Breakfast Anyone?

LADawg

Breakfast back in the ‘50 in north Mississippi was a very important meal. It was extra important for those who, like many of my friends and cousins, were raised on a farm. Most were headed to the cotton or corn fields to do a long days of hard work.
There were always the hot home made biscuits along with real butter and syrup (most of the time molasses), several fried eggs, grits, and some kind of gravy. Now here is where things changed from what town or city folks ate for breakfast. The meat, or should I say meats because often there were more than one. In addition to country ham, bacon and/or sausage that was almost always served, there might be fried chicken, pork tenderloin or pork chops, or salmon patties. The gravies might be what was called red eye made if ham was served or a cream gravy (or sawmill gravy) it you had sausage of bacon. A brown gravy was made it was the pork chops, tenderloin, or salmon.
Now that’s a field hand’s breakfast!!!!:wow:

chilefarmer

Dawg, I can tell we are both from the South and about the same age.
I grew up eating the same kind of breakfast. Still do sometime. I sure miss those days. Hard work, but I still miss it all. CF

LADawg

Yep, CF, some sho 'nuff stick to your ribs breakfast. I had a cousin who had a small café in Ripley, MS and one of the things on his breakfast menu was 2 Eggs with Salmon Patties. You just can't find that just anywhere..........

Ian M.

Many years ago I was with my parents when they visited friends in Pensacola, Fla. and we went to a place called Ma Hopkins Boarding House for breakfast one morning.
The place was, as the name suggests, a boarding house/restaurant and the food was plentiful and palatial. I so well remember large platters of fried ham, bowls of potatoes and scrambled eggs, either cream gravy or tomato gravy, grits and plates stacked with hot buttered toast and/or biscuits so flaky they'd float off the table. And I was so totally impressed, as a kid, with the fact that there was real butter and a couple kinds of syrup for those biscuits. I don't eat that sort of breakfast much anymore - I got married and my wife says I have to watch my waistline. She's no fun at all!. But boy, whenever I remember that wonderful feed at Ma Hopkins my mouth waters and I think seriously about cooking up a meal like that one last time in my life. Y'all come....................

Ian

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Went to a Mennonite buffet breakfast 2 months ago. Was much the same as described and I for sure ate more than I needed. After finishing breakfast about 10am I wanted to take a nap. LOL:mrgreen:

LADawg

Great breakfast this morning: Country Ham, Love My Grits, Fried Egg and Toast…….Made some Red Eye Gravy, but forgot to serve it. Not a field had breakfast, but still good!

LOVE MY GRITS
1/2 Cup Quick Grits
2 1/2 Cups Water
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Packet Goya Ham Flavored Concentrate
1/2 Teaspoon Sweet Basil
Place Water, Salt, and Goya Ham Flavored Concentrate in a 2 quart sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Stir in Grits, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring several times. Remove form the heat and stir in the Sweet Basil. Serve hot with some Butter and a little grated Cheddar Cheese.:bb:

chilefarmer

Ian,tomato gravy was one we ate often. I haven't made any in years. Good stuff over biscuits. Thanks for the reminder. CF:)

Johnny West

Today I fried up a bait of bacon, 4 Falls City Lumberjack Sausages, mic'd 4 Morningstar Sausages, and fried up a double batch of Snoqualmie Falls pancakes topped with Canadian maple sirup. I won't need anything till dinner now.

LADawg

Today I fried up a bait of bacon, 4 Falls City Lumberjack Sausages, mic'd 4 Morningstar Sausages, and fried up a double batch of Snoqualmie Falls pancakes topped with Canadian maple sirup. I won't need anything till dinner now.

Down here dinner is at 12 noon. Later, at about 6:00 PM or maybe a little later there will be supper. Mostly left overs from dinner that are warmed up.