Site Supporter
Peep's Beef and Mushroom Rice/Roni

Makes 4 nice servings

3/4 c White rice
1/3 c Angel hair pasta - broken into small pieces
1/2 Stick Butter
1 small onion chopped small
14 oz Beef broth
13 oz can mushroom pieces and stems (do not drain)
1/4 tsp ground dried porcini mushrooms (ground to powder before measuring)
Ground black pepper

Melt butter in pan. Add the rice and pasta and cook till it smells nutty and slightly brown. Add onion and sauté till onion is soft and rice/pasta is nicely brown. Add all other ingredients including the mushroom liquid. Stir well and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook 20 minutes stirring occasionally until tender and fully cooked. Add more broth if needed during cooking .

beef_mushroom_rice_roni_010510_P1050083.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great idea, Peep! That is a luscious-looking dinner!

Lee

homecook

Nice recipe!

So I imagine if you switch out the beef broth for chicken broth you can make Chicken Rice/Roni?? Maybe leave out the porcini powder? I would use fresh mushrooms too.

chowhound

I know I'll be trying this in chicken flavor. Maybe add some poultry seasoning, too. I used to eat Rice a Roni by the box. I never realized (until now) that the long pieces were simply pasta pieces.

homecook

I know I'll be trying this in chicken flavor. Maybe add some poultry seasoning, too. I used to eat Rice a Roni by the box. I never realized (until now) that the long pieces were simply pasta pieces.

You need to get out more Fred. :yum:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Nice recipe!

So I imagine if you switch out the beef broth for chicken broth you can make Chicken Rice/Roni?? Maybe leave out the porcini powder? I would use fresh mushrooms too.
thank you. i usually use fresh mushrooms but my daughter didn't tell me she used the last of the fresh. yes i make it chicken, beef or veggie and add different things to suit the rest of the meal. sometimes i also add cheese or veggies to the rice.

vyapti

I made this tonight and was very pleased. For a first time, chopping the pasta was a bit messy. I ended up blocking in an area of the counter with cookbooks and chopped the pasta on an adjacent cutting board. The pieces flew into my makeshift corral. This worked pretty well and, in the future, I'll chop up a pound at a time and and save it. I used chicken flavored broth (1 cup) and no mushrooms (kids, sigh) and it was a tad dry. Next time, I'll add, maybe a quarter cup more.

All in all, it was great. I may never buy another box again. Thanks for post.

3938808095_f960c7c94a.jpg

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
thank you again and i am glad you liked it!!

teehee don't chop the pasta. next time just take a small bunch at a time in your hand and break it into pieces. i think the reason it was dry is because you only used 1 cup broth. 1 cup is only 8 oz and the recipe called for 14 oz of broth. also you didn't use the can of mushrooms AND the liquid (the liquid probably comes to about a 1/4 cup). when i don't use the mushrooms i have to add more liquid which is usually broth and/or wine. i put at bottom of recipe more broth if needed maybe i should have put that next to the broth in the ingredient list. sorry about that.

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

teehee don't chop the pasta. next time just take a small bunch at a time in your hand and break it into pieces. i think the reason it was dry is because you only used 1 cup broth. 1 cup is only 8 oz and the recipe called for 14 oz of broth. also you didn't use the can of mushrooms AND the liquid (the liquid probably comes to about a 1/4 cup). when i don't use the mushrooms i have to add more liquid which is usually broth and/or wine. i put at bottom of recipe more broth if needed maybe i should have put that next to the broth in the ingredient list. sorry about that.

EXACTLY what I was thinking. It had to be a real pain chopping that dry pasta! Wow! My hat is off to you vyapti for persevering!!! That is dedication! Awesome!

vyapti

Wow, why didn't I catch that. Now I'm amazed it wasn't dryer. OK, it'll be better next time.

EXACTLY what I was thinking. It had to be a real pain chopping that dry pasta! Wow! My hat is off to you vyapti for persevering!!! That is dedication! Awesome!

I think I'm just anal enough to have to chop them. Otherwise, I'd have to measure all the individual pieces and sort out those that exceed a reasonable variance.