Zakuska - Russian appetizer table

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, so two of my dearest foodie friends and I decided we needed a get-together. We like themes for our cooking events, and this time we wanted to celebrate Russian cookery in honor of the Winter Olympics in Sochi.

A little research led us to “zakuska”, which is a tradition of appetizers in Russia. Since we all prefer to graze all day instead of sitting down to a big dinner, we heartily embraced the zakuska idea.

With one exception, the dishes we served were very simple to prepare and relatively light. The one exception to simplicity was the Russian Black Bread, which had 5 different flours, chocolate, shallots, espresso, fennel seeds, caraway and some other weird ingredients. Thankfully, my friend, Jan, is an accomplished bread baker, and she turned out two loaves of delicious bread which we used as a pallet for the rest of the stuff.

The rest of the stuff:

Chopped egg and butter pate
Dill pickles
Chopped radish/Cream cheese spread
White bean and bacon pate
Salted mushrooms with dill and garlic
Garlic/Mozzarella cheese spread
Assorted green and black olives
Two kinds of smoked salmon (regular and marinated) with caviar
Liverwurst with homemade mustard

No zakuska is complete without cold vodka, sipped straight. We heard that Russian vodka is really the only vodka that is palatable enough for most people to drink straight, so we did a side-by-side-by –side taste test with three vodkas: two potato vodkas and one imported Russian vodka. We agreed with what we’d read: the Russian vodka was FAR smoother than either of the two potato vodka, with no burn at all.

Last, but certainly not least, my friend, Ann, made a “Chocolate Salami” for our Russian dessert. It has a consistency similar to fudge, but not as sweet – sort of like chocolate cookie dough, with crunched up vanilla wafers inside. Delicious! The recipe made three “salamis” – lots leftover.

This was a great food event with wonderful friends! USA! USA! USA!
Lee

1 Russian Black Bread.JPG

2 Russian Black Bread, sliced.JPG

3 Russian appetizer platter.JPG

4 Russian appetizer platter, 2.JPG

5 Russian Zakuska.JPG

6 Russian Zakuska, 2.JPG

7 Vodka taste-test.JPG

8 Russian Vodka.JPG

9 Vodka and salmon canape.JPG

10 Jan with Russian canape.JPG

11 Jan and Ann, Russian Olympics 2014.JPG

12 Chocolate Salami.JPG

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Re: Zakuka - Russian appetizer table

:clap: Love it! I would like to try the white bean and bacon pate.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter

that is so gorgeous, lee. i would pay to be there for that dinner. me & 1 lady drink shots w/ pickle juice in 'em. they compliment ea. other so well.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Cooksie, the white bean pate was:

1 and 1/2 cups white beans, soaked overnight and boiled the next day till tender. Six slices of bacon, fried till crisp - set aside
1 medium onion, chopped, sautéed in bacon fat till tender

In a blender or with a hand blender, process the beans, 4 slices of crumbled bacon, the cooked onion and bacon fat
Add salt, pepper, and paprika (I used smoked paprika).
Top with the other two slices of bacon, crumbled

Luvs, I adore pickle juice, so I will definitely try it in some cold vodka! Thanks!

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

:wow::hotdog::blob_blue:

That looks awesome! I love Russian black seed bread

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
would take me daze to graze thru that pasture! stunning!

>>vodka
silly me. and here I was under the impression vodka by definition was fermented & distilled from (only) potatoes.... so I went researching.... veddy interistink....

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter

Luvs, I adore pickle juice, so I will definitely try it in some cold vodka! Thanks!

Lee

that's how we drink those shots~ if i see her & her guy later, i'll mention a pickle-shot.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Your Zakuska spread looks phenomenal. Me and the Mrs love parties with tables of grazing samplings. We're going to a fundraiser in April for the school she works at that's called Taste of Nations. It's $50 a head and there are samplings from about 12-15 nation rooms, with 3-4 offerings in each room. We always seem to overeat, in spite of only taking small portions. But, like your Zakuska, it's hard to not enjoy the wonderful foods.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Rooms for the cuisine of different nations! That sounds absolutely wonderful, Joe!

Please take and post photos!

Lee

waybomb

Zakuska - spoken za-koh-ska.
I asked my wife about this - she's from Poland and knows Russian language and customs well.
Yes, for snacking on with Vodka (spoken waw-dka; "waw" like "saw")

As for Vodka, there's a bunch of it made up here in Michigan from grapes.
Divine is probably the best known local Vodka.

Just like Karakow and Warsaw.
Spoken kra-kauv, and Var-sah-va.

V is W and W is V.

Ok, back to the usual programming................

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, Moxie! That article confirmed all I'd read, and mentioned many of the dishes we made!

Waybomb, does your wife ever post here? Half of my family was Polish, and I'd love to see what recipes your wife has to share!

Lee

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, so two of my dearest foodie friends and I decided we needed a get-together. We like themes for our cooking events, and this time we wanted to celebrate Russian cookery in honor of the Winter Olympics in Sochi.

