Cheesy Ham and Egg Casserole

Ian M.

This is too good to be believed and is the best ever use for leftover ham and croutons!

4 cups of croutons - herb flavored if possible
1/2 cup diced ham
12 oz pkg. sharp cheddar - shredded
8 eggs
4 cups whole milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. Onion salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/8 tsp. pepper

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Spread croutons in bottom of a 13 X 9 inch pan. Evenly scatter diced ham and shredded cheese over croutons in pan. In a mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs. Whisk in remaining ingredients until blended, then pour evenly over ingredients in pan. Bake for about 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serves 8 to 10 people. If desired, you can add finely chopped, fresh basil and diced up tomatoes to egg mixture for color and additional flavor. This is great served with a fruit compote and warmed croissents. Makes a Sunday worth getting up for..............

Ian :biggrin:

Squirrel

Mess Cook
Site Supporter
Great recipe! People don't realize how amazing dry mustard is in a recipe. Glad to see it in yours. I will give this one a try.

Ian M.

Hello, again, Cheryl...yeah, this is good eating. Incidently, I had to wrestle my wife to get the use of the computer for just long enough to say hello and suggest that this recipe is great if you want to get inventive and add extra stuff to it like some fresh basil and maybe chopped pimento or diced tomato for some added color. Good and tasty. I should warn you that this recipe makes enough to feed an emerging third-world nation so you may want to cut it down some.

Ian :biggrin: