Another Fire

Leni

Well we have another one. It started a few days ago near Santa Barbara which is north of me. It's burning in an area that hasn't burned in 70 years. 4,000 acres as of yesterday. The big problem is drought, 'dangerously' high temperatures starting today, and winds that are called Sundowners. It may go as high as 120 in some places. Sundowners are off shore winds that start up as the sun goes now. It's going to be very hard on the firemen.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Scary for sure. The extreme heat in the south west is unreal. 119 degrees. Even in dry heat I suspect that is a tad uncomfortable. Best wishes to all those firemen who will be on the front line in the battle with the fires. Tough stuff.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Geez, Leni, is it just me, or do the out-of-control fires seem to be increasing in number and severity every year?

Lee

Leni

I remember getting on top of the roof and seeing the Valley almost completely surrounded by fire. That was the year that three fires came together and burned everything from there to the sea.

To answer your question I'm not sure but my instinct says that not much has changed. The drought is making the fires harder to put out because everything is so dry.

Leni

I have a T shirt that shows the four seasons in SoCal. Smog, Flood Fire, and Earthquake. It doesn't fit me anymore but I've kept it anyhow.