyes:

Pignoli are one of my favorites but I really never met one I did not like.

suziquzie

oooo I haven't had a good italian cookie since I was a kid in the Bronx. There was a bakery around the corner and my Mom would take us there once a week for a treat.
mmmmmm.
Someone post a recipe please!!!
Oh, and I think even if that cookie had a knife I would love him to PIECES!!!!!

PanchoHambre

oooo I haven't had a good italian cookie since I was a kid in the Bronx. There was a bakery around the corner and my Mom would take us there once a week for a treat.

LOL! Arthur Ave is where it's at... that where all the food came from in my house.... the cookies rarely make it home though.... some great pics here

PanchoHambre

Enlighten me. What exactly are Italian cookies?

well I am not quite sure exactly what the OP had in mind but to me its those assorted cookies you would get at an Italian bakery. They are all sort of different but often involve jelly filling and a partial dip in chocolate or some jimmies and a fairly dry crumbly cookie part. then there are the pignoli which are softer and covered in pine nuts and the 3 layer Neapolitan cookies.

they are usually presented like this (not the best pic but the best I could find)

cookies_main.jpg

Tickle Me Elmo

well I am not quite sure exactly what the OP had in mind but to me its those assorted cookies you would get at an Italian bakery. They are all sort of different but often involve jelly filling and a partial dip in chocolate or some jimmies and a fairly dry crumbly cookie part. then there are the pignoli which are softer and covered in pine nuts and the 3 layer Neapolitan cookies.

they are usually presented like this (not the best pic but the best I could find)

cookies_main.jpg

In that case, I should consider changing my nationality.:biggrin:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
^ very much what ours looks lilke! Tony's has a huge selection, but the best way to go is their sample box of cookies. About the same size as a two layer round cake box and filled to the top with all different kinds of cookies. I do really like the pignoli's, though!
I would love to have more than a few of these recipes as well!

PanchoHambre

oh yeah and they are best eaten in two ways

for a snack with a cappuccino at a sidewalk table after you have spent the morning buying (and sampling cheeses and cold cuts)

or

after an all day multi-course holiday feast when you don't think you could possibly eat more with an espresso and a shot of Sambuca (or Grappa if you are feeling feisty)

and you should never allow you wretched little cousins to touch every one in the box while deciding which one they want to eat (I almost killed them for this)

and the ones they sell at the supermarket that look similar are always gross and stale and highly disappointing.

PanchoHambre

Ok Pancho knock it off you're killin' me!
That pic has me droolin' even WITH an upset stomach!

Sorry can't help it Here's a Sfogliatella (schfoo-ya-tel in bx lingo) for breakfast!

487581302_678e872216_m.jpg

a pastry not a cookie but I can't get out of Adios or Madonia without one:D. My absolute favorite....

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
around here we only get italian cookies at christmas time

the ones i like are called Pizzelles (tie plates in canada)

pizzelle.JPG

and Genettis

genetti.jpg

homecook

around here we only get italian cookies at christmas time

the ones i like are called Pizzelles (tie plates in canada)

pizzelle.JPG

My aunt used to make these for my grandmother every year at Christmas. They have the anise (licorice) flavor right?

Barb