What are you doing today?

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Have to find a new washing machine. Can't believe they don't have agitators in most of them. Got a circulator pump that is not running on the wood boiler to tear apart or replace. MIL passed away on Saturday so will see what plans are for services. Wan't to seed clover but it is raining so that will have to wait.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Murphy's Law has been in full effect around here, so I'm 3-4 weeks behind schedule on this little project. The first time that I ordered the grass, my order didn't make the truck because it was full. The second time, the truck didn't make a full load, and he'll only deliver a full load :glare:. Time kept ticking by, I didn't hear anything, so I decided to wait until next spring. Friday they deliver--no call, no nothing. I found out later that my phone was out-of-order.

In the meantime, the guy I had lined up to lay the grass started a big job and didn't have time for my small job. I can't blame him, gotta make big bucks when you can. Anyway, I couldn't find anyone else, so I decided to bite the big wee-nee and do it myself.

I rented a small tiller, and the cleaning, tilling, and raking was actually pretty easy. Picking up those big squares of grass just about ate my lunch, especially after it rained...gah, heavy. I got almost half a pallet laid and then called UNCLE. Someone is coming this evening to finish it up :mrgreen:.

It's so late that I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope that we have enough warm weather left for it to get rooted. If not, big crocodile tears will be shed.

It's not perfect, but that's about as good as it gets for me.

NewGrass.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Sorry to hear about your MIL, mountain man. I'll keep the family in my prayers.

Welcome back Trish!

That looks great Cooksie!

Embryodad

Looks like the price of beef will be just whatever the price of feed will cost.

DD Maria added more animals to her farm family.

1rys.jpg

kbsl.jpg

5f1z.jpg

n9vg.jpg

q1fy.jpg

gdcq.jpg

The beef needs a lot more feeding before we get to eat steak.

Embryodad

Have to find a new washing machine. Can't believe they don't have agitators in most of them. Got a circulator pump that is not running on the wood boiler to tear apart or replace. MIL passed away on Saturday so will see what plans are for services. Wan't to seed clover but it is raining so that will have to wait.
Sorry to hear of MIL !

I passed up a washer machine that was in the town classifieds. It was a whirlpool 2005 model the guy had it in a apartment, and a neighbor squealed because they are not allowed in the apartments. It was used for two months, and he was selling it for 185.00. The same basic workings as my older 1999 model; with the agitator and same basic settings etc.
DW was scared about the purchase; so I let it go. Grrrrrrrrr. I could kick myself!

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Had a crazy day around here. Went to the barn and fed the cows...they were not there. Neighbor I bought them from had hauled in about 60 more over the weekend so there was a lot of bawling and mooing going on. My 2 must have wanted to join the party since they broke out and made their way down there. While we were rounding them up they ran the fence and his bunch on the inside did the same. Then they made a turn into the yard and saw the open barn door and went right on in. It is a big old Amish dairy barn so I shut them in the one isolation stall at the end and took them down their feed trough and 2 buckets of water and a bale of hay. They will stay there till next Monday morning when they go to the butcher. I will feed and water them twice a day till they go. Got a lot of the bee stuff moved to the new location in the barn. Will drain the waterers tomorrow and clear out for the chickens.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I don't know much about goats, but I'm assuming some of those are nanny goats since I see the little one looking for something :D. You can make Maria some goat cheese, looks pretty easy:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uusPsiUqeTc[/ame]

Looks like the price of beef will be just whatever the price of feed will cost.

DD Maria added more animals to her farm family.

5f1z.jpg

The beef needs a lot more feeding before we get to eat steak.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Did the goat cheese thing years ago when we raised and milked them. My how time has flown! Had a rough night last night and today when I was loading some hay bales on my truck I felt something pop or tear in my right hip. By tonight it is hurting so bad I can hardly stand to walk on it much. Just did the hot tub and will try some of the Amish linament in a little while. This week of carrying hay bales and 5 gallon buckets of water is taking a toll on me. Can't wait till the cows are gone. Then I have to clean out where they were as well as my neighbor's stall where they are now. Took the Amish boys to a few bow shops and hit a hellish snow squall around Bath, NY. The temp dropped from 45 to 36 in less than 10 miles and visibility went to crap. I could see the tracks of the big truck ahead of me and fools were still flying by doing at least 70. I hate folks who don't slow down with the weather!!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
During the last two weeks, I've become somewhat of a Tracfone expert ;), or maybe I should say a Tracfone for Dummies Expert :mrgreen:.

