Supernatural Brownies: TNT

FryBoy

At PieSusan's recommendation, today I made a batch of Supernatural Brownies. Super!

This is a recipe that appeared in the New York Times on April 11, 2007, and has been widely repeated in many Internet forums -- so why not here?

The recipe accompanied an interesting article on chocolate in the Times' Dining & Wine Section, Simple Pleasures American Style.

Here's the link to the recipe: Supernatural Brownies

A couple of notes:

1. I used pecans, not walnuts, because I had them on hand, and I increased the quantity from ½ cup to a full cup because I like nuts and ½ cup in a 9 X 13 pan is just too little.

2. I used plain old Baker's Semisweet Chocolate because the market was out of Baker's Bittersweet Chocolate and I didn't feel that it would be worth it to spend nearly $10 on one of the fancy brands. IMHO, the quality gets lost in the mix, although perhaps side-by-side one might notice a tiny difference. Also, most authorities say you can substitute semisweet for bittersweet, and vice versa; the difference is that the semisweet is a tad sweeter and a bit less chocolate-y than the bittersweet, but the differences are minimal.

3. I used good old C & H Dark Brown Sugar. What the heck is muscovado anyway? I really doubt the difference is noticeable and hardly enough to justify the increased cost. Maybe side-by-side....

4. I cut them into 32 bars, which are still quite large; 24 is way too big, IMHO, nearly 5 square inches each -- 36 or even 48 would be reasonable.

Anyway, the results are superb:

Attachments

• Brownies, Supernatural, 2010-03-06 #1.jpg
    Brownies, Supernatural, 2010-03-06 #1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Actually, it looks like yours are a tad overbaked. These are really fudgy. Further, there is a huge difference when a good quality bittersweet chocolate is used. As for the difference in nuts--that is a personal preference. I usually cut these quite small because they are so dense and rich.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Thanks for the link FryBoy. Those look great. And I have both muscavado sugar and bittersweet chocolate in my cupboard, so I'll try it their way. Care to trade brownies so we can compare to see if it really makes a difference???:whistle:

FryBoy

Actually, it looks like yours are a tad overbaked. These are really fudgy. Further, there is a huge difference when a good quality bittersweet chocolate is used. As for the difference in nuts--that is a personal preference. I usually cut these quite small because they are so dense and rich.
My, how typical of you, PieSusan! You always find something to dump on, but then you are the Queen of All Things Baked. These most certainly are NOT overbaked. I baked them for 40 minutes, as suggested in the recipe, and my over is very well calibrated. Moreover, as noted in the article, although many recipes (and would-be Queens of Baking, apparently) recommend deliberate underbaking "for a fudgy texture, ...fudgy and wet are not the same thing."

Query: Do you every have anything nice to say?

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
You're killing me here, Doug!!!! Now I need brownies. Those look totally amazing.

I'm going to Dougs. Want a ride?

I can be at your place in a couple of days, only 1,400 miles or so then another few days for the 2,200 miles to Dougs place. Doug, can you bake a fresh batch for us about Friday or so? :yum::yum::yum:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
1. I used pecans, not walnuts, because I had them on hand, and I increased the quantity from ½ cup to a full cup because I like nuts and ½ cup in a 9 X 13 pan is just too little.

I was born and raised in Texas. We put pecans in EVERYTHING. Didn't even have to buy them. We had a couple of trees in the back yard and there were 50 or 60 on my Granddad's place in the country.

Another thing, I had no idea that anyone made barbecue with anything but beef brisket (or sometimes chicken) until I was in college and ran into some made with pork!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I'm 2600 miles, so ya'll have to wait for me to catch up. We can make it in 4-5 days if we push it.

Can you go that long without any sleep Doug?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Those look wonderful Doug! Now I'm gonna have to go bake some brownies too! Oooohhhh...maybe some blondies!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
This is a frequent question from folks who don't live in the US. In the US, butter is usually packaged in 'sticks' wrapped in waxed paper, then 4 sticks are boxed together in a 1-pound box.

Therefore 1 stick = 1/4 pound = 1/2 cup = 4 ounces.

