BOO!

Squirrel

Mess Cook
Site Supporter
Re: Newbie from Georgia!

I lived in Aiken for several years. Did you ever go to the Brew Pub while you were there? I used to hang out there a good bit. Great beer.

DanMcG

Hello from Central NY

Hey everyone, If ya haven't guessed My name is Dan and I'm a Yankee from NY.
I enjoy cooking but not as much as I like eating. My main hobby is sausage making and meat curing but I hope to learn a few tricks here.

Thanks for having me, Dan

And FWIW I'm a friend of squirrel girl.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Re: Hello from Central NY

Welcome to the Forum! :tiphat:

Glad you found us!

Jim

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Hi Dan, Welcome to net cooking talk. :thumb: :tiphat:
Interesting, sausage making and meat curing .... do you do pastrami? Mmmm I love pastrami. :D
Enjoy and post often. :thumb:

Thanks Squirrel girl for referring Dan. :clap: :clap: :clap: Good job.

Squirrel

Mess Cook
Site Supporter

Hey Buddy! Glad you joined. This is a great site. You've got to check out all the wonderful recipes in the archives. Some talented folks here.

Dan is my go to when I have a sausage making or curing meat question. Hugs my brutha!!!!

Sweet_tooth

Banned

Hi Dan, Welcome to net cooking talk. :thumb: :tiphat:
Interesting, sausage making and meat curing .... do you do pastrami? Mmmm I love pastrami. :D
Enjoy and post often. :thumb:

Thanks Squirrel girl for referring Dan. :clap: :clap: :clap: Good job.

YO WELCOME TO NTC.and doc i agree on pastrami i love too
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ian M.

Dan, welcome to NCT. You'll find some of the very best guys to talk to about curing and smoking meat right here on this site!

Ian :wave:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

Welcome to the group!!

Dan, welcome to NCT. You'll find some of the very best guys to talk to about curing and smoking meat right here on this site!

Ian :wave:
:twak: HMMMMMMMMMMMMM Squirel is pretty good at it also. LOL Just Kidding.

Ian M.

BTW Dan where in central NY? I grew up in Utica.

Hi Andy - I have heard Utica called "Sin City" but I never knew why. When I was just a little kid we lived, very briefly, near Rochester - not too central.

Ian

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter

Welcome! Would love to hear about your adventures in Charcuterie, something I have experimented in, but just wish I had more time to dedicate to.

looking forward to your suggestions!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter

Hi Andy - I have heard Utica called "Sin City" but I never knew why. When I was just a little kid we lived, very briefly, near Rochester - not too central.

Ian

I have not heard that moniker attached to Utica, but then, I left town at 17 for the Air Force.

DanMcG

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Haven't had anytime to check out all the forums but the few I did peek at looked dang good.

Doc, pastrami is easy to do. I don't really enjoy my hobby in the heat of the summer, but my freezer is bare so might do some soon. I'll post it if I do.
Adillo303, I'm a bit north of Syracuse,been here on and off for most of my 57 years.
Ian I think Sin City referred to a extremely corrupt political system back in the 50's or 60's....We knew it as Little Italy in the 70's 80's when the big mafia families controlled most everything, then started to bump each other off. they're still there but keep a lower profile.

Again thanks for the warm welcome, I hope to be able to share some knowledge, I know I'll be taking advantage of whats offered here.

Dan

Hi Dan - Welcome to NCT. Thank you so much for answering my husband's curiosity about where Utica got it's nickname. My father trained race horses and raced them at Saratoga, some 60 to 70 miles east of Utica and was very often in or near Utica many years ago. He has told stories about the influence of La Cosa Nostra in and around that city. He said that the long arm of the mafia was very heavily felt in the area and they controlled everything including the racing circuit with an iron fist. He had mentioned the nickname Sin City on a number of occasions and that's where Ian had heard it. I believe that there are still a number of old-time members of some of the mob Families still living in pretty palatial homes in Utica, quietyly and unobtrusively for the most part. He said it was still necessary to watch your back if you crossed any of them, though. It doesn't surprise me that Andy didn't know about that, however, as he's much too nice a person to have ever been near it!

Fallon :wave:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

A big welcome from me, too, Dan! (and thanks for inviting him over, Squirrel!)

I've made sausages a few times, and it was fun. Not sure I'll do it again, but I'm glad I had the experience.

Do you have Rytek's book?

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter

Dan I have trip big tubs of casings waiting for me to learn how to use them. I am ready to learn.

DanMcG

Hey QSis, I bought Mr. Kutas's book back in the mid 80's and it's a great starter book. definitely worth the money. I still use it for reference now and then.

big tubs of casings? How big of big tubs Adillo? What ya want to make? I bet I got a recipe to share with ya.

Sure seems like a nice place to hang out, thanks again for the welcome.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter

Hi Dan,

Ii have two plastic tubs they look to be about 6" across and 4 or so inches high. One is sheep casings and one hog casings.

I got a WSM this spring and made made some kielbasa. I was going to make hot dogs, but, decided against it. Long time ago I made all my breakfast sausage and Italian sausage. I lost all my recipes in a marital proceeding.

I would like to make breakfast sausage. Kind of sagey with a bit of a bang, not necessarily a big bang. Also sweet Italian sausage and maybe brats.

On our site, Chile Farmer got me going and I made bacon which also involved curing.

Really glad to have you here.

Andy