Net Cooking Talk

Go Back   Net Cooking Talk > Cooking Talk Forums > Herbs and Spices Forum

Old 02-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Entree Cook

chocolate moose is on a distinguished road
Default I'm having a Pepper Emergency !

I used to order my peppercorns and vanilla from Watkins when I had a friend who was their representative. She has since retired and I started getting my vanilla at Whole Foods since it was about the same price and it was pure vanilla and I figured it must be good. I don't bake that much anymore so that's not so much the issue as ...

Last night I took out the pepper grinder and saw it only had a few peppercorns left; that will last me hardly any time at all!

So - the title speaks for itself. I need to buy pepper and I'm not sure where to buy it!

I have enjoyed the multi colored peppercorns and the plain black. I'm not such a pepper snob - as long as it's fresh, I'm happy.

I'm anyway going to Whole Foods today to get DD her weekly allowment of brussel sprouts; does anyone think I should get my pepper there, at least for the short term?

I'm embarrased to say that I don't know how to bring it home either; I brought an empty prescription bottle to put the peppercorns in, just in case.

I could buy online but I live in NYC: I'm loathe to buy food and pay for shipping.

Anyone ?
Old 02-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Restaurant Chef

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,350 Posts
lilbopeep will become famous soon enoughlilbopeep will become famous soon enough
Style: Gonzo
Default Re: I'm having a Pepper Emergency !

I bought my 4 peppercorn blend from here My Spice Sage I got 2 free 1 oz samples. I was very happy with the product. Free USA shipping. I think they always give you a 1 oz free gift with every order. I just looked and one of the freebies is a 4 oz bag of applewood smoked salt with an order of $20.00+. The free sample change. So if you order now you can get salt and pepper. LOL Hope this helps.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Never explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it anyway.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Grill Master

Thanked 3,430 Times in 2,214 Posts
QSis will become famous soon enough

I would vote to get the peppercorns at Whole Foods. If they sell them in bulk, they will provide small bags for you to scoop in just the amounts you need.

Lee
Old 02-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Entree Cook

Thank you both for responding.

I will, at least, look at the WF pepper since I'm going there during lunch today. I hope it will be fresh.

And I had a peek at that website; I typed in pepper and immediately got a ton of different items; you can even buy pepper in a 50 lb sack !!! I might do that when I have time to wait for something to be shipped.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Restaurant Chef

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,350 Posts
lilbopeep will become famous soon enoughlilbopeep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate moose View Post
Thank you both for responding.

I will, at least, look at the WF pepper since I'm going there during lunch today. I hope it will be fresh.

And I had a peek at that website; I typed in pepper and immediately got a ton of different items; you can even buy pepper in a 50 lb sack !!! I might do that when I have time to wait for something to be shipped.
I think they are located in brooklyn, NY. I am in jersey and got my order in several days. I ordered late on friday and got mine begining of the week like tuesday.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Never explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it anyway.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Entree Cook

They're in the Bronx and probably in the industrial part. It won't be worth it to go there.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Banned

BreezyCooking is on a distinguished road

I'd just buy a small amount from Whole Foods & taste it first. Far too many stores these days - even popular ones - end up with stale product in their bulk bins.

I use black Tellicherry Peppercorns like a drug, & find CostCo's own Kirkland brand both reasonably-priced, as well as perfectly spicy & fresh. Another good source? "Penzey's" http://www.penzeys.com/.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Entree Cook

Well!

There are no bulk bins. There are several different brands, with many many varieties of pepper - so many, that I can't remember the crazy names, colors, and ethnic origins of most of them.

Long story short, with much thought and taking jars off and putting them back onto the shelves, I got an on-sale pepper grinder for $3 with 2 oz of tri colored telicherry peppers which I am really excited about. I also got an inexpensive grinder with white peppercorns in it.

I guess I'll just wash out my regular grinder and let it air out for a while.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Restaurant Chef

joec is on a distinguished road
Style: Default VB Style

I also vote for Whole Foods for pepper. They sell as good of quality as anyone else I've seen and even sometimes cheaper.

During creation, God promised man that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world.
Then, he went and made the world round.... He has a sense of humor
Old 02-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Ni pedo

BamsBBQ is on a distinguished road

And I vote for Walmart for your Watkins vanilla. I miss those days of my grandfather selling Watkins while he was cutting gentleman's hair.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST
Old 02-02-2012, 10:44 PM
'lil Chef

luvs will become famous soon enough
Style: Default VB Style

would u mind mccormic blend- it's (honestly i'm phobic of pink pepper, it's not really pepper). you'll get thru! i use other brands besides my williams-sonoma. i keep pharmacy generics for $0.99 fer these situations. i'm addicted to fresh black pepper, alessi, alleso- i ferget & i really gotta leave like now-now. i use a few of thier items. you'll get by. maybe learn a thing or 2 of how to season otherwise, too! that's a good thing. okay i hafta leavvvvve.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:01 AM

Adillo303 is on a distinguished road

Hey moose! I am in NYC daily. Coffee sometime?

I go to shoprite (Fairlawn) and get Badia spices. They have proven to ne good (for me) and better prices than others. The catch is, that they are not shelved with the other spices. They are with the ethnic foods.

My mother always told me - "You can catch more flies with sugar than you can with vinegar."
Old 04-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Saucier

High Cheese is on a distinguished road
Style: pizza

I know this is a bit old, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
Badia spices. They have proven to ne good (for me) and better prices than others. The catch is, that they are not shelved with the other spices. They are with the ethnic foods.
I try to buy Badia whenever I can. BJ's sells that brand too.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:46 AM

Adillo303 is on a distinguished road

Hey Chocolate Moose! If you are in Manhattan, this is well worth stopping at.

http://kalustyans.com/default.asp

Hi Jay - Same advice. This place is amazing.

My mother always told me - "You can catch more flies with sugar than you can with vinegar."