Easy baked chicken

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
From a really old Southern Living cookbook. Recipe can be easily increased, just use a bigger pan to bake. First time we made this, I told DH this was good enough for company as it tastes like something that took a good bit of time to make even though it's not the prettiest dish around.

4 chicken thighs or 2 large breasts cut in half
Salt and pepper
4 (4x4 inch) slices Swiss cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup dry white wine (or stock or a half-n-half mixture)
1 cup crushed herb-seasoned stuffing mix
3-4 tablespoons butter, melted

Pour about 1 Tbsp butter in bottom of 8x8 or 9x9 pan and smear to cover bottom. Arrange chicken, salt and pepper to taste, top with cheese slices. Combine soup mix and wine, stir well. Pour over chicken. Top with stuffing mix. Drizzle with remaining butter. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Serves 4 or 2 if big eaters.

Serve with noodles or rice, and a green salad or vegetable.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, yeah, that DOES sound easy! And I always have those things available!

Thanks, Karen!

Printed out to make.

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
From a really old Southern Living cookbook. Recipe can be easily increased, just use a bigger pan to bake. First time we made this, I told DH this was good enough for company as it tastes like something that took a good bit of time to make even though it's not the prettiest dish around.

4 chicken thighs or 2 large breasts cut in half
Salt and pepper
4 (4x4 inch) slices Swiss cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup dry white wine (or stock or a half-n-half mixture)
1 cup crushed herb-seasoned stuffing mix
3-4 tablespoons butter, melted

Pour about 1 Tbsp butter in bottom of 8x8 or 9x9 pan and smear to cover bottom. Arrange chicken, salt and pepper to taste, top with cheese slices. Combine soup mix and wine, stir well. Pour over chicken. Top with stuffing mix. Drizzle with remaining butter. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Serves 4 or 2 if big eaters.

Serve with noodles or rice, and a green salad or vegetable.

Pic, please? :weber:

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Pic, please? :weber:

Don't have one, i forgot last night and, like I wrote, it's really not that pretty. I put buttered egg noodles down, a piece of chicken on the side and some of the gravy/sauce on top of the rest of the noodles. Then the steamed broccoli on the side so at least there's a pop of bright green.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Karen, the stuffing is dry, right? Not mixed with any liquid?

And it's baked uncovered?

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Correct on all. The stuffing soaks up moisture from below, a bit from the drizzled butter and moisture in the air, giving a moist but still slightly crunchy topping.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made this tonight - really easy and really good!

Lots of textures - tender chicken, cheesiness, crunchy topping, and a ton of winey gravy.

At the table, I spooned some of the gravy over the topping - loved it!

Thanks again, medtran!

Took a couple of pictures for you, Shermie.

Lee

Attachments

• chicken 1.JPG
    chicken 1.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 251
  • chicken 2.JPG
    chicken 2.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 242

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Update: this is even BETTER when the leftovers are reheated!

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Did you use chicken breasts? Were they boneless/skinless or deboned with the skin on?

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Did you use chicken breasts? Were they boneless/skinless or deboned with the skin on?

You could use breasts, but we like thighs as they don't dry out like breasts sometimes do.

I prefer to use boneless/skinless because it's easier to cut and eat, though we have made it with bone in if I didn't have b/s thighs or didn't feel like deboning them before cooking.