ChickenFried Chcken

LADawg

This morning 8 out of the 10 topics were about things other than cooking. Seems like that, that has been the case for the past few days. Well, there are always the forums that I can read. Most of them have been very interesting. Alright, enough of that.
My wife is from Texas, and both of our children were born in Dallas. While not eating a lot Chicken Fried Steak while living there I was well aware that it was THE States most served food. I, myself, have cooked numerous times since leaving Texas.
A few days ago I came across a recipe for, of all things, Chicken Fried CHICKEN. What a novel idea. I gave this a try and it’s very easy, fast, and not too bad

CHICKEN FRIED CHICKEN

4 Chicken Breasts, boneless, skinless
1 1/2 Cups Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 Teaspoon Black Pepper, fresh ground
1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne, or to taste
2 Eggs
1 Cup Buttermilk
Oil, for frying
Cream Gravy, for serving

Pound the Chicken Breasts until they are 1/4-inch thick.
Mix together the Flour, Salt, Black Pepper, and Cayenne and place in a wide shallow bowl or plate. Whisk together the Eggs with the Buttermilk in a wide shallow bow. Dredge each Chicken Breast in the Seasoned Flour. Dip the Flour-coated Breasts into the Egg/Buttermilk mixture and then dredge in the Flour again. Place the breaded Chicken Breasts on a sheet pan.
Heat up the oven to 200°. In a large heavy skillet, such as a cast-iron skillet, on medium-high heat up an inch of Oil to 350°, about 5 minutes. If you don’t have a thermometer, you can test the temperature by sticking a wooden spoon into the oil. If it bubbles around the spoon, it should be ready for frying.
Working in batches, gently lower each Breast into the Oil and cook for 2 minutes per side, or until lightly browned, turning once. Drain on a paper towel and place in the oven while you fry the remaining breasts.
Serve with cream gravy.

Yield: 4 servings

CREAM GRAVY

2 Tablespoons Pan Drippings, Bacon Grease or Vegetable Oil
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 1/2 Cups Milk
Salt and Black Pepper, to taste

Combine Fat with Flour in a hot skillet, continuously stirring, cook on medium for a couple of minutes until a dark oux is formed.
Add Milk slowly to skillet, and mix with roux using either a whisk or wooden spoon (be sure and press out any lumps). Turn heat to low and continue stirring until mixture is thickened, a couple more minutes. Add Salt and Pepper to taste. If gravy is too thick for your taste, you can thin it by adding either more Milk or Water a tablespoon at a time.

chilefarmer

I to like chicken fried steak,,, And chicken fried chicken. Heck I like anything fried. Homesick Texan is a great site. Thinks for the recipe. CF

Cooksie

Site Supporter
In her blog on Chicken Fried Chicken, she mentions Grandy's having chicken fried steak. I don't remember that. What I do remember about Grandy's is their chicken fried gizzards :blob_blue:. I loved them. If you ordered 1 doz, you'd get about 2 doz.

Shermie

Site Supporter
This morning 8 out of the 10 topics were about things other than cooking. Seems like that, that has been the case for the past few days. Well, there are always the forums that I can read. Most of them have been very interesting. Alright, enough of that.
My wife is from Texas, and both of our children were born in Dallas. While not eating a lot Chicken Fried Steak while living there I was well aware that it was THE States most served food. I, myself, have cooked numerous times since leaving Texas.
A few days ago I came across a recipe for, of all things, Chicken Fried CHICKEN. What a novel idea. I gave this a try and it’s very easy, fast, and not too bad

CHICKEN FRIED CHICKEN

4 Chicken Breasts, boneless, skinless
1 1/2 Cups Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 Teaspoon Black Pepper, fresh ground
1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne, or to taste
2 Eggs
1 Cup Buttermilk
Oil, for frying
Cream Gravy, for serving

Pound the Chicken Breasts until they are 1/4-inch thick.
Mix together the Flour, Salt, Black Pepper, and Cayenne and place in a wide shallow bowl or plate. Whisk together the Eggs with the Buttermilk in a wide shallow bow. Dredge each Chicken Breast in the Seasoned Flour. Dip the Flour-coated Breasts into the Egg/Buttermilk mixture and then dredge in the Flour again. Place the breaded Chicken Breasts on a sheet pan.
Heat up the oven to 200°. In a large heavy skillet, such as a cast-iron skillet, on medium-high heat up an inch of Oil to 350°, about 5 minutes. If you don’t have a thermometer, you can test the temperature by sticking a wooden spoon into the oil. If it bubbles around the spoon, it should be ready for frying.
Working in batches, gently lower each Breast into the Oil and cook for 2 minutes per side, or until lightly browned, turning once. Drain on a paper towel and place in the oven while you fry the remaining breasts.
Serve with cream gravy.

Yield: 4 servings

CREAM GRAVY

2 Tablespoons Pan Drippings, Bacon Grease or Vegetable Oil
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 1/2 Cups Milk
Salt and Black Pepper, to taste

Combine Fat with Flour in a hot skillet, continuously stirring, cook on medium for a couple of minutes until a dark oux is formed.
Add Milk slowly to skillet, and mix with roux using either a whisk or wooden spoon (be sure and press out any lumps). Turn heat to low and continue stirring until mixture is thickened, a couple more minutes. Add Salt and Pepper to taste. If gravy is too thick for your taste, you can thin it by adding either more Milk or Water a tablespoon at a time.

I pretty much make buttermilk fried chicken this way, only I let the chicken soak and marinate in the seasoned buttermilk / egg mixture overnight in the fridge.

Then I dredge the chicken pieces in the flour, let them sit with the flour on them enough to wet the flour, then it is either deep fried or fried in the skillet. The wet flour helps make the coating EVEN MORE crispy and crunchy!! :eating2: