• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 181
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 165

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That's amazing Guts! I've been pondering homemade past of late and was wondering if you could do it relatively simply without a past rolling machine. Did you use a machine or just hand roll it?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Beautiful!! Did you cut it with a pizza wheel?

Yes please share the recipe. YUMMY!!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
That really looks perfect, Guts! My mom used to make her own noodles all the time (nobody called it "pasta" then), and they tasted so good. She just rolled the dough out and sliced it up - I'm pretty sure she didn't have a pizza cutter. She'd hang them all over the backs of the dining room chairs to dry out a bit before she cooked it. Guts, do you mix the dough in a KA, food processor, by hand? It looks so uniformly colored - just beautiful.

Guts

First thanks for the encouragement, and nice comments. My plans is to try some with some Knorr Alfredo sauce. Than give some away... I should not be eating any thing with vitamin "K" which spinach is on that list.
As I said this was my first time making spinach pasta. Getting the hydration right is the hardest thing. I been told the hydration should be between 29% to 31%... It's hard to tell how much water is in the spinach is what I'm trying to say here. I drained the spinach and then put it in a mini food processor, and added it to the dough, it took about 10-12 minuets with the KA mixer with dough hook. To roll and cut the pasta I used the KA rollers that fit in the head of the machine, not the extruder plastic thing, these are the metal rollers made in Italy.
Keltin if you were to use a mixer for spinach pasta it could be rolled and cut by hand, but the kneading needed to incorporate the spinach well that takes time an would not want to do by hand. Other plain pasta dough could be made by hand but I wouldn't try the spinach type for the first time. One more thing; with the spinach in the pasta it is a little harder to cut because of the spinach wants to acts as strings holding the pasta together. The basic dough is easy, I think you should try some Keltin.
Karen I use the KA mixer type like in this post #14.. basic past dough, the semolina flour is the key.

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16206

Basic pasta recipe from the KA pasta book

3 1/3 cups Semolina flour or 556 grams

4 large eggs approximately 220 grams / 55 g each

2 TBS water or 30ml / 30 grams

½ tsp salt or 4.5 grams

1 TBS oil

I did not use oil in my spinach pasta. the spinach was 188 grams.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
FANTASTIC, Guts! Looks lovely!

Lee

lol, BT! Mr. Double Entendre!

Guts

Here is the pasta cooked and served with Alfredo sauce.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 151

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Hey Guts, that's really beautiful pasta. You should feel very accomplished! I have to be careful not to feed too much spinach to DH, also - he takes coumadin for a heart arrythmia. But we've learned, over the years, how much dark green stuff he can eat without upsetting the balance.

Guts

Karen that's my problem too (WARFARIN) it said not to eat; broccoli,cauliflower,cabbage,brussels sprouts,kale,spinach,and other green leafy vegetables, liver,green tea. Also limit the amount of cranberry juice(16oz per day) and other cranberry products you mat eat or drink.
Kim

PS thank all of you for the reply's I will make this again, it was very tasty.

Last edited:

Guts

Garlic Pasta

3 1/3 cups Semolina Flour - 556 grams
½ tsp Salt - 4.5 grams
15 ml. olive oil - 15 grams
4 Eggs -218 grams / Rule of thumb is 1 Egg for 100 grams of Flour ( I only used 4 Eggs )
One head of Roasted Garlic / weight - 54.4 grams cleaned cloves. Put this in a mini food processor With - 30 grams of water. 84.4 grams total. At the time of making the pasta the total weight of the Garlic and water was - 77 grams. Due to the loss factor in removing from the mini food processor to the Pasta Dough.
Using a Kitchen Aid professional 600 mix with the flat beater for two minutes on speed two, then switch to the dough hook again on speed two knead 4 -6 minutes. Remove dough and hand knead and shape into a log shape. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour. Then cut into eight equal pieces. Shape into flat log shape about ¼ inch or less, to run thru rollers.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 134

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Hey Guts, where did you find that bottle of Mirin! That's the real stuff. I've only been able to find the small Kikoman cooking version of it here.

Guts

Hey Guts, where did you find that bottle of Mirin! That's the real stuff. I've only been able to find the small Kikoman cooking version of it here.

Found it at Ralph's store but the one by me is closing down, lost there lease. i like it in my shrimp scampi.

Guts

Copied!! So you would add the hot pepper paste to the eggs/oil?

Peeps I would make this way, if I had your hot pepper paste? not sure how hot it is though. I could only a guess on the paste. but I would use this recipe. I think i would taste it (the water and paste), remember it is a lot of dough. I buy the semolina flour bulk and it cost very little around $0.28 per lb.

3 1/3 cups Semolina Flour - 556 grams
½ tsp Salt - 4.5 grams
15 ml. olive oil - 15 grams
4 Eggs -218 grams ± / Rule of thumb is 1 Egg for 100 grams of Flour ( I only used 4 Eggs )

30 grams of water / 30 ml... ADD the paste to the water and then to your mixture.

Make your dough.

Guts

Here is the Garlic Pasta w/butter and parsley flakes.

Peeps I think the Hot Pepper past would work fine, I got this Idea from a friend of mine I was talking to yesterday and has had some
Hot Pepper Pasta and suggested I try making some.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well Guts, you're just a pasta makin' machine! I've never made homemade noodles. I've been meaning to try it just never have but seeing all of these wonderful pictures makes me want to. I'll have to get some semolina flour next time I go to the store.

Guts

Thanks Mama It's easy to make, but I wouldn't want to hand roll or cut the pasta. Hopefully you have a machine roller or a attachment for your mixer.