Carrot Souffle

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I finally made this, after meaning to make it for over a decade. I wanted to see what all the rave reviews were about.

It's an easy dish to make. It does NOT rise up like a soufflé. It is quite sweet.

I made half of the recipe, and only used 1 cup of sugar. Had some Jim Beam, so I used that. I didn't dust the top with confectioner's sugar.

Okay, so if you want a sweet side dish for Thanksgiving instead of sweet potatoes, this is the ticket.

Lee

Carrot Soufflé

from Jackie
This recipe was one of the top 10 recipes of 1998 here in Baton Rouge. The recipe comes from Picadilly Cafeterias and was printed in the Baton Rouge Advocate. It's a great recipe for the holidays.

• 3 1/2 lbs. peeled carrots (3 and a half one-pound bags)
  • 1 1/2 lbs. sugar (3 cups)
  • 1 tbl. baking powder
  • 1 tbl. vanilla
  • ¼ cup Jack Daniels (optional)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/2 lb. margarine
  • Powdered sugar

1. Steam or boil carrots until extra soft. Drain well.
2. While carrots are warm, add sugar, baking powder, and vanilla. (and Jack, optional)
3. Whip with mixer until smooth.
4. Add flour and mix well.
5. Whip eggs and add to flour mixture, blend well.
6. Add softened margarine to mixture and blend well.
7. Pour mixture into baking dish about half full as the soufflé will rise.
8. Bake in 350-degree oven about 1 hour or until top is a light golden brown.
9. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar over top before serving.

Serves 10.

Michael D. D’Amico
Picadilly Cafeteria

Carrot 1.jpg
Carrot 2.jpg

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
there's quite a number of vegetable base "souffle" - I've made several different ones over the years. indeed they do not rise like a classic egg&cheese type souffle - methinks it's the "beaten eggs" ingredient that lends credit to the souffle name.

can't think of one of these tho that whips the egg whites separately - so I did that with a butternut squash one and one year for the Xmas sweet potatoes - whipped the whites to stiff peaks, beat the yolks to light yellow - the egg whites got folded in as the last step pre-oven. you do get a lot more puff out that way, altho not identical to the the classic souffle.