"Tina's Pierogi"

Embryodad

Growing up in Scranton Pa. and being within a large Ethnic Group; during the holidays especially, the Polish / Ukrainian / Russian / and Hungarians etc. there was a dish of filled dough pockets called Pierogi that was a special treat to have during the holiday period.

Besides being a bunch of Coal Crackers, LOL , the women were engrossed in making pierogi.
The funny thing, was it sort of came to head; being a competition as to who's Pierogi were the best. There was no contest, but believe me, there was a lot of snickering, like , "Hers is heavy" or "Hers are flat tasting"...and the little comments and digs, would travel through word of mouth, or with a phone call; if there was a phone in the house! ...

There were no dough mixers like KA machines to do the mixing, and there were no dough rollers like the Atlas Macaroni Maker. Everything was done with rolling pins and hand cut and pinched...

Tina was very observing as a little girl, and watched her Gram and Mom, as they labored to make those delicious dough with potato filling pillows.
What ever amount they made, was eaten that day or next day included in with the feast of other foods if $$ money and costs would allow! There were no big freezers or huge refrigerator capacity. Food was kept cold in the winter, by placing items under throw rugs and newspapers on the back porch!

When Gram or Mom made a meal that took so much time to accomplish, when dinner was done, the children would kiss Moms hands as a thank you for such an opportunity to have Mom make such a delicious dinner!

Well.... Thank God Little Tina watched and learned, and finally after she married me, she experimented for faster ways and better ways to make things, like pierogi, and make them with the ingredients and methods the Moms used.

Tina's family are made up of Hungarian and Slovakian.

The recipe below is basically the old way that Tina learned, but with the exception of rolling the dough through the pasta machine.
I help by just turning the crank on the dough machine, and that is about the extent of it! hahahaha

Tina’s Pierogi’s (Cheese & Potato Filling )

* >Makes approx. 120- 3 inch diameter pierogi< *

Start with 4 Lbs of flour on a smooth; sturdy large area surface. ( I use a marble slab ) I prefer Gold Medal all purpose Flour for these.
#1-Sprinkle 1 tsp. Salt over flour, and Add Three Large Eggs into the center (well), along with Three Heaping spoonfuls of Sour Cream. (1/2 cup )
Stir to mix together…
#1-
sup3.jpg

#2- Now the fun begins (This is the hardest and messiest part, but take it slow and start adding the flour in toward the well, and as you continue, and the dough starts drying and you’re wondering ??? “What am I doing?”…. Relax, and start adding cool water a little at the time)
#2-
10yu.jpg

#3- Take your time, and slowly add water to the dry, and incorporate it as you will now begin to develop a sticky dough, and working to a final consistency like a pie dough. ( A lot of people say, “I couldn’t be bothered mixing by hand, I would throw it in the stand KA Mixer!”) Problem is, that will work the dough too much, and cause the dough to be tough and thick and rubbery) Comparatively, like a pie dough that is over worked will not come out right.
#3-
tcjw.jpg

4i5x.jpg

When the dough is finally rounded into a large ball, I keep it covered with a large plastic bowl over top.
Take a piece to create a 4’’Inch round x ½” thick flat and working on a floured surface dust each side, and #4- I use a pasta roller machine to roll out the first roll flat on the Larger #4 setting…. Then flour the both sides, and run it through the roller again on the smaller thickness setting. (I use #2)
By then, you will have a flat of dough as shown, approx. 30” Inches long and 5 inches or so wide.
#4-
l4lt.jpg

mq2y.jpg

2aii.jpg

#5- With a baller…. I add the balls of filling leaving space between each, and then brush the one edge with water to moisten the seam when the dough is flipped over to create the pockets of filling to be then
Cut and pressed with a pastry cutter/sealer tool.
I use a 3” Inch pastry cutter that has the rippled edge to seal the dough edge. I still check and pinch the edges to be sure they are sealed tightly.
#5-
mbu2.jpg

1mvh.jpg

bcrl.jpg

#6- I Place the pierogi on a toweled surface Dusted with flour, and cover with another towel until ready to cook (boil) them.
#6-
#7- Use a large pot of water, and add salt (1 Tbs. Kosher Salt ) and adjust the boil to a SLOW Boil.
This is important; because a rapid rolling boil will aid in breaking the delicate dough, and you don’t want that!
They should be boiled in batches of 12 or so, so as not to bump each other from a crowded pot.
I boil them for around 5 or 6 minutes, and then remove them carefully with a large wide strainer tool, and immediately drop them in a large bath of ice water to cool. Leave them in the ice bath till they are cold, and harden. This will make handling easier, and prevent breaking.
#7-
yy66.jpg

#8- Remove each pierogi by hand and with the other hand oiled generously, coat each one (like a baby’s Tush with baby oil), hahaha…only use Cooking Oil!
Add them to a large pan (I use a pie / pastry taker )
You can layer them, and also use waxed paper between the layers if you are storing them for later use in the refrigerator.
They can be frozen (which I like to ) on flat cookie sheets on non stick foil….or pastry paper coated with oil, and not touching. After they are frozen solid, then they can be packaged together and kept frozen for a longer period. ( We vacuum seal them in bags and store them )…..hahaha That’s if there are any left over.
#8-
v382.jpg

Initially, I do different fillings such as lekvar (Prune) and fried (sauerkraut and onions). Etc., but generally
I just do the potato cheese filling because the kids only like them that way.

