Shad Roe!!

Woo Hoo!!!!

Just saw the first market advertisement of the season for Shad Roe!!

Spring has definitely sprung!! (As if the high temp here of 82 degrees wasn't announcement enough - lol!)

Anyone else besides me enjoy this seasonal treat? (I realize that it's sort of an acquired taste. . . .)

If you're talking about Salmon Roe as it's prepared caviar-style, Shad Roe is a completely different item. Sort of looks like a piece of liver & is cooked whole with the tiny eggs still contained in the roe membrane.

I know that bacon is a semi-traditional accompaniment, but I feel the smoky flavor is too overpowering.

All I do is gently place the roe in a pan with an obscene amount of unsalted butter, & gently poach/saute it on both sides until "just" cooked through. Sometimes I'll add a little garlic or a dollop of dry white wine, but usually just a squeeze of lemon juice & a grind or two of black pepper suffices.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
My anti-virus won't let me open that link Andy. It says it contains Adware.

chilefarmer

Never have seen, cooked or eaten shad roe, but would give it a try. I have eaten catfish eggs battered and fried, I like them. CF:smile:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've never tried it. It has that liver look. I'm a pretty adventurous eater, but I'm not so sure about this.

BTW, Breezy, you cook and eat the most interesting things.

Photo from Wikipedia:

800px-Shad_roe.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I use Kaspersky. I used to use Norton until a few years ago when I got a virus and had to take it to Geek Squad and had to pay $200 to have it fixed. I asked them if there was a better anti-virus and they told me that they had never had a computer brought in that was using Kaspersky so I had them install it. I've been using it 3 years now and haven't had any issues.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well that's weird, it opened this time. I must have tried to click on the pop up window or something last time :huh:.

Looks are definitely deceiving in this case. It literally took me YEARS before I'd try Shad Roe due to its appearance, especially since my mother once told me she didn't like it at all, & she's a very adventurous diner. But one day my curiousity got the better of me, & I've been a fan ever since. I can definitely understand why some folks don't care for it. The eggs inside the membrane can have a slightly grainy texture which some people find off-putting. I can't even say why I really like it - only know that I do & really look forward to its appearance every Spring.

But since my husband would rather eat worms & die than eat it, when I splurge on it for myself, I just cook up a different type of fish filet for him with the same sides (I like fresh Spring asparagus with Shad Roe, & sometimes some sauteed sliced baby potatoes), & all is right with the world. :)