FryBoy

No, no, no, Buzz -- this recipe has a half pound of butter, two sticks. Health food it ain't! :pig: :pig:

You can cut the recipe in half and bake in an 8" x 8" pan.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
No, no, no, Buzz -- this recipe has a half pound of butter, two sticks. Health food it ain't! :pig: :pig:

You can cut the recipe in half and bake in an 8" x 8" pan.

I didn't make myself clear. I'm only going to eat half of the finished product and leave the rest for everyone else. :yum:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
FB, you are constantly peppering me with questions about specific recipes that I post. Usually, your questions are about minutiae and could easily be googled but I answer you anyway. This time, I offered my opinion before you solicited it. The first time I had these brownies were in a class where Nick Malgieri baked them himself. It is why I noted they looked a bit overdone. I did not say that they would taste bad but they would be a lot sweeter when made with semisweet chocolate.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
btw, I was given the name "Queen of All Things Baked" by a friend on another foodie board because I answered so many baking questions and shared so many recipes. My goal has always been to teach people not to be intimidated by baking and have been told that I have done so successfully--especially with pie.

FryBoy

According to David Lebovitz's site, the following is Nick Malgieri's original recipe for Supernatural Brownies as published in his 1998 cookbook, [ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060187115/davidleboviswebs"]Chocolate: From Simple Cookies to Extravagant Showstoppers[/ame]:

Supernatural Brownies

2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter
8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate [note: the Times specifies bittersweet, I used semisweet], cut into 1/4-inch pieces
4 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar [nothing about muscovado, which the Times recommends; I used good old C&H]
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
One 13x9x2-inch pan, buttered and lined with buttered parchment or foil

1. Set the rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.

2. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and turn off heat. Combine butter and chocolate in a heat proof bowl and set over pan of water. Stir occasionally until melted.

3. Whisk eggs together in a large bowl, then whisk in the salt, sugars, and vanilla. Stir in the chocolate and butter mixture, then fold in the flour.

4. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for about 45 minutes [note: the Times says 35 to 40 minutes -- I found 40 minutes to be about right], until top has formed a shiny crust and batter is moderately firm [note: the Times says surface should begin to crack, too]. Cool in pan on a rack. Wrap pan in plastic wrap and keep at room temperature or refrigerated until the next day.

5. To cut brownies, unmold onto a cutting board, remove paper, and replace with another cutting board. Turn cake right side up and trim away edges. Cut brownies into 2-inch squares.

He doesn't list nuts among the ingredients, but brownies without nuts is just plain nuts, IMHO. The New York Times added ½ cup, I added a full cup, and I think the recipe could handle even more. Either pecans or walnuts are good choices for brownies. I wonder how macadamia nuts or cashews would work?

Last edited:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
He doesn't list nuts among the ingredients, but brownies without nuts is just plain nuts, IMHO. The New York Times added ½ cup, I added a full cup, and I think the recipe could handle even more. Either pecans or walnuts are good choices for brownies. I wonder how macadamia nuts or cashews would work?

I just looked back at your picture and I agree about the nuts more would be better

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Actually according to the handout that Nick gave me when I took his class when his Chocolate Cookbook came out, he included an optional two cups of nuts (1/2 pound) walnuts or pecans to the batter--but let's not confuse the facts with what you believe FB. Anyone can go to page 136 of Nick Malgieri's cookbook, "Chocolate: From Simple Cookies to Extravagant Showstoppers". Nick is one of my facebook friends as is David Lebovitz. Anyone here who is my fb friend can verify that by checking my friends' list. They are both good friends of Maida Heatter. In fact, it is through Nick that I get my latest Maida Heatter updates.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oh, for goodness sake...is this really an argument over a brownie recipe? If you like nuts in your brownies, put nuts in your brownies...if you don't like nuts in your brownies, don't put nuts in your brownies...if you like your brownies wet, don't cook them as long...if you like them a little more done on the inside, cook them a little longer. Recipes are made to be altered to each persons taste...just enjoy the brownies....geez...