Pickled Eggs

homecook

We have always made "pickled" eggs with beet juice. We always called them red beet eggs though. Here is the recipe we used:

2 cans of beet juice (approx 1/2 qt)
1/4-1/2 c vinegar (depends on how tart you want it)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c sugar

Mix together and boil in saucepan until sugar is dissolved. Cool and pour over peeled hard boiled eggs. Keep in fridge in a container with a tight lid several days and occasionally shake container to rotate the eggs and make them evenly red.

We always made these around Easter and also mixed grated horseradish with the drained beets that had been ground up. This was served with ham on Easter day.

Barb

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Man Barb.... you are bringing back some very old memories!!! I never liked this stuff, but my mom adored it. Mom always had a batch 'brewing'. I can't even tell you why I don't like them, because I really don't remember trying them. But my mom could 'throw down' on these things!!!

Thanks for the fond memories Barb!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
About how many eggs will this cover? Great though I love pickled eggs.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hi Barb - Thank You - My mom used to make these just after easter. We used the easter egge, as she always made som many that we couldn't't eat them. It brings back some wonderful memories.

Now If I could only find my Aunt virginia's German Potato salid recipe that thw took with heer when she passed.

homecook

Man Barb.... you are bringing back some very old memories!!! I never liked this stuff, but my mom adored it. Mom always had a batch 'brewing'. I can't even tell you why I don't like them, because I really don't remember trying them. But my mom could 'throw down' on these things!!!

Thanks for the fond memories Barb!

I'm glad they're good memories!! My paternal grandmother used to make these all the time. It reminds me of my dad! He used to love, love them.

Barb

chowhound

Can you reuse the pickling juice?
What kind of vinegar do you use?

My hens are back to laying pretty good again and I love pickled eggs. This couldn't have come at a better time.

homecook

Can you reuse the pickling juice?
What kind of vinegar do you use?

My hens are back to laying pretty good again and I love pickled eggs. This couldn't have come at a better time.

I've reused the pickling juice with the leftover Easter eggs. You may have to add a little more vinegar. I just use regular white vinegar.

Barb

chowhound

8-10 sounds about right. I know that if I hard cook a dozen eggs, 8-10 is all I'll have left to pickle after they cool some :lol:

White vinegar. Gotcha. Thanks

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I made this today using your recipe almost exactly. I had room in the bottle for a full dozen eggs as well as the beets which where sliced. I also use even amounts of Apple Cider vinegar and white vinegar as I like it tart but used a 1/4 cup of each. Next Saturday I'll let you know how they taste. I actually got a dozen perfectly pealed hard boiled eggs and after boiling let them sit in an ice bath to stop the sulfur from forming around the yokes.

buckytom

Grill Master
oh man, homey, i love beet juice pickled eggs, and grated horseradish-n-beets.

it wouldn't be easter without them. you really are of polish descent, aren't you. :thumb:

chowhound

I've got the cans of beets waiting on the counter, just waiting on my next trip into wally world to pick up a decent, dedicated container for the eggs.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I've got the cans of beets waiting on the counter, just waiting on my next trip into wally world to pick up a decent, dedicated container for the eggs.

My Mama used to use a old glass 1 gallon pickle jar. It's actually cheaper to buy a gallon of pickles and reuse the jar then it is to buy a jar. I can't imagine pickled eggs in anything else.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm actually using a 1 gallon pickle jar myself. I have a couple that we have gotten with pickles over the years and I always have one filled with Kim Chee until it gets low then I make another before that last batch is completely gone. I now am using my extra one for this.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I have about 25 that I have saved over the years. I use them to store my dried beans, flour, and meal in.

chowhound

It takes me a few years to eat a small jar of pickles (lol).

I was thinking about containers and the only problem I would have with a gallon container is where to put it, unless it's on its side. My fridge's shelving arragement (among other things) sucks. I'm going to try to find a short and squat container.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have about 25 that I have saved over the years. I use them to store my dried beans, flour, and meal in.

I have lock top containers for flour, beans, pasta and rice but would love to have a couple more of the gallon pickle jars. I also a case of Bell Jars for pickling in both pints and quarts. I use the quart ones for my tomato sauce and the smaller ones for other things I might make that I can save for a while.

If it wasn't for my grand kids I wouldn't have a single large jar but my wife buys pickles by the gallon due to them. :D

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
When your grand kids get sick of the pickles, do what I did. I set them up in business with a neighborhood pickle stand. I bought the huge jars of moby dills and they sold them to the neighbor kids for 75 cents each. They got some spending money and a lesson in business and I got some extra jars! :lol:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Mama are you kidding my grand kids are locust when it comes to food. I often wonder where they put it all. I couldn't afford for them to come by more than once every couple of weeks. ;)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Better you than me that is for sure. Shhh I don't like pickles much and hate my wife to eat them, pickle breath god it is worse than garlic. :whistling:

homecook

I made this today using your recipe almost exactly. I had room in the bottle for a full dozen eggs as well as the beets which where sliced. I also use even amounts of Apple Cider vinegar and white vinegar as I like it tart but used a 1/4 cup of each. Next Saturday I'll let you know how they taste. I actually got a dozen perfectly pealed hard boiled eggs and after boiling let them sit in an ice bath to stop the sulfur from forming around the yokes.

Good to hear! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

Barb

buckytom

Grill Master
When your grand kids get sick of the pickles, do what I did. I set them up in business with a neighborhood pickle stand. I bought the huge jars of moby dills and they sold them to the neighbor kids for 75 cents each. They got some spending money and a lesson in business and I got some extra jars! :lol:

from the ap newswire, this just in:

seeing how successful the pickle business was, mama continued her efforts into child labor and expanded into macaroni art galleries, and a somewhat shadier concern in the popsicle stick construction industry. it's estimated that mama now runs at least 3 sweatshops across the southern united states.

now back to your regularly scheduled program, already in progress.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
from the ap newswire, this just in:

seeing how successful the pickle business was, mama continued her efforts into child labor and expanded into macaroni art galleries, and a somewhat shadier concern in the popsicle stick construction industry. it's estimated that mama now runs at least 3 sweatshops across the southern united states.

now back to your regularly scheduled program, already in progress.

:yum: Am I going to be interviewed by Katie Couric?

Constance

Did I mention that I have over 25 gallon pickle jars? :lol:

Never throw them away! Those jars are great for so many things.

My 11 yr. old loves the baby dills, and since he has type I diabetes, that's one of the few things that he can snack on all he wants. I'll have to try him out on the bigger ones.