I did a lot of research on choosing the right phone for my area. GSM and CDMA were Greek to me before I started this process. I also think that I've experienced everything that could possibly go wrong, how long it takes to fix it, and, probably most importantly, how to communicate with the majority of their service representatives.

When they're reading those codes off to you, it's not "one, two, three, four." It's "one, two, tree, four." The first person who I spoke to really rubbed me the wrong way. I was trying to ask her a question, and she just kept talking over me saying, "Caller, Caller, Caller!" Meow, my nails extended, and I felt my blood pressure begin to rise. All (and there was a total of about 10 :bonk:) the others were polite and helpful.

It's all fixed now, and I think it's going to work just fine for me. I was paying
Verizon $30/month--$360/year--and not even using 1/4 of the minutes. Now I can get three months and 140 minutes for $20--$80/year. That's plenty of minutes for me.

Embryodad

During the last two weeks, I've become somewhat of a Tracfone expert ;), or maybe I should say a Tracfone for Dummies Expert :mrgreen:.

I did a lot of research on choosing the right phone for my area. GSM and CDMA were Greek to me before I started this process. I also think that I've experienced everything that could possibly go wrong, how long it takes to fix it, and, probably most importantly, how to communicate with the majority of their service representatives.

When they're reading those codes off to you, it's not "one, two, three, four." It's "one, two, tree, four." The first person who I spoke to really rubbed me the wrong way. I was trying to ask her a question, and she just kept talking over me saying, "Caller, Caller, Caller!" Meow, my nails extended, and I felt my blood pressure begin to rise. All (and there was a total of about 10 :bonk:) the others were polite and helpful.

It's all fixed now, and I think it's going to work just fine for me. I was paying
Verizon $30/month--$360/year--and not even using 1/4 of the minutes. Now I can get three months and 140 minutes for $20--$80/year. That's plenty of minutes for me.
cooksie...I call that the circle of the abyss.

Embryodad

Blew the leaves in the front and mulched the leaves in the back with the mulching blades on the tractor / mower.

Then Finished the brake line replacement on the Neighbors Ford. The guy at the auto supply gave us the wrong brake line. He pulled the line that said Japan and the threads were a scosh too large by .5 mm. Grrrrr! Went back and got the right one, and all fixed now.

Brrrrrrr!! Sure was cold with the wind blowing under the truck. :ohmy:

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Had a fun day today. Went to my basement office to get a stamp to mail a bill payment. Heard this funny sound and thought it was coming from the hot tub. Turns out it was the pressure switch on the well pump blew a little piece of gasket and was spraying water under very high pressure against the door of the root cellar. Luckily I had a spare switch from my old landlord days so I put it on and adjusted the air pressure in the tank to it's settings. Then right before I left to get tires on the rear of the Prius the salesman who sold me the Suzuki called and said they gave Penndot the wrong VIN by 1 digit. When I just renewed my tags it came up as a vehicle identical to mine that had been totalled. They had sold them both the same day and submitted the wrong paperwork for both of them. He was going to Fedex the papers to straighten it out. Told him I was going next door to get tires and would stop by. After I signed the new papers I got him to give me a free oil change since he would have paid more than that for Fedex. I did stop at the battery dealer and he put a new bulb in my flashlight for free. Hell, they had given me the light for buying so many batteries for the Amish for their buggies. He asked today don't they ever go bad. Told him as far as I know they are all still working fine but the boys run them down spotting deer.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
went to the store but forgot the bread, so . . . dusting off the olde' kit bag.....

Attachments

• DSC_2515s.jpg
    DSC_2515s.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 131

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>home churned butter . .

heehee. actually I've gotten into "home made butter" of late - my "churn" is a KA mixer but , , ,

the "left over buttermilk" is absolutely superb for pancakes & waffles. it's getting to the point, the butter ain't the point, it's the buttermilk!