A little research led us to “zakuska”, which is a tradition of appetizers in Russia. Since we all prefer to graze all day instead of sitting down to a big dinner, we heartily embraced the zakuska idea.

With one exception, the dishes we served were very simple to prepare and relatively light. The one exception to simplicity was the Russian Black Bread, which had 5 different flours, chocolate, shallots, espresso, fennel seeds, caraway and some other weird ingredients. Thankfully, my friend, Jan, is an accomplished bread baker, and she turned out two loaves of delicious bread which we used as a pallet for the rest of the stuff.

The rest of the stuff:

Chopped egg and butter pate
Dill pickles
Chopped radish/Cream cheese spread
White bean and bacon pate
Salted mushrooms with dill and garlic
Garlic/Mozzarella cheese spread
Assorted green and black olives
Two kinds of smoked salmon (regular and marinated) with caviar
Liverwurst with homemade mustard

No zakuska is complete without cold vodka, sipped straight. We heard that Russian vodka is really the only vodka that is palatable enough for most people to drink straight, so we did a side-by-side-by –side taste test with three vodkas: two potato vodkas and one imported Russian vodka. We agreed with what we’d read: the Russian vodka was FAR smoother than either of the two potato vodka, with no burn at all.

Last, but certainly not least, my friend, Ann, made a “Chocolate Salami” for our Russian dessert. It has a consistency similar to fudge, but not as sweet – sort of like chocolate cookie dough, with crunched up vanilla wafers inside. Delicious! The recipe made three “salamis” – lots leftover.

This was a great food event with wonderful friends! USA! USA! USA!
Lee

View attachment 18097

View attachment 18098

View attachment 18099

View attachment 18100

View attachment 18101

View attachment 18102

View attachment 18103

View attachment 18104

View attachment 18105

View attachment 18106

View attachment 18107

View attachment 18108

Beautiful pic! Thanks for sharing! :)

waybomb

Waybomb, does your wife ever post here? Half of my family was Polish, and I'd love to see what recipes your wife has to share!

Lee

Nope, she is not a computer person. But if you want to know how to make something, I'd be happy to ask her.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nope, she is not a computer person. But if you want to know how to make something, I'd be happy to ask her.

Okay, great!

How does she make "Lazy Pierogi"?

Thanks, WB!

Lee

P.S. If you do post a recipe for that, please start it's own thread in the Ethnic Forum. :flowers:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
OSis I would love to see the recipe on the Garlic/Mozzarella cheese spread the other spreads I've had before and have recipes for.

CharlieD

Mmmmm, that looks yum, supper-supper yum. I wish I was there.:respect: :eat1:

What's the story with cucumber in the water? Russian standard is simply the best vodka ever, especially "platinum". :encore:

Coffee in bread is an American thing, Never ever did I hear to have anything like that in bread when I was living in Soviet Union. Bread looks awesome though I want the detailed recipe. I have been trying to make real Russian bread, so far without success.:sad:

CharlieD

The last picture, was it a chocolate "salami" ? Oh, duh, I did not finish reading your post, when I posted this. But I sure knew what it was. Love chocolate salami.

waybomb

Okay, great!

How does she make "Lazy Pierogi"?

Thanks, WB!

Lee

P.S. If you do post a recipe for that, please start it's own thread in the Ethnic Forum. :flowers:

She does not know what a lazy pierogi is. She has made various cheese, meat, cabbage, and a few fruit type piergos in the past.

What is a lazy pierogi?

The hard part is, she uses a little of this and a little of that, doesn't use a measuring device. Old school, like a grandma. Don't tell her I said that!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
JoeC, the garlic/cheese spread was VERY simple:

8 oz. shredded mozzarella
3 T. or more of mayo
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. chives, minced
Salt and pepper

(I added some dry mustard, because I like it)

Charlie, the cucumber was a garnish for the Russian vodka, not in water. I've asked my friend, Jan, for the recipe for the Russian Black Bread.

Waybomb, Lazy Pierogi is basically deconstructed pierogi, either cabbage or cheese, with some sort of pasta. My Aunt Stella used egg noodles.

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
JoeC, the garlic/cheese spread was VERY simple:

8 oz. shredded mozzarella
3 T. or more of mayo
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. chives, minced
Salt and pepper

(I added some dry mustard, because I like it)

Charlie, the cucumber was a garnish for the Russian vodka, not in water. I've asked my friend, Jan, for the recipe for the Russian Black Bread.

Waybomb, Lazy Pierogi is basically deconstructed pierogi, either cabbage or cheese, with some sort of pasta. My Aunt Stella used egg noodles.

Lee

Thanks OSis and I added some mustard the the egg one also just because I like a little mustard with my egg salad. :wink:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my aunt would make quick pierogi w/ lasagna noodles, & we luved/luv when she makes 'em. that is reserved 4 family events- then we'll have 1 or 2 on serving tables, as she warms another or 2~
they disappear kinda quickly.