Goodbye Little Mickey

Last week we lost a small friend. After my mother-in-law passed away last year we adopted one of her three cats (Ian's two brothers each adopted one of the others) and we'd had Mickey ever since that time. He was smaller than most cats his age (he was fifteen-years-old) and had been born blind. His mother rejected him because he was the runt of the litter and Ian and my father-in-law had nursed that little kitten, fed him with an eye dropper and coddled him until he was able to get his pins under himself and learn how to get around. So Ian always felt really close to Mickey and of coarse, wanted to keep him with us after Mum passed away. It was like having a little bit of her with us all the time, too. But last week we finally had to admit that Mickey wasn't well - and wasn't getting any healthier as time has gone by - and our vet recommended that we put him down. He'd developed diabetes (I never knew animals could be diabetic) and at his age and in his fragil condition, he couldn't have withstood treatment for it. So we had to say goodbye and it hasn't been easy for any of us, since. Many people just say, when you grieve for an animal, "oh, it's just a pet" or "it's just a cat". But Mickey was so very much more than that and we miss him so. My cat, Toby Bear, still hasn't adjusted to the fact that his play-buddie isn't here any longer. Nor has Ian. I've been keeping an eye out for a black kitten to come live with us and help to fill the void that losing Mickey has left in our lives.

Fallon :sad::sad:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Fallon - I am really sorry to hear this. They are not just a pet,they are part of your life.

Andy, you're so right about the fact that a pet is so much more than "only a pet". They worm their way under your skin and become a vital part of the fabric of your life! They're like your family, your children, however you may look at the relationship you have with them. Each animal is a distinct personality unto it's self, with special traits just their own, with likes and dislikes that sometimes we don't completely understand. Just like with wee Mickey, there are things we'll always remember especially about him, that no other pet has ever done or been. Like his habit of jumping up on our bed in the middle of the night and snuggling down between us and waking up in the morning to hear his rumbling purr and feel that warm little body keeping sentinal over us and the others and then acting all nonchalant when we'd get up to fix his breakfast...as though it wasn't entirely his idea at all. Or his sense of humor....things like always being at the center of the disappearances of things that caught his attention, such as keys, pens or scraps of paper. Book marks were a particular favorite of Mickey's, to hide them and cherish them for days before he'd finally give them back and share your property with you. He was a little character who certainly left his paw-prints on our hearts.

Fallon :lucky:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Pets aren't just pets, they're family.

I'm so sorry for your loss Fallon and Ian.

cookingirl

Fallon, I am so sorry to hear about Mickey. I know exactly how you feel. Had to do the same with my diabetic kitty a long time ago..
Actually, 9 weeks ago I adopted Artie....he is an adult cat---such a sweetie....It was love at first sight!
He follows me everywhere...has wormed his way into my heart..pets are more than family--I swear they are a part of our soul..
so funny, I just saw an adult cat at Petsmart, today---not a 'puppy' mill...this is run be the local humane society, which are the people I got Artie from.....she looked so sad. She has been there a few weeks--her owner took sick and could not care for her...I really wanted to take her home, but it would not be fair to Artie...not yet, at least--he has just gotten accustomed to being here and sharing things now, would not work for him....the kitty I saw was a dark grey, around 5 yrs old and very sweet, but sad. I hope someone adopts her soon..
it will take time, but you will always remember Mickey---I do of Pumpkin.....
There are lots of cats, kitties right now at all the shelters....adult cats are harder to find homes for--but they are a blessing: trained, shots, neutered, and happy to be adopted...It is a process for them to understand that they finally have a home, but once they do---they are wonderful!
Good luck,
Cyn

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Fallon, I'm so sorry to hear of your losing your little kitty.

You will find a huge amount of sympathy and understanding from us folks here!

Lee

Leni

It always hurts because they are part of the family. Only those who are not owned by a pet would say that it's only a pet.

Ian M.

Thanks, all, for your kind condolances in the loss of our little guy. Because he belonged to my Mum, it was really difficult to lose Mick. Seemed kind of like a special fur-lined link to my Mum, in a way. Cyn, where is that Petsmart located? The only ones I'm familiar with are the ones in Peabody and Andover. We'd sure give that sad little lady a home if we could find her.

Ian :wave:

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
:( Im sorry. Im VERY VERY sorry. There is nothing else I can convey. I have 2 cats and we are all VERY close :(

cookingirl

Ian, The Petsmart I go to is in Route 1 in Saugus, Ma..The kitties are maintained by the Melrose Humane Society. I go there almost every week. This particular kitty was given up by a woman who had MS and could not care for her anymore. I have seen her demeanor deteriorate this week--she looks sweet..The humane society has a website.
When I decieded I wanted a cat, I called the society telephone number. It took a few hours for a return call. It was a Saturday, I saw Artie Sunday at 11am, in a foster home, he never went to Petsmart cuz his foster mom thought it wasn't for him..I picked him up at 3pm Sunday, and have had him ever since.
I am still in contact with his foster mom--she is on the board of directors.I have her cell phone number...I am afraid Saugus may be a tad far for you...
If I can be of any more help-let me know...either pm or leave a message here..I go on and off all day..
cyn

Hi, Cyn. You're absolutely right, Saugus is a bit far from where we are....but actually not that much further than all the traveling we did yesterday, although we remained primarily on the North Shore in our cruising around. I'm also a little hesitant to get an older cat. I'm sort of holding out for a kitten who can play with my Toby and be a companion for him. Mickey was 15 years old and wasn't really up for playing the way Toby likes to and I'd love for him to have a cat his own age to get into mischief with. But we're in the process of cat shopping right now and will certainly keep the shelter in your area in mind for future reference. Thanks so much for your help.

Fallon

Last edited:

cookingirl

Hi Ian,
Yeah, I thought my petsmart was too far.. since I adopted Artie, my heart goes out to all the homeless adult cats out there..There are lots of kittens out there now--or will be soon. There are many shelters out there who have tons of kittens..it is kitten season!
Good luck with whoever you decide upon! I am quite certain they will have a wonderful life, with awesome parents!!!
Cyn

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
It's amazing how much a part of the family a pet can become. Hopefully Toby Bear will have another pal soon, and you another loving cat.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Pets are the most wonderful thieves there are. They come into your home and the first thing they do is to steal your heart. They NEVER give it back.

You are all right about the personalities. Each is as individual as we are.