Mediterranean meat pie

Deelady

Meat Pie
can be served as an appetizer or main dish. Serve with yogurt or cucumber and tomato salad.

Recipe
dough - see recipe
1 lb. ground beef
1/4 lb. ground lamb
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. seven spices
1 tbs. salt
1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup finely chopped onion

Mix above ingredients for meat spread and use to spread about ½ cup of mixture on flat dough about 1/8 inch thick to make flat meat pies. Place on baking sheet in some corn flour to keep from sticking. Preheat oven to 350. Cook 15-17 mins until dough is crispy and meat is browned. Serve with yogurt.
Dough Recipe
This is a great dough recipe that can be used to make flat pizza style dishes or can be used to make spinach pies and meat pies. It is a very easy and versatile dough. It can also be frozen in a plastic bag for later use.

1 packet dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar
2 tbs. olive oil
3 cups flour

Combine yeast, water and sugar and let sit for ten minutes, add olive oil. Slowly add flour, half cup at a time until all combined, add a tsp of water if needed to combine dough. Kneed until smooth, place in bowl with olive oil. Cover with plastic and a towel and place in a warm spot. Let it rise for an hour. Separate into size you need ( small golf size balls for meat pies or spinach pies) let rise again for 10 mins.

lilylove

Yummy Dee.

I do mine with all lamb and pinenuts. Leave out the 7 spices and add bunches of garlic.

Deelady

Yummy Dee.

I do mine with all lamb and pinenuts. Leave out the 7 spices and add bunches of garlic.

Knowing you I guess that would be more of a Greek version! :) I love pine nuts in them as well! All you would have to do is change 1 or 2 ingredients here and there and you would be taking a trip around the world, everyone one has their own version of it in different countries. This version is more of a Lebanese kind. I also have the recipe for the spinach one (Fatayer) if anyone is interested ? :D

Deelady

Here you go :D

Spinach Pies (Fatayer)
Recipe
dough - see recipe above
8 cups baby spinach
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup chopped tomato
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp citric acid
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp sumac
1/2 cup corn meal
flour to roll out dough
olive oil spray or brush to finish pies

Combine the 8 cups of washed spinach with 1/2 tsp salt and let sit for 15 minutes, if using baby spinach do not chop, if using regular spinach then chop up first. Drain and squeeze out water from spinach and place in a bowl. Add next seven ingredients to spinach and combine. Roll out dough balls to 1/16 inch thickness and 6 inches in diameter, place 1 to 2 tbs of spinach mixture in middle and close dough like a triangle. Sprinkle corn meal on baking sheet and place triangles on sheet. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees, place pies in oven and cook for 8 minutes, then take them out and spray or brush them with olive oil, place back in oven for another 8 minutes. Serve warm or cold.

Deelady

They are all in my files :) I'm a huge middle eastern food fan!! I have many many TNT!! My best friend is Arabic so I grew up with these ;)
Let me know if you have any requests :D

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I am a huge Middle Eastern food fan as well! I know what you mean about the variations. Nothing better than eating at a friends' house and getting authentic food! Thanks for sharing, Dee. I have sumac from Israel that was a gift.

lilylove

oh I'm glad someone bumped this up to the top again!!!

Meat pies are so good!! You should all make them!

lilylove

They are not easy!! But so worth the effort! I guess we could make ONE giant one!

That woudl be easier!!!

lilylove

see the announcement at the top of this page Dee. It will explain everything! Doc is trying to fix things up around here.