Boxty (Irish Potato Pancake)

chilefarmer

I have made potato cakes but never like those. They sound really good to me. I will be making those soon. Thanks for the recipe, Nice. CF

Ian M.

Lee and CF - Boxty is simply wonderful on a cold morning to have for breakfast with a rasher of bacon or some sausage - we do it at least once a week and often more than that. Delicious!! The idea I read of eating it with some jam on top is excellent, too - Fallon loves it that way and so does Kieran!

Ian

Saliha

I have made potato pancakes but not by kind of recipe. Just mixing roasted potatoes, milk, butter, egg, flour and salt.

Then baked them in butter in pancake pan.

Baking soda? I am not making a cake?

:confused:

Ian M.

Saliha - The purpose of the baking soda is that it works well with the buttermilk in the content of the pancakes. In that respect, you are, indeed, making a "cake".

When a recipe crosses the boarder between one country and another there always seems to be a slight change in effect in the recipe. Folks in one country will do things a bit differently than folks in another - and isn't variety the spice of life? But the Irish know potatoes and know all the best possible ways to cook them! I'd always look to the Irish for the best in potato recipes, just as I'd look no further than Finland, Sweden or Denmark for the best place to eat herring!

Ian :chef:

Saliha

Thanks Ian to clearing this to me. :ohmy: I think that idea of "pancakes" is quite different here in the Nordic Countries. My pancake is like crepe to you, I think.

:oops:

Ian M.

Hi, Saliha - You're absolutely correct as to the size and thickness of what you make (similar to a crepe) and the traditional American or European (for the most part) "pancake". It took me a bit to get used to pancakes like what you generally get in restaurants around here - seemed too thick and "doughy" for me, at first. But they truly are awfully good. I sat in a breakfast only restaurant recently and watched a man who had a heart attack on a plate, so to speak - a full double stack of about six to eight pancakes, slathered in butter and syrup, along with three fried eggs, home fried potatoes and a complete rasher of bacon. He was overweight - to put it mildly - and I wondered if his doctor knew how he eats! Oh well - I'll bet it tasted pretty darned good, though!

I was thinking on the issue of how different things are cooked in different countries and what different phrases can be used or different traditions and customs observed in different places and it occurred to me that even Ireland and Finland are different in so many ways - for example, over a good drink of wine, liquor or beer you say "Skole" (at least I think you do - I know they do in Denmark) and in Ireland, we say "Slante". It all means the same wish for good health, good luck and/or good life in either country - just a different way of expressing it. I love that kind of "difference". So too, with customs and traditions and the cooking of various foods. Makes the world go round, doesn't it?

Ian :chef:

Saliha

My pancake looks like:

large.jpg

http://tearsheven.blogspot.fi/2012/05/30-kesa-suunnitelmaa.html

:glare: They are Super Tasty by the way.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Very interesting. I printed the recipe to try later on. DW is half Irish, but never heard of this from her peeps. I guess this Slovenian boy will the one to introduce her to it. LOL Surprised no eggs as a binder. I add egg(s) to my latkes when I make them.