One pot chicken and couscous

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Found this recipe in a magazine, and since I love everything in it, it sounded great. http://www.wholeliving.com/130678/chicken-and-israeli-couscous-tomato-and-lemon

But, even though I added my fresh herbs of parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, it was just "eh".

I must say that the lemon peels and my butter-fried sage leaves made the dish.

Lee

Chicken and Israeli Couscous with Tomato and Lemon

This quick-cooking, one-pan supper shaves precious minutes off prep time simply by substituting couscous for more familiar rice.
Martha Stewart Living, Januaryhttp://www.marthastewart.com/130678/chicken-and-israeli-couscous-tomato-and-lemon

Rated75100(5)5

• Yield Serves 4
Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1 cup Israeli couscous
    • 1 1/2 pounds skinless chicken thighs (4 to 6 thighs)
    • 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
    • 4 Roma or plum tomatoes (about 1 pound), cut lengthwise into 6 slices
    • 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 tablespoon)
    • 4 strips lemon peel (2 inches each)
    • Pinch of saffron
    • 1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
    • 1 1/2 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
    • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
    • 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
    • 1 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
Directions

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add couscous, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl, and return skillet to heat.
  2. Cook chicken, smooth side down, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip, and cook for 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate, reserving drippings in skillet.
  3. Reduce heat to medium, add onion, and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, garlic, lemon peel, and saffron, and cook, stirring frequently, until tomatoes begin to break down, 2 to 3 minutes.
  4. Return chicken to skillet. Add wine, and cook for 4 minutes. Add stock, salt, and couscous, and stir. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until couscous is tender and chicken is cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes. Stir in peas, and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve immediately with lemon.

Attachments

• Chicken and couscous.JPG
    Chicken and couscous.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 115

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
By the way, I first reached for "Herb and Chicken" flavored couscous in the store and checked the sodium - 530 mg.

Then I looked at the box labeled "Original" - 5 mg of sodium!!!

Lee

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Found this recipe in a magazine, and since I love everything in it, it sounded great. http://www.wholeliving.com/130678/chicken-and-israeli-couscous-tomato-and-lemon

But, even though I added my fresh herbs of parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, it was just "eh".

I must say that the lemon peels and my butter-fried sage leaves made the dish.

Lee

Chicken and Israeli Couscous with Tomato and Lemon

This quick-cooking, one-pan supper shaves precious minutes off prep time simply by substituting couscous for more familiar rice.
Martha Stewart Living, Januaryhttp://www.marthastewart.com/130678/chicken-and-israeli-couscous-tomato-and-lemon

Rated75100(5)5

• Yield Serves 4
Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1 cup Israeli couscous
    • 1 1/2 pounds skinless chicken thighs (4 to 6 thighs)
    • 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
    • 4 Roma or plum tomatoes (about 1 pound), cut lengthwise into 6 slices
    • 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 tablespoon)
    • 4 strips lemon peel (2 inches each)
    • Pinch of saffron
    • 1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
    • 1 1/2 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
    • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
    • 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
    • 1 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
Directions

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add couscous, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl, and return skillet to heat.
  2. Cook chicken, smooth side down, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip, and cook for 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate, reserving drippings in skillet.
  3. Reduce heat to medium, add onion, and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, garlic, lemon peel, and saffron, and cook, stirring frequently, until tomatoes begin to break down, 2 to 3 minutes.
  4. Return chicken to skillet. Add wine, and cook for 4 minutes. Add stock, salt, and couscous, and stir. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until couscous is tender and chicken is cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes. Stir in peas, and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve immediately with lemon.

WOW! That looks exceptionally good.