My Potato Cheese Filling:
5 Pounds Potatoes, peeled, cubed & boiled with 1 Tsp. Kosher Salt in the boiling water.
When done (fork pierced; the potato will pull off test), Drain, and then place in a large bowl.
While Hot, Add ( Cut In Chunks )…. (1)- 4oz. Stick of Salted Butter ….. (1)- 8oz. Stick of Cracker Barrel Sharp Cheddar Cheese, and (1)- 8oz. Stick of Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese.
Use a hand potato masher to blend the cheese and mash the potatoes. NOT in a stand or hand mixer.
Let Cool fully to Room Temperature for later use as a filling for the pierogi. I always make my filling the night before to make it easier on me.
*note! - The 5 LBS of potato filling will yeild approx. enough filling for around 80 to 90 pierogi, and so I always have enough dough left over from the described batch, to use for other type fillings in my pierogi; which will yield approx. a total of 140 count.

Enjoy! …. (Have Fun )
From TINA’S Kitchen and inspired from watching her Moms Cooking.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
yum, jimmy~ gotta luv pierogies. they sell homemade on my block, & they sell them @ pubs, too. i know that 1 place gets 'em via a local place. i keep mrs. t's in my freezer, usually.

my aunt gerri makes them really well. how're yinz cooked~ i boil my pierogi, then pour butter over 'em, & a dose of fresh-cracked black pepper gets sprinkled on. sometimes, if i buy them at a pub, i'll get sour cream.
i'm hungry now, jimmy!

Embryodad

yum, jimmy~ gotta luv pierogies. they sell homemade on my block, & they sell them @ pubs, too. i know that 1 place gets 'em via a local place. i keep mrs. t's in my freezer, usually.

my aunt gerri makes them really well. how're yinz cooked~ i boil my pierogi, then pour butter over 'em, & a dose of fresh-cracked black pepper gets sprinkled on. sometimes, if i buy them at a pub, i'll get sour cream.
i'm hungry now, jimmy!
I like em boiled (Which all of them made get done that way) then heated in a frying pan with gaggles of onions and butter!
Then in a dish and in the corner of the dish, a wad of sour cream to dip them in as I eat them.
The kids like them fried (to just browned lightly ). The only weird eater, is GD. She eats them with ketchup.

One Really Bad Bad thing, is "Don't Count Them before boiling them!" "That supposedly puts a curse on them, and some will bust apart in the boiling water!" LOL
Old Wives Tale! ..... I spitefully, ( haha ) count them silently, and maybe three or four will bust open. Out of 100 or so, that's not bad!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Jimmy, THANK YOU so much for the wonderful tutorial post with photos! What a terrific post!

Tina takes some neat "short cuts" that I would have loved to have introduced to my Polish aunts!

On Christmas Eve, we will be having pierogi that I bought at a Polish store in Chickopee, MA at Easter time and froze. I bought some cheese and some cabbage. I will thaw them and brown them a little in butter.

I will report on how they are.

Will be making golumpki, too, much like homecook makes hers. But that's another thread.

Lee

Embryodad

Jimmy, THANK YOU so much for the wonderful tutorial post with photos! What a terrific post!

Tina takes some neat "short cuts" that I would have loved to have introduced to my Polish aunts!

On Christmas Eve, we will be having pierogi that I bought at a Polish store in Chickopee, MA at Easter time and froze. I bought some cheese and some cabbage. I will thaw them and brown them a little in butter.

I will report on how they are.

Will be making golumpki, too, much like homecook makes hers. But that's another thread.

Lee

Thank you Lee... :mrgreen:

Tina is tackling another project today, as she is making and proofing the dough for the Nut Rolls and Poppy seed Rolls.

I will drop the bomb for her to please make pierogi for New Years Eve, but not until she gets her Gifts on Christmas Eve / Day. Then she will be in a happy mood. ( Hopefully )... And NO! I didn't get her a pierogi press / cutter!
Maybe for our anniversary! :twak:

Yeah! Golumpki are good too...but like you said, (another thread ) ...

Now, I am getting hungry thinking of them.