Stew

Galvatron

Now when i make a stew i just get a load of fresh veg(mostly carrots leek and onion maybe swede) sling it in a pot with chunks of Beef add stock and let it simmer for well as long as i can....little salt little pepper.

if and what am i doing wrong (as it tastes damn good every time)and what would you do different??

may i add i do serve with mash potatoes .....and not forgetting mushrooms fried in butter.

FryBoy

Brown the meat first. It adds a ton of flavor. Then saute the veggies a bit, especially the onions and carrots. I'd also add a few peeled cloves of fresh garlic and probably substitute some red wine for some of the stock. Maybe some herbs (marjoram, thyme, Italian parsley). Definitely mushrooms.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, Galvatron, if it tastes good the way you make it, you don't need to change a thing.

I like all the vegs you put in your beef stew. Do you pour it over your mashed potatoes?

There are many different kinds of stews. Have you tried others?

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I used to make stew the same way, but I've learned a couple tricks over the years that I'll share with you.

1. I season my stew meat with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder, toss the meat in all purpose flour, then sear it in a medium-hot pot with a little vegetable oil. I drain and then set the meat aside.

2. I then saute all the veggies in a little oil until the onions are translucent, which pulls some additional flavor from the aromatic veggies, while scraping the pan to pick up the remnants from the searing.

Combine the meat with the veggies, add some water, and slow cook like you described. Give this a try the next time you make stew, and see if you notice a difference.

Galvatron

Thanks guys this is what im thinking...i read so much on how you should brown the meat (quick and light) on the out side first but i was curious does it matter...early posts show it does so im gonna try...and yes im gonna try my veg different too for research purpose.

I will save the debate on Dumplings for a later date.

:respect:

chowhound

I do pretty much what Joe describes except I put the seasoning in the flour, then coat the meat, and I leave the meat in the pot when I add the veggies, so I guess technically I might be sweating the veggies rather than sauteing them. I also use EVOO and leave it in. And I don't use any water, I use beef stock plus a couple bay leaves for my "green" seasoning.

CharlieD

;)If it tastes damn you are doing everything right. Keep doing whatcha doing and don't ask damn questions.:wink:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I also add potatoes to my stew so it becomes a one-pot meal.

There's no debate on dumplings....they are delicious. You can either cook them in the same pot at the end, or drop them in boiling water and coat them with a little butter ot EVOO when done so they don't stick together. Starch is starch...you can even use gnocchi's for your starch, but it takes a bit more work.

FryBoy

Thanks guys this is what im thinking...i read so much on how you should brown the meat (quick and light) on the out side first but i was curious does it matter...early posts show it does so im gonna try...and yes im gonna try my veg different too for research purpose.

I will save the debate on Dumplings for a later date.

:respect:
I brown the beef chunks quite well, 3 or 4 minutes on each side over a moderately high flame. For maximum flavor, the meat should be a rich, dark brown, not just tan or gray, and definitely not blackened. The difference in the flavor of the meat is like a grilled steak versus boiled beef.

chowhound

Definitely potatoes. I do more than quarter them, but they're larger than cubed. I add them right in when I add the liquid. I know some recipes call for them to be added towards the end.