Leni

Creating misery for myself. I am getting the bedroom ready for painting and new carpet. Among other things we have to scrape the cottage cheese off the ceiling. Easy to do but what a mess.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
"cooksie...I call that the circle of the abyss"
Lol, Jimmy, that went right over my head :blush:.

Good luck, Leni!
I wouldn't last very long at scraping a ceiling. Put something in front of me or below me, and I'm just fine and can scrape for hours. If the job requires reaching overhead and applying any kind of pressure at all, I wimp out in about 15 minutes.

Leni

It is a job so I am giving it to my son and his friend both of whom work in construction. I've done it before but just don't feel like doing it again. The big part for me is moving things out of the bedroom.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Worked on my lane yesterday scattering stone with the backhoe and grading it for winter. Pushed a big pile of wood up in front of the woodshed and covered it with plastic before the rain started. Will be needing it next week as we are only going to have highs in the low 30's. Have to clean up my building to back the camper in for the winter today.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Been so busy I can barely keep up. Wife had a bad reaction to a drug and passed out and fell on a chair and the floor. Broke her rib and broke out in hives. Right after it happened the old neighbor lady passed away. Wife was in the hospital for 4 days and got out the day of the funeral. We had been caring for the old gal's cats for about 2 months now and I still do it today. This week I spent 3 part days digging water lines for my neighbor whose barn was destroyed by the tornado this summer. Plus keeping the greenhouses watered and warm as well as most of the cooking and cleaning. Don't leave much time for anything else!:yum:

Embryodad

Been so busy I can barely keep up. Wife had a bad reaction to a drug and passed out and fell on a chair and the floor. Broke her rib and broke out in hives. Right after it happened the old neighbor lady passed away. Wife was in the hospital for 4 days and got out the day of the funeral. We had been caring for the old gal's cats for about 2 months now and I still do it today. This week I spent 3 part days digging water lines for my neighbor whose barn was destroyed by the tornado this summer. Plus keeping the greenhouses watered and warm as well as most of the cooking and cleaning. Don't leave much time for anything else!:yum:
Boy oh boy!...what a shame.
Hope quick healing to the wife. darn, what a bummer.

Sorry to hear the elder woman neighbor passed.

I'm sittin with the heating pad on my neck and shoulder.
I was installing a turbo compressor on the neighbors kids car today, and the twisting and stretching did me in. Whew!... the joints are all swollen.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I hear you Jimmy! Past 2 days I have had to take vicodin for my neck and arm pain. Been a long time since I ran that many hours on my machine. You do a lot of turning your head and keeping your arms elevated to run the levers. I sure ain't used to it anymore.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Weather is nice today, so I'm going to try to get a little home repair project done this evening. I've got to sand, re-caulk, and do some painting around the front door. Then it will be time to switch the wreath on the front door to a fall wreath. It has little fake red berries all over it and drives the birds nuts.

Embryodad

The wife wrote out the last few cards to send out for Christmas.
She's on way to the P.O. to mail them.
We have a "We" too living here. Too bad the "We" always turns out to be "Me", and "Me" only! LOL
SOoooo! the other (We) said," We gotta take down the corn stalks tied to the fence!" Well, The ME wound up doing that.
Water was delivered, so We ( Me alone again ) stacked the ten jugs in the garage.
DW asked,"What are WE gonna have for supper?".... I said,"I don't really know what WE are gonna have, but I know I / Me is gonna have some soup from the can, and a nice sandwich with ham, cheese, and lettuce and tomato; with lots of mayonnaise. LOL
Nothing today was without injury. Whacked my arm throwing scraps into the animal feeding pit, and took a pea size of flesh off the arm. Geepers, I bled like a stuck pig. Must have been the aspirin I take every day?

Went to put the battery charger on the tractor battery, and pulled the sciatica just bending down to get the end of the electric extension cord plug.
Haaaa, it felt like William Tell was out using me as target practice.
I think if I just take it easy for a few moments it will simmer down, and go away.
Now, that's a lot of hoping!

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Amish boys moved my coal stove into the greenhouse today. Will go for stove pipe and an insulated thimble for the wall. I am putting a piece of steel along the end of the potting bench and on the ceiling above it. Hope to get it fired up before the big cold comes in.