flour shaker

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i intened to use this rummage sale item for either flour/powdered sugar, either 4 rouxs 'er dusting items. i cannot, 4 the life of me, figure how to get the item into this thing! it hasn't got lids/caps, there's holes & that's it.
has anyone got a similar item, & if so, pointers on getting the flour/sugar into it?-

Attachments

• IMG_028689.jpg
    IMG_028689.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 175

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
My first guess is that the top comes off, either screws on or a friction fit. Over the years the top and the sides have become fused. I'd try WD 40 around the top joint for a couple of days. If the WD 40 can penetrate the seal, the top should come off, although grudgingly. Those rubber rounds made for removing jar lids will help. You can also use a torch to heat the can itself. It's a little tricky as you need to heat the lower portion enough to expand it without heating up the top too much, and not buckling the lower portion.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
thanx, jim, i'll check if a guy could lend me a can- so i can try & dislodge the cap via wd-40. i have a wrench, though that may well dent that delicate, flimsy tin. i'll try the stove & tongs, then if that is unsuccessful, the wd. thanx!

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
It would not surprise me if it was not aluminum, not ferrous metal. In any case, your wrench will probably dent it.

If you must resort to heat, do not overdo it. An ordinary grill lighter should produce enough heat. Too much and you will discolor or distort the metal.

Carolina Cooking

I think it may be for decoration.

I use those cheese shakers from Pizza Hut . Not telling how or why I have so many :yum::yum:

I use one for toothpicks too. they work great for flour..

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That is so cool. It looks to be vintage. I was able to find an identical set of Salt and Pepper shakers from the 60s, and the top definitely unscrews and comes off. Check the 3rd pick on the right side to see it.

Awesome find! :thumb:

<click me to see them>

Attachments

• Unscrew_top.jpg
    Unscrew_top.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 163

Leni

Mom had one of those and yes the top does come off. I remember unscrewing it to add more flour. It was aluminum so be careful or you'll dent it.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i thought vintage, too, keltin. ) .25, though, so i was the taker! i am gonna use a couple of way 2 try to pry the lid. thanx, guys! keeps the thoughts flowing as this would be a lovely item to use. i've awhile w/ the weather being itself this summer, anyhow!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
I think it may be for decoration.

I use those cheese shakers from Pizza Hut . Not telling how or why I have so many :yum::yum:

I use one for toothpicks too. they work great for flour..

has someone maybe, 'erm, inadvertantly placed a few into her bag a time or twenty, lol:oops: