North Carolina BBQ Sauce

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here’s my rendition of a North Carolina BBQ sauce. Down south, we use a thick and gooey sauce, but up North, they use a thinner vinegar based sauce….and it is awesome on pulled pork!

North Carolina BBQ Sauce

2 cups apple cider vinegar (white will work also)
1/4 to 1/2 cup ketchup
1 - 3 tblsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper or hot sauce to flavor

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I like the thick and gooey sauces myself. We had KC BBQ while we were out there a couple of years ago and it was too vinegary for us.
Of course, I grew up on Cookies BBQ Sauce in Iowa. Thick and sweet, loved it!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Here’s my rendition of a North Carolina BBQ sauce. Down south, we use a thick and gooey sauce, but up North, they use a thinner vinegar based sauce….and it is awesome on pulled pork!

North Carolina BBQ Sauce

2 cups apple cider vinegar (white will work also)
1/4 to 1/2 cup ketchup
1 - 3 tblsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper or hot sauce to flavor

sounds similar to the one i use

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
sounds similar to the one i use

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Interesting. What color is it? Seems it would be brown since the vinegar is the biggest component and no tomato to turn it red?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Interesting. What color is it? Seems it would be brown since the vinegar is the biggest component and no tomato to turn it red?

with the pepper flakes and tony's it actually comes out a pink color..you cook it for a little while to intensify the heat

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes NC BBQ is all about vinegar which I can't seem to enjoy like others do.

GotGarlic

I didn't like it when we first moved here, and putting cole slaw on top of the pulled pork seemed bizarre, but now I love it :smile: I'm a big-time vinegaraholic :wink:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I like vinegar also but like Rob said not the dominate taste in my food.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i use mine as an enhancer/finishing sauce... once the pork is pulled, i add maybe a half cup to a 9lb butt...keeps it moist but not overpowering in the vinegar department

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Someone should run a poll to see who like Sweet-n-Thick and who likes Vinegary-n-Thin. I have shiny nickle that says more like the sweet than the sour.

Same kind of thing with coleslaw...sweet or sour. I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with sour coleslaw, but I know there are people out there with dysfunctional taste buds who actually enjoy it. :yuk::yuk::shock::twak:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Someone should run a poll to see who like Sweet-n-Thick and who likes Vinegary-n-Thin. I have shiny nickle that says more like the sweet than the sour.

Same kind of thing with coleslaw...sweet or sour. I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with sour coleslaw, but I know there are people out there with dysfunctional taste buds who actually enjoy it. :yuk::yuk::shock::twak:

MY GOD!!! I've never heard that saying before!! That's damn funny! :yum::yum::yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:

GotGarlic

I like to soak sliced cucumbers in distilled white vinegar for several hours and then eat it as a side dish or snack :lol: Sometimes I add sugar, salt and cayenne pepper. I have distilled white, red wine, white wine, champagne, tarragon, rice and strawberry balsamic vinegars in my pantry. I'm ready for any tangy cuisine at any time! :smile: Luv the stuff. I could write an ode to vinegar.

I love a tomatoey bbq sauce, too, but usually it's too sweet for me and I give it some zip with a tsp or two of red wine vinegar.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I like to soak sliced cucumbers in distilled white vinegar for several hours and then eat it as a side dish or snack :lol: Sometimes I add sugar, salt and cayenne pepper. I have distilled white, red wine, white wine, champagne, tarragon, rice and strawberry balsamic vinegars in my pantry. I'm ready for any tangy cuisine at any time! :smile: Luv the stuff. I could write an ode to vinegar.

I love a tomatoey bbq sauce, too, but usually it's too sweet for me and I give it some zip with a tsp or two of red wine vinegar.

we have been eating cukes the same way for years...i love them that way...besides pickling them, thats the only way i can eat cukes without getting indigestion...burp..lol

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
MY GOD!!! I've never heard that saying before!! That's damn funny! :yum::yum::yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:
That's a Yankee saying, which is why you never heard it. You ever been outa the South, boy? There's another whole world just to the North of y'all, and it ain't all grits n cornbread.:yum::yum:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That's a Yankee saying, which is why you never heard it. You ever been outa the South, boy? There's another whole world just to the North of y'all, and it ain't all grits n cornbread.:yum::yum:

LMAO!!! :yum:

Nope. Only been as far North as Lexington Kentucky. I need to get out more!!! :lol:

If I make it your way, I'll bring you some grits and cornbread though! We'll barter for your homemade bread! :yum:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
LMAO!!! :yum:

Nope. Only been as far North as Lexington Kentucky. I need to get out more!!! :lol:

If I make it your way, I'll bring you some grits and cornbread though! We'll barter for your homemade bread! :yum:

come on up and i will introduce you to real beer and poutine..lol